Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano on Freeman today « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#30 : December 24, 2012, 01:03:28 AM

Monte Ball paired with Martin wold be filthy!

HELL YEAH! Dr. Dre

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#31 : December 24, 2012, 09:57:35 AM

Josh looks great when the run game is working and his receivers are open. Problem is opposing DC's ain't stupid; they know our strenghts and are generally capable of taking away our strengths and forcing the QB to do other things. Josh right now is NOT creative on the fly, struggling with making quick decisions.
      Another play which he did vs the Rams that made me nuts was he took off running on a 3rd down, which was great, but went into his slide a yard or 2 SHORT of the 1st down!! Yeah, defenders were closing in, but if he DIVES forward or runs hard he's got the 1st fairly easy...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 24, 2012, 10:19:13 AM

Get a game manager, draft another solid RB in the mid rounds like Monte Ball...and work on the defense. The 49ers are a good example that you can still win with a game manager  if you have a great defense and running game. Freeman cannot manage anything. He can't be trusted and has no consistency. He doesn't fit what Schiano wants to do.

Not really disagreeing with your thought process however I'm not sure your thought process agrees with the coach....or at least what the coach has proclaimed. It was supposed to be run it, run it, throw it downfield. Bring in the typical game manager type and it's a tough offense to run or the team philosophy would need to change pretty quick.

Being a run first team that takes shots deep doesn't mean you don't still need to be able to consistently execute the underneath game too. Freeman can't even hit quick slants, screens, and dump off passes. Game managers can throw it deep in to single coverage too......any professional QB can. We need someone who can do more than that.

The game manager type isn't one to get the ball downfield consistently...Alex Smith being a perfect example of that. I agree that this is Freeman's big weakness but a game manager will present other issues to overcome which without a stout defense to get the ball back will be hard to overcome. Rather than getting the QB and building the defense, considering they currently have Freeman, I think fix the defense and then if or when he ultimately fails he can be replaced. I'd like to see them bring somebody in but I don't think significant resources should be spent on the position.

Alex Smith had a great TE and an under achieving WR. It's why they went out and made the desperation signing of Randy Moss. If he has Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams getting single coverage outside, there is no doubt in my mind he could throw it deep.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#33 : December 24, 2012, 10:38:42 AM

Get a game manager, draft another solid RB in the mid rounds like Monte Ball...and work on the defense. The 49ers are a good example that you can still win with a game manager  if you have a great defense and running game. Freeman cannot manage anything. He can't be trusted and has no consistency. He doesn't fit what Schiano wants to do.

Not really disagreeing with your thought process however I'm not sure your thought process agrees with the coach....or at least what the coach has proclaimed. It was supposed to be run it, run it, throw it downfield. Bring in the typical game manager type and it's a tough offense to run or the team philosophy would need to change pretty quick.

Being a run first team that takes shots deep doesn't mean you don't still need to be able to consistently execute the underneath game too. Freeman can't even hit quick slants, screens, and dump off passes. Game managers can throw it deep in to single coverage too......any professional QB can. We need someone who can do more than that.

The game manager type isn't one to get the ball downfield consistently...Alex Smith being a perfect example of that. I agree that this is Freeman's big weakness but a game manager will present other issues to overcome which without a stout defense to get the ball back will be hard to overcome. Rather than getting the QB and building the defense, considering they currently have Freeman, I think fix the defense and then if or when he ultimately fails he can be replaced. I'd like to see them bring somebody in but I don't think significant resources should be spent on the position.

Alex Smith had a great TE and an under achieving WR. It's why they went out and made the desperation signing of Randy Moss. If he has Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams getting single coverage outside, there is no doubt in my mind he could throw it deep.

I don't think so. He struggles outside the numbers.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#34 : December 24, 2012, 10:45:50 AM

It's not his strength, but give him two legit deep threats and I promise you he can throw deep jump balls in the general vicinity....which is all Freeman does.

I'm not saying go get Alex Smith. I don't want Smith. All I'm saying is just about an QB can throw deep jump balls to talented receivers.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 24, 2012, 11:12:52 AM

Alex Smith has a noodle arm.  He can't consistently hit the long ball.  A lot of "game managers" are the same:  accurate in the short passing game, make few mistakes, conservative play.  That will be a poor fit if we keep the same offensive scheme.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#36 : December 24, 2012, 11:17:24 AM

It's not his strength, but give him two legit deep threats and I promise you he can throw deep jump balls in the general vicinity....which is all Freeman does.

I'm not saying go get Alex Smith. I don't want Smith. All I'm saying is just about an QB can throw deep jump balls to talented receivers.

Thats alll he has been doing for 3.5 years. I dont care what any stats show.. I know what my eyes see. He blows and the team needs to move on.

Sam Ram 33

Second String

#37 : December 24, 2012, 11:52:05 AM

Say what you want about Freeman... The reason no one talks about him if you think hes a "bust" (which i dont) is because he isn't even the worst QB taken in the first round of that draft.  Mark Sanchez is 100% worse than Freeman.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 24, 2012, 01:11:53 PM

Alex Smith has a noodle arm.  He can't consistently hit the long ball.  A lot of "game managers" are the same:  accurate in the short passing game, make few mistakes, conservative play.  That will be a poor fit if we keep the same offensive scheme.

Maybe Alex Smith isn't as bad as you think he is... or perhaps you think Freeman is better than he is.

Where passes travel 11 yards or more through the air...
Alex Smith completes 53.6% of his passes, averaging 11.8 yards per attempt, and a QB Rating of 88.47
Freeman completes 41.5% of his passes, averaging 10.4 yards per attempt, and a QB Rating of 87.65

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#39 : December 24, 2012, 05:24:26 PM

Say what you want about Freeman... The reason no one talks about him if you think hes a "bust" (which i dont) is because he isn't even the worst QB taken in the first round of that draft.  Mark Sanchez is 100% worse than Freeman.

He's better than Sanchez.....really? That's the excuse for keeping him that you're gonna role with?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 24, 2012, 06:53:21 PM

Maybe Alex Smith isn't as bad as you think he is... or perhaps you think Freeman is better than he is.

Alex Smith completes 53.6% of his passes, averaging 11.8 yards per attempt, and a QB Rating of 88.47
Freeman completes 41.5% of his passes, averaging 10.4 yards per attempt, and a QB Rating of 87.65

Smith only took 18 shots over 20 yds this year, while Freeman has thrown 78.  The long ball isn't his game.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 24, 2012, 08:34:14 PM

Smith only took 18 shots over 20 yds this year, while Freeman has thrown 78.  The long ball isn't his game.

Yea what we need is a guy who can hit the short intermediate throws and bombs. Don't know where we can find that though? These guys don't grow on trees.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano on Freeman today « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools