Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bennett wants to stay with Giants, preferably with his brother there too. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : December 27, 2012, 12:16:11 AM »

Martellus Bennett wants to stay with Giants, preferably with his brother there too

Posted by Josh Alper on December 26, 2012, 5:31 PM EST
 ProFootballTalk

Getty Images

Earlier on Wednesday, we shared Broncos linebacker Von Miller’s hopes of playing on the same defense with Marcell Dareus and Aldon Smith in a group Miller compared to the Miami Heat’s trio of LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade.

Miller’s not the only player thinking about who he’d like to share a locker room with in the future. Giants tight end Martellus Bennett wants to play with his brother Michael, currently a defensive end for the Buccaneers. Both players are free agents this offseason and Martellus Bennett said Wednesday that he’d like to play on the same team with his brother, preferably with the Giants.

“So it’s just one of those things, you never know what is going to happen,” Bennett said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “I would love to stay here, maybe even get him to come out here. But if not, we’re both looking to play together, at least for a couple years in the NFL like we did in college. I’ll try to get him to come here first, or whatever happens with him.”

Bennett showed more ability (more opportunity without Jason Witten in front of him too) as a receiver this year than he showed with the Cowboys, which may be why he called the Giants “the best place for me” on Wednesday. He indicated he’d give a “hometown discount” to the Giants, although there haven’t been any contract talks between the two sides. And it’s safe to say that there haven’t been any talks with the younger Bennett either so we’re pretty far from printing the family reunion t-shirts.

Sim

Starter

« #1 : December 27, 2012, 12:26:13 AM »

We could definitely use a big-bodied TE like Martellus.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : December 27, 2012, 02:17:27 AM »

He has played well in New York, but wasn't all that in Dallas.  I would suspect the Giants system is the difference.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

DejaVu

User is banned from postingMuted
Starter

« #3 : December 27, 2012, 03:23:09 AM »

According to that article, it looks more like our Bennett going to the Giants than theGiants' Bennett coming to Tampa.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #4 : December 27, 2012, 07:34:26 AM »

I don't think Dom pays Bennett. he did well for us though.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

DejaVu

Starter

« #5 : December 27, 2012, 08:20:03 AM »

I hope Dom does pay Bennett.   In my mind, he is the best player on the Buccaneers defense along with David and McCoy.

Fran Tarkenton, Hall of Fame QB said. \\\"Ive watched Freeman a lot. He just plays God-awful. Thats who you are. Its just a player being able to play or not play. Josh Freeman has proven to me that he cant play.\\\"

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #6 : December 27, 2012, 08:29:39 AM »

Bennett is an oddity. I mean this a guy who could get double digit sacks but I don't seem to see him on the field. I'm sure someone has this pressure stats and maybe I've just overlooked his awesome. I also don't see him as a quick pressure guy even tough he plays vs the weak sister ROT's of the world. The mistake is to look at Bennet and pay him like he's a Freeny type disruptor when he's not that kind of guy. Sorta get a Ray Edwards feel off the dude who has more sacks in his contract year than in the rest of this career combined.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

meekerbeastman

Second String

« #7 : December 27, 2012, 08:45:02 AM »

i would take the Captain Crunch TE any day

"Ilove cptn crunch......its my favorite kind of lunch.......i love captn crunch......i could eat a whole bunch, CAPTN CRUNCH"

I can embed the video but if you want a great laugh check out Martellus rapping on youtube.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #8 : December 27, 2012, 09:11:01 AM »

Bennett is an oddity. I mean this a guy who could get double digit sacks but I don't seem to see him on the field. I'm sure someone has this pressure stats and maybe I've just overlooked his awesome. I also don't see him as a quick pressure guy even tough he plays vs the weak sister ROT's of the world. The mistake is to look at Bennet and pay him like he's a Freeny type disruptor when he's not that kind of guy. Sorta get a Ray Edwards feel off the dude who has more sacks in his contract year than in the rest of this career combined.

Here are the stats from PFF (rankings are against 4-3 DEs):
Pressures - 44 (tied for 5th)
Hits - 13 (5th)
Sacks - 9 (tied for 13th)
Total - 66 (6th)

A few other things their metrics show

he plays a lot more snaps than the other top DEs (not enough rotation, or we just spend a lot more time on defense)
he plays more snaps on the right side than other top LDEs (trying to make up for the loss of Clayborn)
he spends more time than other top DEs doing things other than rushing the passer on pass plays (we drop him into coverage too much)

They have a stat that shows productivity per snap, and it shows that he played almost as well last year, but he played much fewer snaps so his stat line didn't look as good

DejaVu

Starter

« #9 : December 27, 2012, 09:15:34 AM »

i would take the Captain Crunch TE any day

"Ilove cptn crunch......its my favorite kind of lunch.......i love captn crunch......i could eat a whole bunch, CAPTN CRUNCH"

I can embed the video but if you want a great laugh check out Martellus rapping on youtube.

Please embed the video.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #10 : December 27, 2012, 09:46:24 AM »

i hope to god we keep bennett. he has played much better in the last 2 years. plays the run well and is disruptive. throw in his lack of injuries and youve got a winner.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

« #11 : December 27, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »

According to that article, it looks more like our Bennett going to the Giants than theGiants' Bennett coming to Tampa.

Seemed that way to me too.  Bennett should have no problem putting up Osi type numbers with the Giants.

Turn the page.

Sim

Starter

« #12 : December 27, 2012, 10:13:02 AM »

Agreed...it would be nice to keep him but I don't think deserves top-tier DE money. I think it's a done deal that he goes to the Giants. He'll take a discount to play with his brother and will be a decent replacement for Osi in their DE rotation.

I'm still hoping there's a way we can lure Martellus to Tampa though...we really need a TE like him on this team.
« : December 27, 2012, 10:14:49 AM Sim »

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #13 : December 27, 2012, 10:13:47 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lP8fHN53t0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BucD

Hall of Famer

« #14 : December 27, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »

@RCummingsTBO:
Michael Bennett's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, is alraedy suggesting Mike and brother Martellus coudl reunite with NYG. Bucs will have say in that

I think there is a much bigger chance that Mike goes to the Giants rather than Martellus coming here...
« : December 27, 2012, 10:40:43 AM MJay9000 »
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bennett wants to stay with Giants, preferably with his brother there too. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools