Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs setting themselves up for a problem by pushing cap charges into the future? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#15 : January 03, 2013, 08:59:25 AM

For some, it will be heart-warming to see the Bucs spending big once again. After all, they routinely spent money leading up to their Super Bowl win in 2002. Unfortunately, that consistent spending is also what hurt them in subsequent years, as they built up huge salary cap problems, forcing them to cut ties with many of the franchise's stalwarts. Letting John Lynch and Warren Sapp walk were big issues for the Bucs, and having to cut ties with Keyshawn Johnson and his massive contract didn't help either.
These people write these stupid articles with zero research.  We didn't let Lynch and Sapp go because of cap issue.  **CENSORED**....We let them go while signing the Raiders' 40 year old linemen and RB to big contracts.

Actually the decision was made by McKay and Kiffin the previous year when they signed McFarland to a large contract that they were going to allow Sapp to walk at the conclusion of his contract - Lynch came down to his neck injury and the team not thinking he could play at the same level coming back from injury.
With Lynch we told him that he could come back, but Flip was going to be the starter at SS.  Again....This guy is just make assumptions instead of doing research and writing fact.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#16 : January 03, 2013, 09:03:53 AM

$55M puts Mike Wallace in play. And Jared Cook.

Jared Cook would be huge, because TE is an actual need . Mike Wallace would just be straight up greed , lol.
I'd be all for it... After we pay Mike Will and at least 2 new corners tho.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 03, 2013, 03:13:22 PM

For some, it will be heart-warming to see the Bucs spending big once again. After all, they routinely spent money leading up to their Super Bowl win in 2002. Unfortunately, that consistent spending is also what hurt them in subsequent years, as they built up huge salary cap problems, forcing them to cut ties with many of the franchise's stalwarts. Letting John Lynch and Warren Sapp walk were big issues for the Bucs, and having to cut ties with Keyshawn Johnson and his massive contract didn't help either.
These people write these stupid articles with zero research.  We didn't let Lynch and Sapp go because of cap issue.  **CENSORED**....We let them go while signing the Raiders' 40 year old linemen and RB to big contracts.

Actually the decision was made by McKay and Kiffin the previous year when they signed McFarland to a large contract that they were going to allow Sapp to walk at the conclusion of his contract - Lynch came down to his neck injury and the team not thinking he could play at the same level coming back from injury.
With Lynch we told him that he could come back, but Flip was going to be the starter at SS.  Again....This guy is just make assumptions instead of doing research and writing fact.

Lynch doesn't see too thrilled with that decision. He mentions all the time about being "fired".

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#18 : January 03, 2013, 05:03:21 PM

Nobody thinks the extra money will be used to lock up Freeman?  Not saying its a good decision, but logical no?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 03, 2013, 05:23:18 PM

Nobody thinks the extra money will be used to lock up Freeman?  Not saying its a good decision, but logical no?

Freeman and Bennett....yes it could be the case.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 03, 2013, 07:54:03 PM

Freeman and Bennett....yes it could be the case.

I thought so before this season, but now?  No way.  They need to evaluate him more before locking up big money on him.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 03, 2013, 08:10:35 PM

Yucs can correct me if I'm wrong, but rolling the room over allows them to roll any extra over the following year. They may be putting any extension for Freeman on hold, but they have to have the room should he prove worthy of it.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 03, 2013, 08:13:19 PM

Yucs can correct me if I'm wrong, but rolling the room over allows them to roll any extra over the following year. They may be putting any extension for Freeman on hold, but they have to have the room should he prove worthy of it.

Or....they could just tag him after 2014, assuming he had a pretty good year in 2013.  Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 03, 2013, 08:18:14 PM

Jared Cook is intriguing, but I'm not convinced TE is a focal point for the offense.

And why so much love for Brent Grimes?  He's nice player, of course, but he's a) coming off a torn achilles; b) has only made through a 16 game schedule once; c) will be 30 years old this summer. I know that Bowers and Suggs recovered quickly, but those guys are exceptions.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 03, 2013, 08:20:40 PM

Jared Cook is intriguing, but I'm not convinced TE is a focal point for the offense.

And why so much love for Brent Grimes?  He's nice player, of course, but he's a) coming off a torn achilles; b) has only made through a 16 game schedule once; c) will be 30 years old this summer. I know that Bowers and Suggs recovered quickly, but those guys are exceptions.

I am a Sean Smith fan,  if they can somehow pry him out of Miami.  Still young.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 03, 2013, 08:24:12 PM

Or....they could just tag him after 2014, assuming he had a pretty good year in 2013.  Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

+1 AJ. Franchise tag is custom made for an inconsistent player like Freeman....if you plan on keeping inconsistent players, that is.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 03, 2013, 08:42:58 PM

intriguing, sure.  but the guy is not happy about his (lack of) role in TEN.  why would he want to be 4th option here?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 03, 2013, 08:48:39 PM

I think they make a push for three or four fairly recognizable names: Danny Amendola, Jarius Byrd, Keenan Lewis and Sebastian Vollmer. Then sign three lower tier players CB DJ Moore, DT Sammie Lee Hill and TE Anthony Fasano the rest will be used to re-sign their own (DE Michael Bennett, LS Andrew Economos, DT Roy Miller) if they feel there is not a better option on the market. The other money could be used to extend an early offer to Mike Williams and possibly Freeman.

Also the number floated in the article of $24 million is off.

Here is my updated salary cap status for committed cash thus far for 2013: $88,984,126.00 million.

The cap is slated to Be slightly north of $120 million (88.9 minus 120 = $31.1 million available)

31.1 plus (8.5 million the team could roll over in unused 2012 cap, 13.25 million if they release Wright & Black, and the 1.63 million from the Skins and Boys salary dumping) grand total around $55.38 million to use to re-sign players, free agents and draft picks.

I'm a fan of Lewis as well Yucc, I think Buffalo will tag Byrd. I'd like to see Delmas signed to an incentive laden deal(he and Biggers have some sort of connection one was adopted by the others parents or something like that). What are your thoughts on Loadholt and Woodhead?

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 03, 2013, 08:55:37 PM

+1 AJ. Franchise tag is custom made for an inconsistent player like Freeman....if you plan on keeping inconsistent players, that is.

Ok, tag or extension - in either case, they'll need cap room.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#29 : January 03, 2013, 08:57:42 PM

intriguing, sure.  but the guy is not happy about his (lack of) role in TEN.  why would he want to be 4th option here?

that's sort of my point (unclear as I made it). He's an intriguing player in a vacuum - for the Bucs, not sure it's a priority and therefore probably not a place he'll end up.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs setting themselves up for a problem by pushing cap charges into the future? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools