Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sullivan To Interview For Bears Job « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#30 : January 01, 2013, 01:03:11 PM

I like Sully, but he's a WR/QB coach that has one year OC experience. I think any team that makes him a HC is stupid.
But we signed a DB coach with 1 years DC experience (College) to be our head coach.
Oh wait, as you were.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 01, 2013, 01:10:18 PM

And it was a dumb idea. They took the chance but it didn't work out like they thought it could. It did for a little bit but they didn't so anything worthy to keep him around and he also pretty much got himself fired with the 10 game losing streak. That will do it. I don't think Sully will end up with the job in Chicago but this could be things to come if the offense can play to its potential. Sully will likely get a shot at HC job if that happens.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#32 : January 01, 2013, 01:37:27 PM

I like Sully, but he's a WR/QB coach that has one year OC experience. I think any team that makes him a HC is stupid.
But we signed a DB coach with 1 years DC experience (College) to be our head coach.
Oh wait, as you were.

And it worked out great? Just further proof of why you don't do that.

Great coordinator rarely equals great head coach, so it's hard enough. When you reach for guys that have little to no coordinator experience, you just lower your chances of success further.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 01, 2013, 01:42:47 PM

Sully's just priming for another year or two when it'll be for real - right now being interviewed is just part of the dues that up-and-comers pay.

Exhibit 'A':

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer
Bears requested permission to interview Cowboys special teams coach Joe DeCamillis for their head coaching vacancy. Very respected coach.

I'd be surprised if the job is given to someone without previous HC experience (especially in Chicago).
: January 01, 2013, 03:07:14 PM BucDaFackUp

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#34 : January 01, 2013, 03:28:38 PM

who knows, these teams may be looking for new assistant head coaches (promotion for Sully) as well - these teams aren't just looking for new HCs, they're looking for new coaches and coordinators as well.......doubt if they're serious about Sullivan as a HC at this point in his career.  When they hire their HC, they'll have insight on who's out there for assistants.

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 01, 2013, 03:35:43 PM

Not that this would happen, but if you were offered the chance for Lovie to be the DC here for losing Sullivan to Chicago, would you take it?

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#36 : January 01, 2013, 04:08:04 PM

Oh wait, as you were.

And it worked out great? Just further proof of why you don't do that.

Great coordinator rarely equals great head coach, so it's hard enough. When you reach for guys that have little to no coordinator experience, you just lower your chances of success further.
Is the 2nd line of my original post invisible?
I can't see why 2 people would respond like I thought it was a good idea if they can see it.

Now if I were to defend the whole no/little coordinator experience thing I'd start with...
Mike Tomlin - 1 year as DC
John Harbaugh - come on ST coordinator doesn't count.
Andy Reid was never a coordinator
Jim Harbaugh and Tom Coughlin were never coordinators and although they were college head coaches they didn't hold those top level jobs for long.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sullivan To Interview For Bears Job « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools