Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks or Dion Jordan at #13 ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 01, 2013, 12:31:45 AM »

2013 NFL Mock Draft: Bucs pick Johnthan Banks

By Sander Philipse on Dec 31, 9:51

Spruce Derden-US PRESSWIRE

The season is over, time for draft season to begin. The guys over at Mocking the Draft have their first mock draft of the season up, and they think the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will select cornerback Johnthan Banks. This makes perfect sense: the Bucs have massive holes in the secondary, and getting a cornerback would go a long way toward fixing those problems. Here's what Dan Kadar had to say about this pick:

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State There were times this year when Banks got burned (namely against Alabama), but he has very good ball skills and size. The Buccaneers need talent at cornerback and Banks has it. They could also go after a pass rusher like Dion Jordan in this spot.

Selecting another pass rusher may make some sense, but the team has reliably pressured opposing quarterbacks. Massive blitzes have exposed a weak secondary, though, allowing quarterbacks to quickly get rid of the ball. With Da'Quan Bowers returning to full health and Adrian Clayborn coming back from injury, the Bucs should be fine in that respect - provided they re-sign Michael Bennett.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2012/12/31/3821184/2013-nfl-mock-draft-bucs-pick-johnthan-banks
« : January 01, 2013, 01:41:53 AM michael89156 »

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 01, 2013, 12:39:36 AM »

Another desperation reach for a DB.

No thanks.

Dion Jordan.

The difference between Milliner/Banks and the 2nd round CBs, is next to nothing.
« : January 01, 2013, 12:41:14 AM chace1986 »

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 01, 2013, 12:44:03 AM »

I know sometimes players without a lot of college sacks have become great NFL pass rushers like Jason Pierre-Paul and JJ Watt, but I really need someone to explain to me how a player with a very funky body type who only had 5 sacks as a senior is supposed to be a 1st round pick.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 01, 2013, 01:27:28 AM »

They could probably trade back a bit for either one of those guys.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 01, 2013, 01:33:05 AM »

I know sometimes players without a lot of college sacks have become great NFL pass rushers like Jason Pierre-Paul and JJ Watt, but I really need someone to explain to me how a player with a very funky body type who only had 5 sacks as a senior is supposed to be a 1st round pick.

It seems like most of the DEs in this draft projected to go high have the same problem.  No production.  Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, and Sam Montgomery all scare the hell out of me.  I wouldn't mind getting ahold of Bjorn Werner or Damontre Moore but I don't think they'll be around. 

On another note, calm down with all of the "reach" for DB talk.  Every year the draft boards shuffle drastically.  After scouts have more time to study film and guys run at the Combine everything will look different.  Maybe Milliner will be a reach at 13 or maybe he and Banks will be long gone by then.  Xavier Rhodes could even sneak into the discussion with a strong combine.

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
« #5 : January 01, 2013, 01:37:12 AM »

I haven't seen a lot of Banks, but I do think a long corner is exactly what we will need in our division. And if hes as physical in the run game as the scout sites say you know this staff will love him for it.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 01, 2013, 01:47:13 AM »

Maybe a couple of reasons.

Possibly the "hurry" rate that we hear a lot about here in Tampa (you know, the guys who don't get sacks, but disrupt constantly. Watt certainly did that in college)?

Could be they're simply looking at strength of individual opponents? Facing OL's from major universities is a lot different from "tackling" OL's from say, FIU.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

McCoy93

Starter

« #7 : January 01, 2013, 02:38:17 AM »

Didn't Aldon smith have 5 or 6 sacks his final year at missouri? that was one of the reason why i was scared of Aldon smith

bucsquad

Pro Bowler

« #8 : January 01, 2013, 02:49:37 AM »

Well Jordan is very interesting for a few reasons. He may be a senior but he started out on on offense. The production is worrisome but like you said guys like JPP and Smith have flourished without the great production. Some more things on his production is that he's asked more to do than just rush the passer, I mean he's jamming slot receivers! That's not to say he doesn't need to work on a bunch of technique as a pass rusher. He's also a good run defender and had some nagging injuries. The biggest thing is the athleticism factor why he'll go high.

For the bucs to draft him I would like to see him add to his frame.

El Diablo

Starter

« #9 : January 01, 2013, 07:14:34 AM »

I think these are thee guys whoever is there.. just posted about this on another thread and and didn't see this.. Jordan maybe has more upside than any player being drafted. He is uber athletic and runs in the 4.6 range at 250lb.. Stud athlete!

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 01, 2013, 10:13:22 AM »

johnathan banks. not even close

I don't understand the allure of dion Jordan. just because he has potential doesn't mean hes a fit for this team. unless he can play corner I don't want him on this team

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #11 : January 01, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »

With every mock and their mother predicting the Bucs to take CB Jonathan Banks in the first round I doubt it happens. Last year, it was Morris Claiborne as a dead lock to the Bucs at five if Trent Richardson was gone. Now its Banks. I would not be in the least bit surprised to see another player taken that no one expects.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 01, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »

6'7" 243 to do what? The kid is super tall and lanky. If we had a 34 you might look at him but in a 43 where does he fit?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

muvlodge

Pro Bowler
« #13 : January 01, 2013, 12:11:11 PM »

Our 1st RD & 2nd RD picks gotta be locks not guys we have to groom into what we want.  As far as CB goes we need shut down CBs not good run stuffers.  The NFC South has some of the best QBs the last 10 years.  We need studs at CB & DL not question marks.

Neubi

Second String

« #14 : January 01, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »

If we can get Björn Werner...GET HIM (since Bucs TV coverage in Germany would increase). Otherwise: get any DB-help possible!

Fine, I'll go build my own Bulletin Board! With blackjack and hookers!
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Johnthan Banks or Dion Jordan at #13 ? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools