Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs restructure Jackson, Nicks contracts « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 28, 2012, 12:34:37 PM

Tampa is going to make some CB paid this off-season. Or we might just sign 2 good CB's for 2 moderate to expensive contracts...... Either way good news is, we have money to go fix the RT, CB, and #3 WR issue.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 28, 2012, 12:34:57 PM

Interesting. Would love to see us be busy in FA again. If we could add a good CB and pass rusher through FA, I'd be very pleased.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 28, 2012, 12:37:53 PM

Josh Freeman's extension has something to do with this.

They better think long and hard on this matter.  I wouldn't extend him after this year, I could care less what the Freepologists say regarding his numbers.

I am just glad we have Williams, Jackson, Martin, Nicks.  Studs.  Time to complete the puzzle.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 28, 2012, 12:44:52 PM

looks like we are going shopping again + if we cut black and wright that frees up another 10 mil+
I'd rather restructure them both (if possible) than just cut them.
They may not be great starters but they could be quality depth if pushed down the depth chart.
We don't need to just improve the quality at the top end of the roster but all the way down.

agreed. the weakness of this team isnt the starters (besides the secondary) its the depth. there is a massive dropoff when one of our starters comes off to get a break. look at the 49ers defense. theyve got guys on 2nd and even 3rd string that would probably start for more that a few other teams. defensive depth, particularly DL, is key to playing good defense

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 28, 2012, 12:48:35 PM

looks like we are going shopping again + if we cut black and wright that frees up another 10 mil+
They may not be great starters but they could be quality depth if pushed down the depth chart.
We don't need to just improve the quality at the top end of the roster but all the way down.

restructuring means that they get a pay raise one way or another..

with Wright they can VOID the contract and not owe him anything

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 28, 2012, 12:49:50 PM

Good. Means they are serious about spending money again!!
Welcome back, Glaciers.
2 years of TRYING after sitting on your hands for 5 years (Manchester United)....

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#21 : December 28, 2012, 12:55:27 PM

They better think long and hard on this matter.  I wouldn't extend him after this year, I could care less what the Freepologists say regarding his numbers.

I am just glad we have Williams, Jackson, Martin, Nicks.  Studs.  Time to complete the puzzle.

Regardless of his age/upside, Freeman's play doesn't warrant any extension when you consider we quite possibly might lose 6 straight if you count ATL game. Really hope they use that money to add CB, Slot WR and re-signing Bennett.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#22 : December 28, 2012, 12:55:43 PM

I think Boid might be on to something. This could very well have to do with a Freeman extension moreso than any big FA signing

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 28, 2012, 12:56:46 PM

I don't want to resign him yet either. Build a solid team around Freeman this year and see what kind of QB he can be for us. Gotta see him through no matter how inconsistent he's been. It's so hard to find a QB in this league. Your more likely to be like the AZ cardinals, Cleveland, or dolphins looking for Qbs for years than you are to be a Indianapolis or Wash. I'm not saying dont try but you better be in position like those guys were or you trade everything to get one of those guys. Those guys were can't miss. Rare. Every other guy you really aren't sure if he's gonna be your guy or not. They won't move on from Freeman yet. They will see through the first round choice they gave up to get him. Rightfully so. You better be damn sure that he can't do it. Especially if he's a guy with the potential that Freeman has. I say put a solid team around him this offseason and let's see what the kid can do with one last shot.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#24 : December 28, 2012, 01:08:22 PM

restructuring means that they get a pay raise one way or another..

with Wright they can VOID the contract and not owe him anything
There is nothing saying they get a pay raise, neither has any guaranteed money left on their deals.
It could be a "restructure to a salary more in line with your ability or take a walk" type conversation.
At least we would have tried to improve the depth on the team before letting them go and try to find a large payday elsewhere.
The guaranteed moeny in Wrights contract has already voided, we don't have to avoid it.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 28, 2012, 01:13:19 PM

One thing is obvious, when the season is over at 12 AM, Dom will be working the phones. I think he knows who he wants, will get them signed quickly, get them in here for orientation aand then concentrate on the draft for 3 starters, plus more depth. When you think that we are approximately 15 starters strong (accounting for obvious weaknesses & necessary upgrades) plus maybe 5 to 8 players that provide quality depth, that is max 23 servicable players. Assuming that 11 to 15 go on the IR (check the annual number, it's sickening) plus 15 player get cut/traded, plus depth, plus a practice squad, that's something like 30/40 players needed for next year, over the courde of the year. Assuming 3 FA's, 3 starters from the draft, that's only 21 quality starters. If our stars (Nicks, Joseph, McCoy, Clayborn, Bowers as an example) go down, it is obvious that Dom & Schiano have a TON of work to do this offseason. I also expect at least 5 coaches to go, so when the final gun goes off for the Bucs in 2012, I expect some IMMEDIATE changes/action.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 28, 2012, 01:19:04 PM

Agree Rusty. We should see some changes quickly.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 28, 2012, 01:27:20 PM

Hoping that it means more additions.  Bringing in V-Jax and Nicks was a nice start.  Bringing in two major players on the other side of the ball, would put the team in great shape for the draft.

Turn the page.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 28, 2012, 01:30:36 PM

Mega Freeman deal coming. Insanity.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 28, 2012, 01:30:58 PM

hopefully the organization has realized that spedning money in FA can be rewarding. our FAs this year did an outstanding job and relaly helped the team progress. grab a few more vets to add to all the youth and we could see a major upswing in wins
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs restructure Jackson, Nicks contracts « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools