Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Baller « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#15 : January 03, 2013, 10:23:09 AM

I would think people would be hesitant to crown rookie QBs as the second coming after watching Cam Newton struggle this year.   Wilson may become a future star but lets first see how he does in his second year once coaches have a full off-season to analyze his game and game-plan against him

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 03, 2013, 10:24:50 AM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap2000000120999/Sound-FX-Russell-Wilson

I think Russell Wilson single handedly made me decide that freeman sucks. I mean how can you not watch this rookie lead his team and not admit that Freeman just doesn't have "it"? I mean this guy, as a rookie, is such a leader, a motivator, and he's coaching up his receivers mid game to make adjustments. He plays so smart and makes very few mistakes. He is the anti-Freeman.

No doubt in my mind if Russell Wilson is this team's QB this season, the Bucs are playing this weekend. Instead, we're stuck w/an inconsistent QB who's 24-34 in his career w/ZERO playoff appearances.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 03, 2013, 10:36:54 AM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap2000000120999/Sound-FX-Russell-Wilson

I think Russell Wilson single handedly made me decide that freeman sucks. I mean how can you not watch this rookie lead his team and not admit that Freeman just doesn't have "it"? I mean this guy, as a rookie, is such a leader, a motivator, and he's coaching up his receivers mid game to make adjustments. He plays so smart and makes very few mistakes. He is the anti-Freeman.

No doubt in my mind if Russell Wilson is this team's QB this season, the Bucs are playing this weekend. Instead, we're stuck w/an inconsistent QB who's 24-34 in his career w/ZERO playoff appearances.

Agreed.

It seems from watching that Seattle team and hearing what their players say, that team loves the whole package that Wilson brings to the table. The play for the guy 100%. I have never got that feeling from the Bucs players about Josh Freeman.

Who knows if Russell Wilson will continue to improve, or slide back into slumpville next year. One thing is for sure, though. The guys passes the eye test, which is something we can't say about Freeman.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#18 : January 03, 2013, 10:40:26 AM

A few quotes from April prior to the draft...

Russell Wilson does seem to have his head on straight.   I'd love to see the Bucs pick him up.

Russell Wilson would be an excellent pick up and could be a solid #2 guy for us.

Agreed.   And he might even beat out Freeman.   At least he would give Freeman some much needed competition.

2012 Draft.........Whats You Dream Scenario?
1) LB Luke Kuechly
2) Doug Martin RB
3) QB Russell Wilson

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 03, 2013, 10:46:51 AM

I'd trade Freeman for Russell Wilson right now.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 03, 2013, 10:53:28 AM

There is no doubt that Wilson and RGIII are talented. There is no doubt that Cam Newton is talented but when the NFL gets a year to watch tape on a new style offense, it becomes less effective. I think both guys will do just fine but they will have to fall into a more traditional style of QB'ing next year.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 03, 2013, 10:56:41 AM

Kirk Cousins would have been a good pickup for the Bucs too.   He's also better than Freeman.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 03, 2013, 10:57:47 AM

Sunrise...good points with stats but they do not tell the story at all.   We'll see next year.  Personally, I am over Josh, so let that be understood.  Still it would be nice if he actually developed.  I have ascribed his issues to inner issues as much as fundamentals.  His idea of what a leader is, what he is willing to develop within himself etc. may all be questioned.  Throwing balls at the feet of recfeivers and waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over their heads.....hey, I hope the kid works out.  I'm just not expecting it at all.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 03, 2013, 11:01:35 AM

JD - I won't comment on the veracity of the rumors, but I will say that by all accounts he does work hard. You hear that from players and coaches alike. It's possible he's partying hard and working hard (he wouldn't be the first - Bobby Layne, Sonny Jurgenson, Big Ben). Not that I recommend it.

On Wilson, something people might not know - he's extremely bright. He played HS football at Richmond's equivalent of Berkeley Prep, Collegiate HS. His dad was a Dartmouth grad and his grandfather was a college president.

Knucknbuc

Pro Bowler

#24 : January 03, 2013, 11:04:51 AM

Crowning these rookie QB's way to early let them play 2 seasons first. If he can back it up next year then I'll admit its not looking good for freeman if he doesn't improve next year. But more then likely when these D coordinators get an offseason to study tape I bet you 2 out of 3 of the rookie phenom qb's struggle next year. I don't get the bashing of josh's intangibles neither. From anything that we always hear is that JF is a hard worker and always trying to improve. He's had alot of comebacks too within his short career and probably would of had 2-3  more this year if we didn't have one of the worst assembly of starting corners in the history of the nfl.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 03, 2013, 11:05:57 AM

So was Cam Newton as a rookie. Wilson and Griffin III have no doubt shown way more leadership skills, using their options in specific game situations more intelligently than Josh has demonstrated. With Schiano's emphasis on leadership and a strong sense of responsibility, I'm sure Schiano is very aware. With that said, let's see how these rookies phenoms from this season fare in season 2. Preparation is so key to a QB's performance. Their ability to properly read defensive keys. A lot of it is on the OC too; how much does he TRUST his QB to change plays, and what options does the OC's scheme give the team within given plays? All thru Raheem's tenure, it looked like Caddy was calling out pre-snap stuff rather than Josh, which certainly makes me wonder if Josh was kinda slow learning, or prone to error, or what. This year he appears to have been given that role, so that's a baby step.
   As far as learning leadership, it CAN be learned; Josh is not yet 25. What he needs in his life is a strong-willed, responsibility-oriented, tough-minded taskmaster. Raheem was NOT it, and likely set him back!!
    I will say if he can't 'get it' from these coaches, he probably will ultimately flunk as an NFL QB...

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 03, 2013, 11:07:47 AM

Josh is not yet 25.

Do you know when he turns 25?    In 10 days.

I consider that 25.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 03, 2013, 11:09:44 AM

I think the comparisons to Newton are laughable. Newton slump was predictable. He's a one man show and it's all athletism. There is immaturity and no leadership there. His super man heroics are entertaining but don't make the team better and don't lead to wins.

Wilson is mobile, but that is where the similarities end. He is great because he is everything Cam is not.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 03, 2013, 11:49:23 AM

I like Wilson but this thread has single handedly made me hope he implodes this weekend. Your anti-Freeman was 3-5 with 9 TDs/8 INTs on the road.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 03, 2013, 11:56:10 AM

Most QBs don't regress like Freeman did without a major injury ( Palmer). I wouldn't expect Wilson not be good. Teams have a lot of film on him already. It doesn't take months to gameplan.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Baller « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools