Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: very outside the box approach to draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

buc_on_or_buc_off

Second String

: January 03, 2013, 11:59:51 AM

Okay guys, so if I am mark dominik, I'm looking at the draft thinking that while the secondary needs help, the offense is a piece or two away from being elite. Now, many have been clamoring for a slot guy which I agree is important, but I feel we can find that in free agency or later rounds. From where we pick, its likely milliner will be gone and I'm not a huge fan of Banks. That said I like our chances on round 2 prospects such as Rhodes and Logan Ryan, not to mention free agents like Grimes and DRC. With the thirteenth pick, I like Chance Warmack. If you look at the offense, you'll see that the quickest way to gain consistent success is to open holes for martin and give freeman time. If you  take Warmack you get an absolute beast, and the highest level interior lineman to come out in years. Slide him over to C and we have the best o-line and offense in football.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 03, 2013, 12:14:44 PM

There problem with this is RT is a much bigger need, and the team currently has three guards two starters in Nicks and Joseph and a very capable backup in Meredith - if the team is going to use its first round pick on an offensive linemen it should be with an eye towards the player to start his career at RT but have the ability to play LT in  a few years once Penn begins to decline. Not spend on a  guard in the first round.
: January 03, 2013, 12:17:15 PM yuccaneers

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 03, 2013, 12:18:45 PM

I love it, and it's a step in the right direction, but we still need a starting RT and depth at both Ts. That would be a great OL, but we'd still be not quite the best offense in the league. TE and depth at the skill positions, would still be an issue. Fix the defense and we have a playoff contender with the offense we have right now.

Sailing2smth

Starter

#3 : January 03, 2013, 12:35:39 PM

25 SACKS....

I like the pick on the line if its a T but we need to improve on the 25 sacks.  Thats why I like Demontre Moore, Bjoern Werner, or Dion Jordan in the first.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 03, 2013, 12:46:15 PM

No offense will ever win a superbowl behind that horrible defensive backfield of ours.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 03, 2013, 12:50:14 PM

If I was Dom I would do all he can to build up this defense this year. Get some competition for Freeman and play the year out. If Freeman stinks you got the rest of your team set. All you need is a QB who is accurate and smart enough to run the offense. 2013 offseason is for that. Then you got your window is open for the next few years to get it done.
: January 03, 2013, 12:57:31 PM BucBalla85

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 03, 2013, 12:52:55 PM

If we are drafting Warmack, he needs to be replacing Joseph. Instant upgrade.

Then ship out Joseph for a late round pick and save a boat load of cash.

That said, we need to improve the defense, so that is where #13 needs to be spent. Either DL, OLB, or CB.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 03, 2013, 01:39:15 PM

I think that focusing years of high picks and premium free agent signings on the interior of a team's offensive line is a lousy way to build a team.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 03, 2013, 02:12:42 PM

I think that focusing years of high picks and premium free agent signings on the interior of a team's offensive line is a lousy way to build a team.

Why? O Linemen have longer careers! So start out drafting them. Then the D line. Then the QB, LBs and TE. Then the WRs and DBs. Finish off with a rookie RB. Hopefully you obtained depth along the way.

buc_on_or_buc_off

Second String

#9 : January 03, 2013, 02:24:09 PM

I like our chances of signing two of the four quality FA DB's. Plus like I said take a Ryan or Rhodes in the second. The best thing on our team is Martin so we should do all that we can to help him succeed. If he has the top OLine you know you will be getting the most out of him.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 03, 2013, 02:28:53 PM

I think they need to do some things in those areas (oline) but not the only focus. Really though, they need to really evaluate what CAN improve their team in this draft and FA. Im sure you can find a number of different things there but then you have to rank those in value to your team and scheme. Oline is very important for a team that wants to run the ball and throw the ball down field a lot. However as weve seen its just as valuable to build up this pourous defense as well. I think its safe to say that this offense isnt gonna get it done every time you need them to. Especially if you got an inaccurate passer like Freeman at helm. I would carefully evaluate what you use the resources this team has this summer and find exactly what helps the team most and attack those areas to improve the team. The goal next year should be playoffs. Or at the very least taking another step forward than they did this year. They gotta make the moves that give us the best chance of that happening.

buc_on_or_buc_off

Second String

#11 : January 03, 2013, 02:53:15 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on who might be a more sure fire difference maker from the start? You know Warmack will do a lot of good, who else provides that value to our team from pick thirteen? Hankins? Jordan? Imo Warmack is the safest and likely best possible pick. I would love a Jarvis Jones or Manti Teo, but those guys will be gone. Getting an immediate top olineman at 13 is a steal. That said, if Werner somehow slides to us we better pounce. Dude is a legit stud end, reminds me a hell of a lot of Jared Allen, both technique and production.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 03, 2013, 03:05:16 PM

Why? O Linemen have longer careers! So start out drafting them. Then the D line. Then the QB, LBs and TE. Then the WRs and DBs. Finish off with a rookie RB. Hopefully you obtained depth along the way.
Because when you're talking offensive guards, it's a lousy value.  Yes, there are exceptions at every position, but the quality of the player is much more strongly correlated with draft postion with other positions than it is with OGs.  You draft at OG that high, he pretty much *has* to be Larry Allen to be worthwhile.  If he's more Davin Joseph, it's a pretty lousy pick.  *Good* teams can find quality guards outside of the first round.

Tampafan8251

Starter
#13 : January 03, 2013, 03:12:15 PM

Rhodes will be rising after that performance the other night and at the combine and his workouts and he is exactly what Schiano wants in a CB, if there isn't anything worth taking at 13 than I would love to trade down a few spots and if Rhodes is still there than get him. This team needs another pass rusher but to me DB's are the biggest needs. We need to sign atleast one Stud corner and maybe another one for depth and draft atleast two. We can all bash Freeman and while I am not saying he was the most consistent, he gave us a chance to win atleast three more games against the Eagles,Skins and Giants and our awful Secondary blew it. I say draft two cb's, a pass rusher and a slot wr than go with depth at positions we need. Give Freeman one more year, if another offseason with Sully helps him improve more than sign him if not than good bye and lets move on. There is no QB in this draft that will give us a better shot to win this year or is there any qb in FA that will.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 03, 2013, 03:15:55 PM

Because when you're talking offensive guards, it's a lousy value.  Yes, there are exceptions at every position, but the quality of the player is much more strongly correlated with draft postion with other positions than it is with OGs.  You draft at OG that high, he pretty much *has* to be Larry Allen to be worthwhile.  If he's more Davin Joseph, it's a pretty lousy pick.  *Good* teams can find quality guards outside of the first round.

I never said draft a G in round one.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: very outside the box approach to draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools