Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Official 2013 Off-Season Head Coach Hiring Thread......... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18

watson

Hall of Famer
« #165 : January 04, 2013, 12:32:20 AM »

Not a fan of Chip, but if they can get him a decent QB.....the have the perfect offensive weapons in Philly to run his offense.

I agree that's the best fit, but I don't think he's running "his offense" in the NFL. I think you hire him because he's a good coach, not because you like his scheme.

As Charles Davis said - and he thinks he'd be a very good NFL coach - you can't run his scheme in the pros in part because you can't practice it during an NFL season - rosters are too small, league is too physical (too many players on bikes).
I agree with Davis.....just don't have the 100 plus players like  he does at Oregon.  His best bet would be to stay at Oregon.  He has a very good contract with excellent backing by a BIG time alum.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #166 : January 04, 2013, 05:33:11 AM »

Former Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith also targeted the Cardinals.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120834/article/nfl-headcoaching-search-tracker

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #167 : January 04, 2013, 05:35:41 AM »

Penn State coach Bill O'Brien confirmed Thursday night that he will remain at the school after interviewing for the Browns' head-coaching job earlier in the day. "I'm not a one-and-done guy," O'Brien told Pennlive.com. "I made a commitment to these players at Penn State, and that's what I am going to do. I'm not gonna cut and run after one year, that's for sure." Pennlive.com reported O'Brien received a $1.3 million gift from a prominent donor to bring his total compensation to $3.6 million, according to high-level Penn State sources.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120834/article/nfl-headcoaching-search-tracker

MarineBuc

Starter

« #168 : January 04, 2013, 06:38:07 AM »

Really? What has Reid ever won?

7 Division Championships, one conference.

11 winning seasons (.580 winning pct).

Probably knows a little about running a football team.

Yup...and ZERO Super Bowl wins...that's what being a HC in the NFL is all about...right?

When he gets a ring...then I will sing his praises

so in your mind, the following head coaches aren't worthy of your praise: Bud Grant, Marv Levy, Chuck Knox,  Don Coryell,  George Allen,  Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer.  None have won a SB.

While they are worthy of praise for certain aspects of their careers...but, as a group they are unspectacular and really aren't all that special.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #169 : January 04, 2013, 06:42:47 AM »

that's laughable - so in your opinion, George Seifert, a Super Bowl coach is better than Bud Grant, Marv Levy, Chuck Knox,  Don Coryell,  George Allen,  Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer who didn't win championships?

MarineBuc

Starter

« #170 : January 04, 2013, 09:27:30 AM »

that's laughable - so in your opinion, George Seifert, a Super Bowl coach is better than Bud Grant, Marv Levy, Chuck Knox,  Don Coryell,  George Allen,  Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer who didn't win championships?

Morgan...I didn't say they weren't good coaches. What I said is "they are unremarkable"  and upon further review that may have been a slight to some of these coaches.

We can extoll the virtues of each of these coaches, but the bottom line is that they did not win a championship. Each of these coaches had flaws...Bud Grant and Marv Levy, and Reeves all lost 4 Super Bowls, so they are really in a category all their own and the cream of the crop that you listed. Levy especially, to take a team to 4 consecutive Super Bowls is certainly unprecedented and deserves MUCH respect.

Knox was 186-147 in his career...very nice and respectable, nothing more.
Coryell revolutionized the passing game with Dan Fouts...but his 3-6 playoff records is not good.
Allen's winning pct is quite impressive (.681) Allen had a phenomenal amount of talent when he coach...but yet not trophy
Marty has a GREAT winning record in the regular season (200-126-1) but the playoffs were his demise (5-13) Marty also had a TON of talent with the Chargers and it's pretty telling that they never won a trophy with that team

A Super Bowl also doesn't automatically qualify a coach in the NFL as great...just ask Barry Switzer

Obviously you can be a great coach and not get a Lombardi Trophy...my point that started this whole discussion is I am not impressed with Andy Reid.
Reid is 130-93-1 in the regular season and 10-9 in the playoffs...nothing to be "selling the farm" about to bring in as your next head coach

“If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent’s team would win if it came down to coaching,” Trotter said on 97.5 The Fanatic, via Philly.com. “Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games,” Trotter continued. “Time outs, running the football, you know.”

Trotter said Reid’s offensive style made things different for the defense and the late defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, who ran the defense in Philadelphia until his death in 2008.

“As a defense, we understood we passed the ball too much. You know, there’s times we’re sitting over there like, ‘Man, listen. Just get us a couple of first downs so we can get a break.’ And I’m sure it frustrated Jim Johnson also,” Trotter said

Still, Trotter acknowledges that he won a lot of games during his time with Reid, and he says he would have given Reid a 7.5 or 8 on a scale of 1-10. I shudder to think what he’d say about a coach who was a 1.

« : January 04, 2013, 09:39:08 AM MarineBuc »

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #171 : January 04, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »

Coaching Rumor Roundup.......

Colts GM Ryan Grigson told NFL Network that the team will do "whatever we could" to keep offensive coordinator Bruce Arians (Bears are interested)

Despite the Steelers giving the Cardinals permission to interview offensive coordinator Todd Haley, ESPN reports that Haley has yet to agree to said interview because "he loves working for" the Steelers organization.

According to ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini, Jets GM candidates have been told they have to keep Rex Ryan as head coach.

TheSidelineView.com's Adam Caplan reports that Oregon coach Chip Kelly may not be at the top of the Eagles' wish list. The organization has "a lengthy list of candidates to interview," and a high-ranking NFL official tells Caplan that the Browns' interest in Kelly is "more than an infatuation" and hasn't "waned."

The Jaguars want to talk to Giants director of scouting Marc Ross for their general manager position, reports the Florida Times-Union's Ryan O'Halloran.

The Charlotte Observer reports that the Panthers are interested in the Titans' VP of player personnel, Lake Dawson, as a candidate for their general manager position.

ESPNCleveland.com's Tony Grossi still expects new Browns owner Jimmy Haslam to sit down with Alabama coach Nick Saban "for a business meeting" after interviewing Oregon's Chip Kelly this weekend.

According to CSN Philly, former Eagles coach Andy Reid and the Chiefs met past midnight Thursday but have yet to reach an agreement.

Oregon's Chip Kelly confirmed in his post-game press conference Thursday night that he's open to leaving college for the NFL.

---------
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21494339/nfl-coaching-rumor-roundup-friday-jan-4

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #172 : January 04, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »

Report: Andy Reid named Chiefs head coach

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2013/01/04/andy-reid-hired-as-head-coach-by-kansas-city-chiefs/1809131/

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #173 : January 04, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »

Why would anyone give up a great college coaching gig to coach the Browns?

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #174 : January 04, 2013, 12:28:29 PM »

Why would anyone give up a great college coaching gig to coach the Browns?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #175 : January 04, 2013, 12:40:19 PM »

I have a feeling Chip goes to the eagles.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #176 : January 04, 2013, 12:42:43 PM »

I have a feeling Chip goes to the eagles.

I think Eagles or stay put.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #177 : January 04, 2013, 12:54:53 PM »

Staying put would be smart for him. Hes in a great situation there.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #178 : January 04, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »

Morgan...I didn't say they weren't good coaches. What I said is "they are unremarkable"  and upon further review that may have been a slight to some of these coaches.

Just think - had the Patriots used your hiring preference to disregard coaches that haven't won Super Bowls, they'd never had hired Belicheck and who knows if they'd have ever won those three Super Bowls.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #179 : January 04, 2013, 06:53:02 PM »

Marty Schottenheimer thinks his former team has hit a home run in landing Andy Reid to take over the Kansas City Chiefs.

"I think it's a spectacular choice," Schottenheimer told USA TODAY Sports on Friday, with the Chiefs on the verge of signing Reid — dumped Monday by the Philadelphia Eagles — as their new coach. "I honestly think it's important to get a guy who's done it, who's been there. He's got the DNA for putting together successful teams, and he was able to sustain success over a long period of time."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2013/01/04/former-chiefs-coach-marty-schottenheimer-calls-andy-reid-hiring-spectacular/1810107/
  Page: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Official 2013 Off-Season Head Coach Hiring Thread......... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools