Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Playing Wright Sunday could cost the Bucs 1.5 mil « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : December 29, 2012, 12:01:58 AM »

DECEMBER 28, 2012

Here's why the Bucs might opt not to play Eric Wright

Before we begin, here’s a disclaimer: This is only speculation. Reasonable speculation, that is.

We told you earlier today about coach Greg Schiano’s cryptic answers regarding cornerback Eric Wright and whether he’d play in Sunday’s season finale now that he’s served his four-game NFL suspension. All week long, Schiano has said he’d do whatever was best for the team, whatever that means.

Today, he remained noncommittal on whether Wright would play, although Wright has practiced all week and appears healthy.

Now, here’s something else to consider. You probably recall reading a few weeks ago that Wright’s suspension allows the Bucs to void the guarantees in his contract, namely the $7.75 million salary he is due to earn in 2013. That would allow the Bucs to release him after this season and owe him nothing.

If the Bucs are even remotely considering this, they’d be very wary of Wright sustaining an injury on Sunday.

Language in the 2011 collective bargaining agreement includes an enhanced injury-protection benefit that guarantees a player a maximum of $1.5 million in future earnings if a contract was in place at the time of the injury and that injury prevents him from playing at the start of the following season.

Under the old CBA, players could recoup only a maximum of $300,000 under this benefit. But now, players can recover up to $1 million for the season immediately following the injury and up to $500,000 for the second season following the injury, provided the player was under contract for those seasons at the time of his injury. Wright currently is signed through 2016.

Is any of this being discussed in the corner offices at One Buc Place? That’s hard to know. And it's not a slam dunk that the Bucs part ways with Wright because, well, they can barely round up enough cornerbacks to play as it is.

But don’t think for a second the Tampa Bay brass isn’t fully aware of this and considering all possibilities.

Posted by Stephen Holder at 7:27:17 pm on December 28, 2012

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

« #1 : December 29, 2012, 12:04:33 AM »

Ok. Bench his ass please...

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

« #2 : December 29, 2012, 12:16:54 AM »

Agreed. Really hope he doesnt play

Go Bucs

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #3 : December 29, 2012, 12:43:03 AM »

Wasn't the last time Schiano said " we'll do what's best for the team," right before Talib went to the Patriots?

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

« #4 : December 29, 2012, 12:49:01 AM »

So, if he DOESN'T play, it's a dead giveaway that he's a GONER, right?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5 : December 29, 2012, 12:53:17 AM »

Agree, or if they are thinking about a restructured contract in the offseason, no way they take a chance on him getting hurt Sunday.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

« #6 : December 29, 2012, 06:48:40 AM »

....or he's just "not in football shape"  ;)

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #7 : December 29, 2012, 08:11:13 AM »

Gawd, Dom better learn right now the folly of his ways.

He needs to TERMINATE Eazy E 's horrible contract, and let this real life clown who isn't even that good, to hit the market. Hopefully to a team the Bucs play.

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #8 : December 29, 2012, 08:14:23 AM »

Send Eazy E back to Compton

This guy...

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : December 29, 2012, 10:33:59 AM »

I will be shocked if he plays, too risky.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

bucs63

Starter

« #10 : December 29, 2012, 10:53:32 AM »

The guy has been so injury prone all along I wouldn't be surprised he sustains a mysterious whiplash type injury on his first play.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

« #11 : December 29, 2012, 11:05:58 AM »

The guy has been so injury prone all along I wouldn't be surprised he sustains a mysterious whiplash type injury on his first play.

Exactly. He'll pull his back, or his Achilles again and we'll be on the hook. Take a seat Eric, enjoy being inactive on game day and don't let the door hit ya. I was originally an advocate for restructuring Wright because the DBs are just so bad. But I guess I woke up on the correct side of the bed today and don't want him back for any reason.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

« #12 : December 29, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »

I say "SIT HIM" and try to restructure.

Pass Rush is our REAL PROBLEM on D. We've all seen it, right?
Other team's QB's have ALL DAY to throw the ball. Even when we blitz, we generally don't get to the QB...

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #13 : December 29, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »

Probably not even active for the game, and they will say he is not in game shape.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

« #14 : December 29, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »

Heads up- Roster moves on Saturday: Bucs activate CB Eric Wright from the reserve list and waive CB LeQuan Lewis.

From Bucs Facebook feed.

Why? Just....why?

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Playing Wright Sunday could cost the Bucs 1.5 mil « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools