Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Playing Wright Sunday could cost the Bucs 1.5 mil « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 29, 2012, 06:17:43 PM

Just to play devils advocate - what if....

The team doesn't restructure or cut wright? What if they believe the adderall suspension was due to a paperwork error? What if Eric Wright is our #2 CB next year at his scheduled salary?

HOOOOOOOO!!!!

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 29, 2012, 06:19:40 PM

The team doesn't restructure or cut wright? What if they believe the adderall suspension was due to a paperwork error? What if Eric Wright is our #2 CB next year at his scheduled salary?

No friggin' way!
He's gonna get trueblooded.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 29, 2012, 06:47:56 PM

Paperwork error? This is the NFL. Not some min wage job. These guys have a direct impact on the profit of the NFL and the owners if they don't play. Eric Wright is just a **CENSORED**ing idiot who got caught.

And surely I know Schiano didn't let Wright do this all by himself. He seriously looks like a moron to begin with.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#18 : December 29, 2012, 07:00:21 PM

There have been other cornerbacks who have been suspended for Adderall and to my knowledge no team has cut any of them.

Then there is the matter of Wright's contract which has a clause for "bad" behavior.

Seems to me if the Bucs play Wright, they loose their chance to get out of the contract for "bad" behavior.  It seems even to allow Wright to practice with the Bucs is to waive the behavior clause for this current infraction.  If there is an infraction of the clause, seems like the Bucs would have to act before Wright  is allowed back on the team. Otherwise it could be construed the Bucs have tacitly agreed to the behavior and the Adderall can't be used later on to void the contract..

If this is so, then the Bucs may have decided to keep Wright for next year, in which case they will probably draft a corner in the 1st round and perhaps a safety or an offensive tackle in the second round..

What do you think??

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 29, 2012, 07:02:49 PM

If that is the case Island then Mark Dominik needs to be fired. He can't go a single year without making a ridiculously stupid off-season acquisition and refuses to let go because of his massive ego.

So we may end up being stuck with Wright for another year despite his horrible pay and bloated salary.

Wright can either take a major paycut....or he can get the **CENSORED** outta town.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#20 : December 29, 2012, 07:14:04 PM

In the case of Talib:  though behavoir must have had some influence,  could it be that a lack of a contract for 2013 plus the increase of injuries that Talib was suffering were more of a factor. 

The 2 marks against Talib were he punched a cabbie and took Addeerall.  The gun issue was thrown out of court.  The only one who said he was shot at was a felon and his story just didn't seem believable.

I don't thinks the Bucs wanted to spend the money it would have taken to keep Talib in 2013, when balanced against the feelings so many fans have about him.

First game with NE, Talib gets injured  and I think he was out for the game, but returned in the next game.

My guess is Talib would have stayed if the Bucs had a contract with him for 2013.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#21 : December 29, 2012, 07:21:37 PM

Bucs:  I think Dominik and Schiano gave a lot of thought to Wright, and this is why we got non-committal answers earlier in the week regarding Wright.

In the end, the top brass must have decided that to have one new cornerback was enough.  To have two rookie cornerbacks and not have similar problems at cornerback in 2013 was just asking too much, and they finally swallowed the medicine and did. what in their opinion "was best for the team,." ie. they kept Wright
: December 29, 2012, 07:33:42 PM ISLAND BUCS

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 29, 2012, 08:13:13 PM

In the case of Talib:  though behavoir must have had some influence,  could it be that a lack of a contract for 2013 plus the increase of injuries that Talib was suffering were more of a factor. 

The 2 marks against Talib were he punched a cabbie and took Addeerall.  The gun issue was thrown out of court.  The only one who said he was shot at was a felon and his story just didn't seem believable.

I don't thinks the Bucs wanted to spend the money it would have taken to keep Talib in 2013, when balanced against the feelings so many fans have about him.

First game with NE, Talib gets injured  and I think he was out for the game, but returned in the next game.

My guess is Talib would have stayed if the Bucs had a contract with him for 2013.

I agree. The reason Talib was traded was the decision had been made not to bring him back and they could get a somewhat decent pick for him. Had he been under contract for 2013 I don't think he'd have been traded.

I think Wright will be back in a scenario in which either a high pick or another FA pickup is the other CB although whether they renegotiate his deal I have no idea and it's not something which needs to be of concern to the team at the moment. As to whether him playing affects the guarantee portion of his contract.....that doesn't make any sense to me. If a drug violation voids his guarantees then I don't see why playing him would reinstate the guarantee.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 29, 2012, 08:17:05 PM

Bucs:  I think Dominik and Schiano gave a lot of thought to Wright, and this is why we got non-committal answers earlier in the week regarding Wright.

In the end, the top brass must have decided that to have one new cornerback was enough.  To have two rookie cornerbacks and not have similar problems at cornerback in 2013 was just asking too much, and they finally swallowed the medicine and did. what in their opinion "was best for the team,." ie. they kept Wright

Keeping Wright or having 2 rookie CB's starting next season are not the only options.

They could sign a vet CB or even two, and let Wright go.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 29, 2012, 08:50:08 PM

Sends a bad message to fans and players, IMO.  We waive a guy, who's played his a$$ off, for very little $. to give Wright  a game after all his  BS.....just  dont smell good.  If there was ever a time to send a message..now is that time!

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 29, 2012, 09:03:33 PM

So does giving Michael Clayton a 25 million dollar contract.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#26 : December 29, 2012, 09:37:15 PM

Yes you are right, the Bucs could always sign 2 free agent cornerbacks, rather than rely solely on the draft..

Ryan;  Behavior clauses are usually written in broad terms so that a great many issues are covered. So the Team decides that a certain issue has gone too far and then attempts to  void the contract.  Of course the player will have a lawyer who may say this particular issue is not included.

Certainly you could understand that the Bucs could not wait a year and then say we void the remainder of the contract for something you did last year. 

So most courts would say, if the player did something bad enough to void the contract, then the relationship should be broken off soon after the infraction comes to light.. To play the player or even to use him at practice is sort of like having your cake and eating it also.  If you use him for a game or for practice, then the courts conclude that his infraction couldn't be that bad.  By using the player, I would think most courts would rule that the club doesn't consider the infraction bad eought to void the contract. Even if the infraction clearly comes within the behavior clause, the club can still decide to not enforce the clause.  This is what the courts probably would conclude if the player was used in practice or a game----the club decided not to enforce the clause. 

However if there is a second infraction for the same matter or a different matter, then at that time the club could cancel the contract.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#27 : December 29, 2012, 10:07:31 PM

The contract is not being voided. The guarantee portion of the contract is what is in question.....at least that's what we've been told. The fact that the inside info was worded as such would leave me to believe that the contract simply reverts to a year to year deal with no guaranteed money beyond the rules surrounding yearly salary. Of course there could be information we're not privy to but based on what we've heard, his playing or simply being active tomorrow should not affect anything in regards to his guarantee.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 29, 2012, 10:34:00 PM

Wright has a negative history, and based on that and his very recent suspension as a result of more pills, and Talib gets caught with it...seems to me Wright may have given Talib that med. wright needs to be excused from the team.

He sounds like a jack azz, he tweets some really jackazz stuff, he gets suspended for drug use...he isn't that good anyway, and he is not even close to fair market value so that money is being wasted on that guy?  For real?

Gimme a break. This is a no brainer. Cut this idiot, if not for anything other than he is not worth that contract and they have an out.  Take it Dom !!

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 29, 2012, 10:47:30 PM

I was hoping they didn't play him on Sunday, but they activated him, so maybe they will.  I guess they still could name him one of the inactives before the game.  We shall see.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Playing Wright Sunday could cost the Bucs 1.5 mil « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools