Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: very outside the box approach to draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

acacius

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 03, 2013, 03:45:22 PM

I think that focusing years of high picks and premium free agent signings on the interior of a team's offensive line is a lousy way to build a team.

Why? O Linemen have longer careers! So start out drafting them. Then the D line. Then the QB, LBs and TE. Then the WRs and DBs. Finish off with a rookie RB. Hopefully you obtained depth along the way.
Because when you're talking offensive guards, it's a lousy value.  Yes, there are exceptions at every position, but the quality of the player is much more strongly correlated with draft postion with other positions than it is with OGs.  You draft at OG that high, he pretty much *has* to be Larry Allen to be worthwhile.  If he's more Davin Joseph, it's a pretty lousy pick.  *Good* teams can find quality guards outside of the first round.
I never said draft a G in round one.
Well, the topic at hand was Warmack, not to mention I'd specified interior offensive linemen in the post you were replying to.  Hence my confusion.

Lord Bortles

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 03, 2013, 04:06:45 PM

I think that focusing years of high picks and premium free agent signings on the interior of a team's offensive line is a lousy way to build a team.

Why? O Linemen have longer careers! So start out drafting them. Then the D line. Then the QB, LBs and TE. Then the WRs and DBs. Finish off with a rookie RB. Hopefully you obtained depth along the way.
Because when you're talking offensive guards, it's a lousy value.  Yes, there are exceptions at every position, but the quality of the player is much more strongly correlated with draft postion with other positions than it is with OGs.  You draft at OG that high, he pretty much *has* to be Larry Allen to be worthwhile.  If he's more Davin Joseph, it's a pretty lousy pick.  *Good* teams can find quality guards outside of the first round.
I never said draft a G in round one.
Well, the topic at hand was Warmack, not to mention I'd specified interior offensive linemen in the post you were replying to.  Hence my confusion.
It''s alright. Now, if we had Patriot's level of talent, yeah lets draft an interior o line man if its a need.

RD 1) QB B. Bortles/ T. Bridgewater/ J. Manziel
RD 2) WR Kelvin Benjamin/ A. Robinson/ D. Adams/ M. Lee/
RD 3) OG D. Dozier/ C. Richardson/
RD 5) WR D. Archer/ J. Huff/ M. Davis/ TJ Jones/ R Grant
RD 6) OLB P Shembo/ R. Powell/ - DE A. Lynch/ M Sam  RD 7) G B. Thomas (injured)

acacius

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 03, 2013, 04:13:28 PM

It''s alright. Now, if we had Patriot's level of talent, yeah lets draft an interior o line man if its a need.
Now that I think we might be on the same page, I will say that I'd actually be pretty ok with the idea of drafting an interior olineman in the mid-rounds.  I don't think they *have* to, but we don't know how well Joseph is going to come back next year, and goodness knows that the team could use some depth.  Just not in the first.  Particularly since Cooper is the player more likely to actually be there when the team is drafting.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 03, 2013, 04:33:47 PM

We need to infuse some talent at CB. I don't care if Rhodes is a reach. He has great potential to be a great CB in the NFL.

Right now, he is getting away with physical talent alone but with proper coaching at his technique he can develop into a top flight CB. He resembles Nnamdi Asomugha in his prime.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 03, 2013, 04:41:27 PM

Werner, Rhodes, or Richardson in the 1st.

Draft Aaron Donald

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 03, 2013, 04:44:24 PM

What is Richardson's first name?

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 03, 2013, 04:47:49 PM

: January 03, 2013, 04:50:23 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 03, 2013, 04:53:28 PM

Thank you, sir.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 03, 2013, 04:55:43 PM

Okay, using my expert youtube research, I am on board with all of this.

EDIT: Get Werner, Rhodes and Richardson in the first! :)

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 03, 2013, 05:04:48 PM

I haven't watched hardly any college football this year, so I'm youtubing it as well.

Draft Aaron Donald

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 03, 2013, 05:07:58 PM

Yeah, I'm mostly in favor of positions. I don't know enough to intelligently discuss specific players, but I'm fully on board with improving the line and improving the secondary. I like what I have read about Rhodes and think he fits the bill as to what Schiano looks for in players. I've seen more of Werner than most college players and feel like he's going to be unrelenting pain in the ass in the NFL.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 03, 2013, 06:14:10 PM

Rhodes will be gone by round two with 13th pick. IMO.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 03, 2013, 06:19:49 PM

I agree Lady....and from what I've seen of him I don't believe 13th overall would be a reach.

Draft Aaron Donald

McCoy93

Starter

#28 : January 03, 2013, 09:47:55 PM

If we spend a 1st on the line it better be for Lewan especially after the performance he had against Clowney

Sailing2smth

Starter

#29 : January 03, 2013, 10:07:28 PM

I haven't watched hardly any college football this year, so I'm youtubing it as well.

I have...and out of those three I would only take Werner.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: very outside the box approach to draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools