Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When do you know if a QB is a bust? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #15 : December 26, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »

When do you know if a QB is a bust?

When the whole stadium does a facepalm wave instead of standing up and sitting down wave.

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

« #16 : December 27, 2012, 08:25:46 AM »

He's only 24.

You can only say that for 2 more weeks before he turns 25.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #17 : December 29, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »

I  heard an expert commentator say that he thought once an NFL QB got 50+ NFL games under his belt, you'd know if he was going to be successful as an NFL QB.

Anyone know where Josh stands as far as number of games goes?

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #18 : December 29, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »

I  heard an expert commentator say that he thought once an NFL QB got 50+ NFL games under his belt, you'd know if he was going to be successful as an NFL QB.

Anyone know where Josh stands as far as number of games goes?

Is Freeman pressing?
“I don’t feel like he’s pressing. I think he’s an aggressive player who has skills and he wants to use them. As I said yesterday, it’s such a fine line between being a great play and pressing or forcing and you don’t ever want to get your quarterback afraid of saying, I’m going to put it in that window. Because now all of a sudden you’re a dud and we don’t want that ever. We never want to take that out of a player. The game management comes with experience. And by that I mean knowing how the whole game is going. We can talk through it and say we’re playing good defense here, let’s make sure, you practice dropping back and seeing the coverage and throwing the ball and that takes a lot of experience to know that one’s a close one, it’s a tight game, we need it, I’m going to take it or we’re doing a great job, let’s not take that one. That may sound easy but it’s not easy. It’s sitting there on a platter for you and you have the skill to do it, but I don’t think Josh is deficient in any of that in any way. He doesn’t have enough years and reps to be really, really great at it yet. And you look at any quarterback who is in that phase right now where he is, in that 50-game areas, that’s where they start to really get it. Now in college you only have them for four years, but if you have a four-year starter, at the end of his junior year, the beginning of his senior year, they really start to get that. And Josh is getting it. He is. You can see him getting, he’s got such a better understanding of the whole game. And I think as I’ve said many times over a long period of time, we’ll get it all of a sudden. But it takes all those reps and all those opportunities because situations are so unique, because a quarterback begins to formulate his own philosophy, his own kind of how he feels it happening in the game. And it would be easy for me to say I think he’s pressing, that’s why he threw four interceptions, but I don’t. I think it’s such a fine line. I look and I say, that one I wish we didn’t throw. That one, I’m good with him throwing it. If they pick it off, let’s get him on the ground and go play defense, because if he doesn’t throw that one then you never get to see that one. And to me that’s a fine line you walk. The ones where you sit there and say, argghhh, those you don’t throw.”

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=8663:Schiano%20Says%20Freeman%20Isn%27t%20Pressing

Freeman has played in 56 games with 55 career starts.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #19 : January 04, 2013, 05:57:33 PM »

The Bucs’ 2012 quarterbacks coach, Ron Turner, has exited the New Schiano Order for Florida International University. But Turner was back talking Bucs this evening with Tom Krasniqi on WDAE-AM 620.

Turner was adamant that Josh Freeman has all the makings of a franchise quarterback, and Turner explained that a Freeman offseason of studying the Bucs offense, versus learning it, will make all the difference in his performance.

“A second year in the system will definitely help him as far as consistency goes,” Turner said.

Turner praised Freeman’s work ethic and said Freeman “wanted to be coached” and “wanted to learn.”

Interestingly, Turner said that Freeman game-film grades were better than many might think. And Turner specifically mentioned the Rams-Bucs game when Freeman had four interceptions, as an example.

In all Turner was very positive about all things Bucs and very matter of fact about Freeman’s struggles, saying all quarterbacks have rough stretches.http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=81428

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #20 : January 04, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »

Turner was obviously run out of town on a rail for the poor job he did with Freeman.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #21 : January 04, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »

Turner was obviously run out of town on a rail for the poor job he did with Freeman.

Or he's running from Freeman. You never know.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #22 : January 04, 2013, 06:25:59 PM »

More job security as HC w/ 5-yr contract, $500k/yr. Sweet deal compared to what a QB-coach gets.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #23 : January 04, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »

Roy Cummings ‏@RCummingsTBO

Outgoing Bucs QBs coach Ron Turner saysJosh Freeman is unquestionably a franchise QB. Interviewed by @TKras on 620 WDAE.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #24 : January 04, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »

good point - most busts actually were successful in college

We drafted him in R1 and we expect R1 results.

to me the problem is his completeion % which puts him in the same realm as Jake Locker and John Skelton right now. He's never been accurate but he's gotten a lot worse this year. His QBR puts him in the realm of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

A franchise QB is a guy that on 3rd and 7 you think, really know, can make the throw to move the chains consistently...does anyone feel that way about Josh right now?

I'll tell you this... I'd have more faith in Freeman making a 3rd and 15 than a 3rd and 7. 

+1

This is exactly Josh's biggest issue.  It's a lot easier to take that deep ball away than all the short stuff. 

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #25 : January 04, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »

How do you know if a QB is a bust?

When the Buccaneers draft him? With the crap Oline we have had for years, any QB coming here is a bust. It's once they leave here that the bust label goes away.

We don't ever draft Oline. We do have a great OG in Carl Nicks. But, if you look at it, we are throwing tons of money at the OG spot on veterans. Is this how you build a great franchise? By throwing tons of money at veteran OG's?

If only we would have drafted one Oline per year, we would have a better team, and be in much better shape salary cap wise.

As it is, we have a rag tag Oline despite spending huge money on the OG position.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

ufcguy32

Starter

« #26 : January 04, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »

davin joseph ...draft., jeremy zuttah, draft, donald penn draft from minn., we have basically one guy who we paid to come in here. what the hell are you talking about...we tried drafting joseph and trueblood...one worked out the other didnt. and zuttah is a good player. and the line wasnt even together this season. so what it is you expect?

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #27 : January 05, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »

any QB coming here is a bust. It's once they leave here that the bust label goes away.

By definition, not a bust.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #28 : January 05, 2013, 07:08:32 PM »

"Bustiness" is in the eye of the beholder. ;D ;D Sorry; couldn't resist...
   Seriously, expectations play a big part in it. I remember when UCLA coach Tommy Prothro cited Jim Plunkett, a Stanford U product, as the "best pro quarterback prospect I've ever seen". He was drafted #1 in 1971 by New England, lasted 5 years there, and was a disappointment. A couple years with the 49ers were no better. Next up in 1978 were the Raiders, where he mostly sat for the next 2 years. Then in 1980, Super Bowl MVP at age 33, and another Super Bowl win under his guidance in 1983...

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #29 : January 05, 2013, 07:11:30 PM »

Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell probably the two biggestQB busts of all time?
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When do you know if a QB is a bust? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools