Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Any chance we could get Lovie Smith back to be or DC? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
: December 31, 2012, 12:25:57 PM

Just saw that the Bears canned Lovie after missing the Playoffs again. A bit of a shocker. Do the Bucs give Sheriden a chance to develop a defense or do the Bucs go in a different direction? The Bucs run defense was spectacular but he pass defense was horrid. Was that because of scheme or personel?

I'm all for bringing Lovie in as DC.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 31, 2012, 12:45:53 PM

Scheme. They had CBS and safties bitzing every down, staying really, really close to the line, or waaaaaay,way back 20+ yards out from LOS. That system really isn't going to work unless one or two corners can match up man to man on an island with anyone.

Lovie would be good for this defense because the man plays a version of the t2, which i personally believe would be a better fit for this team(with DB upgrades). For some reason, the current staff thinks stopping the run when we're two scores up is somehow important. Lovie, although I don't really like his tude, would be able to fix this DB core, and he certainly would be more fixated on the third down conversions.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but he's better than the guy we have currently. Not to mention, with an explosive offense, we NEED to have a good pass defense.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 31, 2012, 01:08:24 PM

Would rather get Rod Marinelli as a D-Line coach again, but I'd take Lovie too.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#3 : December 31, 2012, 01:23:31 PM

I'm a big Lovie fan.   The Bucs should dump Schiano and hire Lovie.

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 31, 2012, 01:24:52 PM

Unless Sheridan is fired, we won't be bringing anyone in as a new DC.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 31, 2012, 01:27:54 PM

Is Sheridan the problem? We all heard this was Schianos scheme coming in and the scheme, to be blunt, sucks. We can't pressure the QB and the can't play the pass. I know that Rutgers' holy grail is stopping the run but we need to re-evaluate our priorities and maybe risk being the #10 rush defense so we can at least get in the teens in pass defense.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 31, 2012, 01:30:31 PM

I think hiring him as DC would be a smart move. Get it done.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

#7 : December 31, 2012, 01:32:09 PM

Bringing Lovie as DC? HECK YEA

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 31, 2012, 01:32:24 PM

That would be like two women in the kitchen. Not sure it would work.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 31, 2012, 01:34:11 PM

agree - sometimes you have to wonder about our fans who throw these kinds of ideas out and their full understanding about our franchise

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 31, 2012, 01:37:38 PM

Seriously.   Why keep Schiano as HC when a quality guy like Lovie is available?

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 31, 2012, 01:41:25 PM

Is Sheridan the problem? We all heard this was Schianos scheme coming in and the scheme, to be blunt, sucks. We can't pressure the QB and the can't play the pass. I know that Rutgers' holy grail is stopping the run but we need to re-evaluate our priorities and maybe risk being the #10 rush defense so we can at least get in the teens in pass defense.
Part of the reason we can't play the pass is because we have UDFA and 7th round picks covering some of the best WR's in the game. Guys are getting open in less than 4 seconds. A line with Sapp, Rice, McFarland, and Spires can't even help a secondary like that.

Its the same scheme we saw yesterday ran by Jim Haslett. Blitz, blitz, and play a lot of man coverage. The difference is, the Redskins have better coverage corners and better blitz packages b/c they actually disguise them well.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 31, 2012, 01:41:54 PM

Java, Lovie is Tony Dungy all over again. Lovie's career mirrored Dungy's in Tampa almost exactly. Don't want that same old song playing in Tampa. As a DC, possibly, but would Lovie be willing to stand in the shadows for awhile. Just don't see those personalities meshing well.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 31, 2012, 01:43:16 PM

Seriously.   Why keep Schiano as HC when a quality guy like Lovie is available?
Because I actually enjoyed watching a fun offense. Tampa had a legit top 10 scoring offense and if Lovie comes in, we have to re-assemble the coaching staff all over again. And we all know Lovie Smith coaches up mediocre scoring offenses.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#14 : December 31, 2012, 01:44:25 PM

Must confess the hire Lovie thought occurred to me as well, but a 9 year vet HC with a trip to the Superbowl and and 2nd year HC from College? Could cause a few problems that!
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Any chance we could get Lovie Smith back to be or DC? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools