Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doug Martin: 1454 yards, 11 TDs. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#15 : December 30, 2012, 06:18:57 PM

Yeah.....I don't think anyone is rooting for Martin to have a Ricky Williams career. 

And let's face it, if Doug Martin is still productive in 6 years, everyone should be celebrating.  Even thinking about 10 is such a stretch.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 30, 2012, 06:20:35 PM

Glad he is a Buc. Just a nice running back. No complaints. Loved the pick, love it more today.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#17 : December 30, 2012, 06:22:58 PM

just true - was he the 31st or 32nd pick?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 30, 2012, 06:23:15 PM

Solid, solid player. Next year they get a complimentary RB to take a few carries off his back and he should have a long career. Michael Smith's red shirt year still puzzles me.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Bucfest

Rookie

#19 : December 30, 2012, 06:26:50 PM

He had an outstanding season and I'm real happy he's a Buc, but you're kidding yourself if you think he lasts 10+ seasons in the NFL. Especially if the Bucs don't start sharing the load. I'll be ecstatic to get 5 good years out of him.
Sorry, I forgot we were supposed to be cheering for our players to be out of the league in 3 years.

And I guess I forgot we want all of our players in wheelchairs by 35.

Feel free to live in your fantasy land where these players don't have to worry about a life after the game.
What are you talking about? C'mon man lay off the sauce.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 30, 2012, 06:35:32 PM

31. Giants picked 32 and wanted him. Imagine how good the Giants would be with Dougie this year?

NovaBuc

Starter

#21 : December 30, 2012, 07:01:38 PM

If the o-line can be healthy the next couple of years and our passing game can be more like it was in the winning stretch, I think Martin holds up and can be productive for a good 7-10 years. He's never been injury prone - I don't think he was even listed as probable ever this year. Contrast that to Caddy's first season where he seemed to be constantly on the injury report after his first three games. And as much as it seemed like he carried the ball this year, he only had three games with over 25 carries and only 8 with 20 or more carries. If we can pick up a decent RB to spell Martin for a series or two during games, I would think that barring catastrophic injury Martin should own every Buc rushing record by the time he's done.

UMiamiBucFan

Starter

#22 : December 30, 2012, 10:38:02 PM

He had an outstanding season and I'm real happy he's a Buc, but you're kidding yourself if you think he lasts 10+ seasons in the NFL. Especially if the Bucs don't start sharing the load. I'll be ecstatic to get 5 good years out of him.
Sorry, I forgot we were supposed to be cheering for our players to be out of the league in 3 years.

And I guess I forgot we want all of our players in wheelchairs by 35.

Feel free to live in your fantasy land where these players don't have to worry about a life after the game.
Umm...Warrick Dunn, Ricky Williams, Deuce McAllister and LT on line one.

Warrick Dunn never had more than 300 carries in a season and always shared carries. Martin just had 319 carries and that is more likely to go up than down.

Ricky Williams only topped 300 carries 3 times in his career, 1000 yards 5 times, took a 2 year break from football, and shared carries during his comeback. So about 5 good years.

I'm not real sure why you even put Deuce McAllister on this list. He only had about 4 good seasons and really started dropping off after back to back 300 carry seasons in year 2 and 3 of his career. He's the poster boy for how quickly NFL RBs deteriorate. After he turned 26, he only topped 4 ypc once more in the rest of his career.

Tomlinson is the only one on your list that can help make your point. And he's more the exception than the rule. He was an absolute freak that strung together 8 consecutive 1000 yard seasons. But even then, that was still shy of 10+ seasons.

I wish for all the success in the world for Doug Martin. However, I don't expect (nor want him) to be able to sustain that amount of carries for 10 years. That's not me cheering for him to flame out quick, that's just being realistic about the modern NFL. The defenders are too big, too strong and the hits are too violent to be able to sustain this level for a long time. I hope the Bucs find someone to share the load with him and prolong his career and health. I look forward to watching him run for as long as I get to.

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 30, 2012, 10:56:57 PM

This team has a great foundation for the future. A great RB, pretty darn good O-line, a franchise WR and a very good #2. On offense we just need a young stud TE. I think Josh is still a big question mark as to if he can develop into a very good QB. Worst case I think he can at least be average and that's better than what we have had for a long time. I hope for the prior but I am definitely not ready to get rid of him yet. I think we will have a better idea of Josh's future with one more season in this offense.

"At least average" won't win a SB.

This team has some very good young players, but as I said at the end of last season, until/unless this team gets a legit QB, the rest is irrelevant.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#24 : December 30, 2012, 10:59:02 PM

31. Giants picked 32 and wanted him. Imagine how good the Giants would be with Dougie this year?

The guy the Giants picked has been lighting it up lately.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 30, 2012, 11:09:16 PM

Not much else to say, I can't wait to see what this guy will do for the next 10+ years.

I'm just curoius what he does until the end of his contract, thinking about 10+ years feels like a stretch for a NFL RB. Lets hope he has a good 2013 season.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 30, 2012, 11:11:17 PM

With Martin, Giants might have made playoffs.

In Verner We Trust

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#27 : December 30, 2012, 11:38:05 PM

Martin is one of the few consistent positives for this season.  I'm glad he is a Buc.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#28 : December 30, 2012, 11:45:38 PM

1454 yards and 11 TDs is very impressive, but lets not forget he also had 49 receptions for 472 yards and another TD. He had that record of the most yards by a rookie in a three game span, and he is 3rd in the history of the NFL in over all yards by a rookie. He's also 3rd in the league this year in total yards behind only Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson. Plus he is very solid in pass protection as a rookie. He stayed healthy for all 16 games, and his only fumble was actually a TD that was incorrectly ruled a fumble. On top of all that he is a great person off the field.

Anyone who has anything negative to say about Doug is just an agenda driven moron. This kid is the real deal....and Lavonte David is right behind him.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#29 : December 30, 2012, 11:56:24 PM

Martin put together a nice season behind  a make sift offensive line and a quarterback that  slumped down the stretch. One wonders what he could have done a whole season behind Nicks and Joseph and a quarterback who consistently played above average.

The good news is that Martin was just as advertised.

He managed to gain a total of 1,926 yards and 12 touchdowns. He fell 74 yards short of 2,000 yards from scrimmage a feat accomplished by only two rookie running backs,  in the history of the NFL (Eric **CENSORED**erson & Edgerrin James). Martin's feat ranks him 3rd among all running backs from 1920 to present with 1,926 yards from scrimmage in a running backs rookie season. He averaged 5.23 yards per touch and only managed to have one fumble on 368 touches, and even the one fumble was controversial.   

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doug Martin: 1454 yards, 11 TDs. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools