Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs restructure Jackson, Nicks contracts « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

baybuc35

Hall of Famer
« : December 28, 2012, 11:46:13 AM »

What could this mean?

Very quietly, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have started getting their salary-cap situation in order for 2013.

The team restructured the contracts of wide receiver Vincent Jackson and guard Carl Nicks recently to free up about $18 million in 2013 cap space.

To accomplish that, the Bucs had to absorb more of a cap hit for this year for Jackson and Nicks. In both cases, the team accelerated the process by giving roster bonuses for this year to replace guaranteed money for next year.

Jackson got a $12.16 million roster bonus to push his cap figure for this year to $15.43 million. But his new base salary for 2013 will be $840,000 and his cap figure will drop to $3.472 million. Jackson had been scheduled to count $13 million toward the 2013 cap. The roster bonus will be pro-rated over the remainder of Jackson’s contract.

The Bucs followed a similar path with Nicks, giving him an $11.785 million roster bonus now and pushing his cap figure to $15.436 million for this year. But Nicks’ base salary for 2013 had been scheduled for $12.5 million and it now drops to just $715,000. Nicks’ cap figure for 2013 had been scheduled for $12.5 million, but it now drops to $3.072 million.

That leaves the Bucs in good cap shape for next season. They now have $98 million committed toward a cap that’s expected to be slightly more than $120 million. But the Bucs can still increase their space. They can carry over remaining 2012 cap space to 2013. Even with the accelerations on Jackson and Nicks, the Bucs still are about $8.5 million under the 2012 cap.
Www.Espn.com

What could this mean?

baybuc35

Hall of Famer
« #1 : December 28, 2012, 11:49:07 AM »

The part I don't understand is if you can carry your money over from 2012 what did we accomplish .

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #2 : December 28, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »

It means some CB is gonna get PAID.

The restructure/release of Eric Wright could also free up more space.

baybuc35

Hall of Famer
« #3 : December 28, 2012, 11:51:27 AM »

but you can carry the money over from this season so what's the difference ? Also no barber no black and no trueblood frees up a lot of money also

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #4 : December 28, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »

The part I don't understand is if you can carry your money over from 2012 what did we accomplish .

We moved a bunch of money around, IMO, so we can be players in FA again. They didn't just dump it all on this year, the roster bonuses are pro-rated over the life of the contracts. Also, I may be wrong, but to roll over cap space don't you have to have some "unlikely to be earned" incentives that are not met? Like VJax blocking 17 kicks and Carl Nicks rushing for 13 TDs?  This allowed them to move money around, making space for next year, and reducing VJax and Nicks cap hits for at least next year and possibly years to come.

And none of that is fact as I'm not a cap guru, but that would be my take on it.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #5 : December 28, 2012, 11:55:13 AM »

That's crazy they did that. FA frenzy again.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #6 : December 28, 2012, 11:57:08 AM »

It means that $30/$40 million will be available for Cromarti & Asoymugha at a minimum. They could also be looking for an edge speed rusher.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
« #7 : December 28, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »

yup, they didn't restructure Wright. See ya!

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #8 : December 28, 2012, 11:59:17 AM »

It get's it out of the way now rather than being something else to get done when we can focused elsewhere, plus we don't have to remember to do it, I seem to remember a team forgetting to do it last offseason and losing a boat load of space (I could be wrong on that).
It might also have something to do with those rules in the new CBA where you have to spend a certain ammount of actual cash (as opposed to dead space from cutting people), although I'd have thought the cash we'd have paid Jax & Nicks would count towards that so who knows?

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
« #9 : December 28, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »

We'll need to at least sign one starting CB in free agency and get another starting CB in the draft. So this extra cap space certainly helps accomplish that goal.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #10 : December 28, 2012, 12:04:18 PM »

Right Rusty. It's more money to spread around as opposed to it already being spent on VJax and Nicks.

Previously:
VJax and Nicks were going to count for $25mil of 2013 cap.
Possible 2013 cap = $120mil
Hypothetical 12mil rollover = $132mil cap.
VJax and Nicks accounted for roughly 19% of that cap.

Now:
VJax and Nicks count $7mil against 2013.
Hypothetical 8mil rollover = $128mil cap
VJax and Nicks account for around 5% of the cap.

End result- we have less cap space, BUT the money we have isn't tied up in 2 players.

Hopefully I did that correctly.

Tampafan8251

Starter
« #11 : December 28, 2012, 12:20:23 PM »

According to multiple twitter accounts it says we saved 18 mill in space for this year and we have around 30 mill to spend

indiana76buc

Second String

« #12 : December 28, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »

looks like we are going shopping again + if we cut black and wright that frees up another 10 mil+

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #13 : December 28, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »

What could this mean?

Very quietly, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have started getting their salary-cap situation in order for 2013.

The team restructured the contracts of wide receiver Vincent Jackson and guard Carl Nicks recently to free up about $18 million in 2013 cap space.

To accomplish that, the Bucs had to absorb more of a cap hit for this year for Jackson and Nicks. In both cases, the team accelerated the process by giving roster bonuses for this year to replace guaranteed money for next year.

Jackson got a $12.16 million roster bonus to push his cap figure for this year to $15.43 million. But his new base salary for 2013 will be $840,000 and his cap figure will drop to $3.472 million. Jackson had been scheduled to count $13 million toward the 2013 cap. The roster bonus will be pro-rated over the remainder of Jackson’s contract.

The Bucs followed a similar path with Nicks, giving him an $11.785 million roster bonus now and pushing his cap figure to $15.436 million for this year. But Nicks’ base salary for 2013 had been scheduled for $12.5 million and it now drops to just $715,000. Nicks’ cap figure for 2013 had been scheduled for $12.5 million, but it now drops to $3.072 million.

That leaves the Bucs in good cap shape for next season. They now have $98 million committed toward a cap that’s expected to be slightly more than $120 million. But the Bucs can still increase their space. They can carry over remaining 2012 cap space to 2013. Even with the accelerations on Jackson and Nicks, the Bucs still are about $8.5 million under the 2012 cap.
Www.Espn.com

What could this mean?

to me it looks like we are gearing up to be active in FA again. im assuming it means we are going to pay Bennett and go after a top flight CB and possbly some DL or S. possibly an OL. the dolphins look like they might be releasing Jake Long this year. i know he wasnt that good this year and that he was injured but im hoping we take a look. the guy was a top 5 OT just a year or two ago and hes still young.

i hope im right and we make splashes like we did last year

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #14 : December 28, 2012, 12:34:05 PM »

looks like we are going shopping again + if we cut black and wright that frees up another 10 mil+
I'd rather restructure them both (if possible) than just cut them.
They may not be great starters but they could be quality depth if pushed down the depth chart.
We don't need to just improve the quality at the top end of the roster but all the way down.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs restructure Jackson, Nicks contracts « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools