Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When to make defensive adjustments? « previous next »
Page: 1

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

: January 01, 2013, 06:37:32 PM

Some coaches make adjustments on the fly. Some prefer to make adjustments at halftime. Our coach decided to wait until the very last game of the year to make an adjustment and go to a predominant Cover Two defense for the majority of the game versus Atlanta. I have to give him credit for changing it up, and allowing the players to be in positions to make plays. But at the same time, with the success we had versus one of the very best teams in the entire NFl...........WTF took so long?

Wasn't it obvious after the Giants game, when your top CB's were Talib and Wright, that there was a problem with this defense? Your top two "shutdown" corners got fried by Manning and Co. So what was the answer? To put a bunch of unproven guys back there and continue with the exact same system? Sometimes, just a little bit of common sense is much more powerful than a whole lot of ego.

The big issue going forward for this team is whether or not this coach is going to be able to make adjustments. Obviously, his Rutgers defense is going to be scrapped after this season. But, you have to wonder why it took until the last game....why did it take until we were 251 yards away from THE worst pass defense in the entire history of the NFL to make an adjustmet. THAT is stubborn defined.

Thankfully, if you are a Schiano fan, Josh Freeman had a few career games and virtually saved your season. Doug martin was a big help as well, but Freeman saved Schiano's job this year. Apparently, Schiano is not going to be let go this year, but there needs to be a great amount of change going forward. You CAN NOT wait until the very last game of the year, with the record for futility on the line to make adjustments.....if you want to keep the fans interested.

My personal note to Schiano: Greg, you are not a good football coach. You are stubborn, egotistical, and impractical. Even if you had the NFL's very best corners, you would still not be able to run your crap Rutgers defense successfully in THIS league(see Andy Reid). I hope you are replaced soon, because I really like Buccaneer football. I want the team to succeed. Judging solely by your ability to make adjustments, it's obvious to me that you are not the guy to do it.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

BucFanHudson31

Starter

#1 : January 01, 2013, 06:56:15 PM

It's not Shiano,it's this defensive line..As much as I like Bennett I think we need an explosive edge rusher and a true BEAST at undertackle and our D as a whole will become alot better..

Freeman has improved and I was wrong about him.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 01, 2013, 07:54:08 PM

What if.... Claiborne, Price, Okoye, and Bowers had been (and stayed) healthy all season? With our lack of veterans and quality depth, it's miraculous we weren't a whole lot worse in pass D. Schiano with this patchwork team, except for 1-2 games, was consistantly competitive all year.
    We have a very young team; they cannot quickly make in-game adjustments and instantly get it right nearly as well as a group of vets, or guys who have been together several years. For all we know, they've been practicing new stuff, but the DB's may have been messing it up worse in practice than what we saw in games.
    Anyway, I'm done with last season, and looking forward to next...

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 01, 2013, 08:07:44 PM

Some coaches make adjustments on the fly. Some prefer to make adjustments at halftime. Our coach decided to wait until the very last game of the year to make an adjustment and go to a predominant Cover Two defense for the majority of the game versus Atlanta. I have to give him credit for changing it up, and allowing the players to be in positions to make plays. But at the same time, with the success we had versus one of the very best teams in the entire NFl...........WTF took so long?

Wasn't it obvious after the Giants game, when your top CB's were Talib and Wright, that there was a problem with this defense? Your top two "shutdown" corners got fried by Manning and Co. So what was the answer? To put a bunch of unproven guys back there and continue with the exact same system? Sometimes, just a little bit of common sense is much more powerful than a whole lot of ego.

The big issue going forward for this team is whether or not this coach is going to be able to make adjustments. Obviously, his Rutgers defense is going to be scrapped after this season. But, you have to wonder why it took until the last game....why did it take until we were 251 yards away from THE worst pass defense in the entire history of the NFL to make an adjustmet. THAT is stubborn defined.

Thankfully, if you are a Schiano fan, Josh Freeman had a few career games and virtually saved your season. Doug martin was a big help as well, but Freeman saved Schiano's job this year. Apparently, Schiano is not going to be let go this year, but there needs to be a great amount of change going forward. You CAN NOT wait until the very last game of the year, with the record for futility on the line to make adjustments.....if you want to keep the fans interested.

My personal note to Schiano: Greg, you are not a good football coach. You are stubborn, egotistical, and impractical. Even if you had the NFL's very best corners, you would still not be able to run your crap Rutgers defense successfully in THIS league(see Andy Reid). I hope you are replaced soon, because I really like Buccaneer football. I want the team to succeed. Judging solely by your ability to make adjustments, it's obvious to me that you are not the guy to do it.

We had an 11 point lead at half time @NYG, picked off Eli 3 times. Seemed to have worked there, maybe making them think they would just need to force Eli to make one more mistake to win the game.

What makes you believe we just played cover 2 in the last game, and defense changes were just done before last game. What did our safties and LBs do against Brees in first half of week 7? I did not see them blitzing at all.

Yes our pass D sucked, lost us games, trading a worse rush D for giving up less passing yeards might have been a good idea. But you argumentation makes you look 'stubborn, egotistical, and impractical'. Sorry.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 01, 2013, 08:11:08 PM

Your personal note to Greg Schiano. That he will never read. The type of person Schiano is, I'd say its HIGHLY unlikely he'd ever read message boards. And if he did I think it's highly unlikely he'd care about your opinion.

As for your rant - get over it. Schiano ain't going anywhere. At least wait until next year to see what happens when the team isn't decimated by injuries and devoid of talent in the secondary. So many whiners on this message board.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 01, 2013, 08:21:04 PM

I honestly believe that the Falcons just weren't into it until Smith reamed them at the half.  They seemed pretty lifeless to me.  Regardless, our guys played hard after a horrible slide.  And didn't our own players have to suggest to quit stunting so much???  Isn't that the coach's job?  If we are running that same crap Rutgers big least defense in 2013 then 2014 will be Greg's last...I have no doubts.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: When to make defensive adjustments? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools