Boards > Pirate's Cove

2013 Tampa Bay Rays

<< < (12/90) > >>

Biggs3535:

--- Quote from: Dolorous Jason on March 09, 2013, 08:08:31 AM ---...and don't get me wrong , I understand we are small market and can't spend with the L.A.'s and New York  , but come on - throw me a bone now and then. We can do a little more than we do to try and win it all .

--- End quote ---

It's pretty clear you don't understand a damn thing.

Dolorous Jason:
Surprising coming from the guy who has an excuse for everything the Rays do.

Sweep:

--- Quote from: Biggs3535 on March 08, 2013, 08:00:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Sweep on March 08, 2013, 07:43:42 PM ---Speaking of Gimenez,  (you guys probably already knew this but I didn't) he has a minor league option so the odds are against him staying.

But c'mon, last year after being sent down to Durham May 28 and changing his swing, in 71 games there he hits .310, 10 hr's, 49 RBI's.  Then after being recalled to the Rays on Aug 31, he hits .406, 3 doubles, 1 hr, and 5 RBI's in 18 games to finish the season.   And now, this spring, he's leading the club in hitting at .526 in 10 games.

I have zero knowledge or memory of his defense or calling pitches, but, that's a hot bat since May 28 a year ago.

--- End quote ---

Gimenez is a defensive guy.  If he can hit .275 and 10 dingers in the pros, that's a win.

--- End quote ---

Thanks.  Keeping my eye on how he does the rest of spring in comparison to the other catchers.

Biggs3535:

--- Quote from: Dolorous Jason on March 09, 2013, 11:54:54 AM ---Surprising coming from the guy who has an excuse for everything the Rays do.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that describes me well.  I'm a regular shill for the Maddon, Friedman, and Rays.

You are on top of things, alright.

olafberserker:
Rays extended CC, Zobrist and Shields along with Longo.  Price isn't interested in signing a long term deal.  he wants to hit the market.   Who have the let walk for nothing for financial reasons that has bit them in the rear?  I can't think of anyone.

Dolorous Jason:

--- Quote from: olafberserker on March 09, 2013, 02:48:05 PM ---Rays extended CC, Zobrist and Shields along with Longo.  Price isn't interested in signing a long term deal.  he wants to hit the market.   Who have the let walk for nothing for financial reasons that has bit them in the rear?  I can't think of anyone.

--- End quote ---

Most recently BJ  and  Shields . CC bombed out under the pressure of the Boston market ,  so it looks okay now , but he was a baller for us and we'd probably be better with him in left field still. We basically let Posey walk for financial reasons also even though he was never astually on the team.

...and how many times have we been in the playoff hunt at the trading deadline , needing more bats to make a serious run , and done nothing ??

olafberserker:
CC hasn't done anything since he left and was wearing down when he was here.  They traded Shields for top prospects including Myers, the young bat they needed.   BJ isn't anything substantial at this point and he didn't seem to have much interest in staying.   I agree they should have drafted Posey and I have taken issue with their lack of moves at the deadline, but that isn't the same as letting guys walk for nothing.   I also agree that our line up looked like a Triple A line up last year at times.  It's one of the reasons that Stu's whining about attendance rubs me the wrong way.  Can't blame people for not wanting to drive to St Pete for a week night game against the Indians when there is almost as good a shot at seeing the Rays get no hit as there is seeing them win the game.

olafberserker:
If you understand we are small maarket, then you should understand that some guys are going to walk and some are going to be traded.  That comes with the territory.

Dolorous Jason:

--- Quote from: olafberserker on March 09, 2013, 03:04:56 PM ---If you understand we are small maarket, then you should understand that some guys are going to walk and some are going to be traded.  That comes with the territory.

--- End quote ---

I do understand that ...I guess my only point is when the team is good and we have a window to make a run at a title we should do it . I feel like we could have done more those seasons we were in the playoff hunt to get over the hump , but  instead we just stick to our status quo cheapness no matter what.

It annoys me.

Biggs3535:

--- Quote from: Biggs3535 on January 02, 2013, 11:12:04 AM ---Projected Line-up:

CF - Dez Jennings
SS - Yunel Escobar
RF - Ben Zobrist
3B - Evan Longoria
DH - Matt Joyce
2B - Sean Rodriguez
1B - James Loney
C - Robinson Chirinos???
LF - Sam Fuld

Projected Rotation:

1.  David Price - LHP
2.  Jeremy Hellickson - RHP
3.  Matt Moore - LHP
4.  Jeff Niemann - RHP
5.  Alex Cobb - RHP

Set-Up Man:  Jake McGee
Closer:  Fernando Rodney

--- End quote ---

Revisited after signing and most of Spring Training:

Line-up:

1.  Dez Jennings - CF
2.  Yunel Escobar - SS
3.  Ben Zobrist - RF
4.  Evan Longoria - 3B
5.  Luke Scott - DH (Great Spring)
6.  Matt Joyce - LF
7.  Kelly Johnson - 2B
8.  Jame Loney - 1B
9.  Chris Gimenez? - C

Rotation:

1.  David Price - LHP
2.  Jeremy Hellickson - RHP
3.  Matt Moore - LHP
4.  Alex Cobb - RHP
5.  Roberto Hernandez - RHP???  (Niemann is trade bait)

Closer:  'Nando Rodney
Set-up:  Jake McGee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version