Boards > The Red Board

Dexmonkey's Big 2013 Draft Thread

<< < (40/40)

spurzo:
RE Richardson: Nick Fairely came in sub-300lbs as a clear cut 3tech.  I'd say he's more like 315 now with a pro strength training program.  He outplayed Suh down the stretch last year and did his fair share of blowing up double teams.  I think the duo McCoy and Richardson would be awesome especially collapsing the pocket on third down, which was a big problem.  You want to improve our pass defence, have two DT's coming right up the middle in a qb's face.

Behind Enemy Lines:

--- Quote from: dexmonkey on January 18, 2013, 09:55:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: Detrimental on January 18, 2013, 09:52:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: dexmonkey on January 18, 2013, 09:39:20 PM ---like this guy if we decide to can quincy black.

--- End quote ---
Hodges is really good. He is a 4-3 fit all the way but I said that about Navarro Bowman a couple of years ago. He would be a great pick in the third round and we can take Foster out on 3rd downs.

Personally though, I rather draft a FS in the third and get a SLB in FA.

--- End quote ---

i agree and i doubt we take a linebacker but i was throwing him out there. seems like more of a Will backer than a SLB and weve already got David. personally i think we need to just try to restructure black's contract and then go after a backer next year. im holding out hope we can pick up a guy like kyle van noy or christian jones to play SAM. both are dynamic players than can cover, rush the passer, and hit playing the Sam spot

--- End quote ---

I would love this pick.  Black's career looks like it could be over and the Bucs are going to need a replacement.  I also wouldn't mind taking Michael Mauti with one of our later picks.  We could use some depth at the Linebacker position. 

spurzo:
He's listed at 239 and he can cover pretty well.  So he's already big enough to play SLB.  It'd be a nice pick, might be able to get him in the 4th but more likely goes in the 3rd.

Dolorous Jason:

--- Quote from: spurzo on February 10, 2013, 12:24:29 PM ---RE Richardson: Nick Fairely came in sub-300lbs as a clear cut 3tech.  I'd say he's more like 315 now with a pro strength training program.  He outplayed Suh down the stretch last year and did his fair share of blowing up double teams.  I think the duo McCoy and Richardson would be awesome especially collapsing the pocket on third down, which was a big problem.  You want to improve our pass defence, have two DT's coming right up the middle in a qb's face.

--- End quote ---

The Lions were also middle of the pack in all defensive categories and 16th against the rush. It's because tackles aren't really huge game changers unless they are freaks like Sapp.

We were 1st against the run. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you want to improve pass rush you need to do it from the edges.  Our lackluster end play is the issue . McCoy is inconsistent and still needs to improve his pass rush also. 3 tech gets a lot of one on one oppurtunities and he has to beat them more often.

I have no problem improving line depth and drafting another tackle in the middle rounds , but 13th overall on another nose guard would be a waste.

dexmonkey:
here is my latest mock draft. i am doing this based off of where we stand as of now. i will not be making any trades because its too hard to speculate where we trade or with who. there are too many other factors like teams making WTF picks and leaving unexpected players on the board. i am also assuming we make a few FA moves like resigning Bennet, signing a vetran CB like keenan lewis and resigning roy miller. after my video i will post my reasoning and rationale behind the pick.

Round 1
Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma

This is a BPA pick at 13. We need a future LT and hes on the board when we pick. Penn will start to decline soon and we can play Johnson at RT in the meantime. this is by no means a sexy pick but one that should benefit us in the long run.

Round 2
Xavier Rhodes CB FSU

If Rhodes is still on the board in the 2nd this is a no brainer. We need corners in the worst way and hes a great value here. His combination of size and coverage ability will be a welcome asset to match up on julio jones. contrary to some beliefs he is also a very willing tackler in run support. early on in this video you will see him level a 250lb fullback and then shed a blocking receiver and smash a runningback. His skills will benefit this team greatly.

Round 3
Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State

DISCLAIMER - watch this with the sound off. this is literally the worst song ive ever seen used in a highlight video. you have been warned.

Pretty obvious here. stocker has been a dissapointment and clark might not be resigned. escobar provides us with a good target over the middle to move the chains and in the redzone. he has good size to be an inline blocker and is quick enough to be a matchup issue for linebackers. he possesses good hands and the ability to make tough catches.

Round 4
DJ Swearinger S South Carolina

Ronde Barber isnt playing forever and we need someone to play free safety next to mark barron. swearinger fits the bill with his combo of coverage skills and willingness to knock someone's head off. hes not quite the ballhawk that phillip thomas is but he loves to hit people and has above average speed and coverage ability. will instantly upgrade our backfield.

Round 4
Robert Alford CB SE Louisiana

Another corner for us in the middle rounds. We really need DB help and Alford is a good value in the 4th. he really impressed me at the senior bowl. he has good coverage skills and looks like he can also return punts. we can use him in the nickel and as a rotational corner at the beginning of his career. we need depth as weve got a lot of less than impressive dbs on the roster currently.

Round 5
Conner Vernon WR Duke

Vernon is one of the most underrated and unheralded players in college football. playing for Duke is not glorious and he doesnt get the recognition he deserves. he owns a bunch of receiving records in the ACC and has roughly 3700 yards receiving and 20 TDs in his career. We need a slot receiver and he fits the bill perfectly. hes not a burner but hes extremely adept at getting open and possesses outstanding hands. Vernon is extremely intelligent and runs precise routes to get open. pair him with escobar on short to intermediate routes and williams and jackson can work the deep portion of the field and we have an extremely dangerous passing offense.

Round 6
Lonnie Pryor FB FSU

We need a second runningback to complement Martin and Pryor is our man. he played fullback at FSU but was a tailback in highschool. he was the engine that drove FSU's running game in his 4 years here and he is a devestating cut blocker. watch any big running play FSU and you will see pryor leading the way. he is great in blitz pickup and pass protection.  he is a very tough runner and has surprising speed. he possesses great hands and caught a bunch of passes out of the backfield. Pryor was a team leader and the ultimate team first guy. nobody works harder than he does and he will be a great change of pace for martin.

Round 7
Montori Hughes DT Tennessee-Martin

Hughes is an intriguing player and can provide some needed DL depth late in the draft. He flashes the ability to move the pocket and be a problem for interior linemen. he could be considered a developmental upgrade for roy miller.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version