Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: very outside the box approach to draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#30 : January 03, 2013, 10:32:19 PM

Say what you will about youtube, but I've watched 12 of Rhodes games on youtube. Not highlights. Those make everyone look good. I mean 12 actual games that show the good and the bad. I think he's every bit the prospect Milliner is.

Richardson, I haven't seen as much film....but he definitely has some explosive penetrations to his game. More so than any other DT in this draft. At least from what I've seen. I don't know too much about Richardson though. Character, motor, and injury history are still a mystery to me. The offseason is young.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 04, 2013, 02:47:55 AM

No Lombardi with Gosh as our QB.

Sailing2smth

Starter

#32 : January 04, 2013, 03:16:04 AM

Say what you will about youtube, but I've watched 12 of Rhodes games on youtube. Not highlights. Those make everyone look good. I mean 12 actual games that show the good and the bad. I think he's every bit the prospect Milliner is.

Richardson, I haven't seen as much film....but he definitely has some explosive penetrations to his game. More so than any other DT in this draft. At least from what I've seen. I don't know too much about Richardson though. Character, motor, and injury history are still a mystery to me. The offseason is young.

Not taking anything away from youtube, lol.

IMHO, Rhodes looks good because he had a very good pass rush on that FSU - D.  He most certainly has ball skills though. 
Put him with our pathetic excuse of a line and he will look no better than EJ!  Now I know that folks will say "hey - we get Adrian back next year!"
That's true and all but I still say having a penetrating front four can make a secondary look good.  Which is why I want Lovie above all else because he is from the Dungy tree and understands that logic.  Then after that lets get Werner with Clayborne, Bowers, and hopefully Bennet and rotate them like NYG does.

One can dream.

With Richardson I have not seen too many games of him.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#33 : January 04, 2013, 08:01:37 AM

Gotta disagree about your assessment of Rhodes. He has 25lbs on Biggers, excels in playing physical at the line, tackles very well for a CB, and plays the ball. He is the exact opposite of Biggers. Besides that, we can't draft CBs with the frame of mind that our pass rush sucks. That shouldn't even be part of the thought process of drafting a CB imo.

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#34 : January 04, 2013, 10:08:28 AM

I found this to be very interesting as well.   I would love to have Eifert as a Buc.  He seems to have vacuums for hands and is a very large target, but this is only predicated on a CB not being there. 

Have a question about the Bucs? Tribune reporters Roy Cummings and Ira Kaufman will answer it. Send your question now.

Q: If by chance the top two defensive backs aren't available, who what other position would Tampa target in the first round?

Freddy, Port Isabel, Texas

A: I've been saying for weeks, if not months, that a tight end is just as much of a need for the Bucs as a cornerback. They may also want to look for an upgrade at offensive tackle, particularly for the right side. One name to keep an eye on as the top of the draft boards begins to settle is Tyler Eifert. With the 13th overall pick, the Notre Dame tight end could be a target for the Bucs.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#35 : January 04, 2013, 10:11:52 AM

many mocks have ertz available in the 2nd.  think that would be a better route.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

#36 : January 04, 2013, 10:15:16 AM

Tyler Eifer was a captain at Notre Dame too.  After listening to Mark Dom's show, where he said the board is down to 200 players and dropping due to their "different" approach to the draft I think this pick becomes more of a serious option.  I have to think we trade down though, don't think he has the 'numbers' to go at 13 but combine is yet to come.

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#37 : January 04, 2013, 10:20:06 AM

His only downfall is that he can't play CB...

Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
Height: 6-6. Weight: 251.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.
12/8/12: Entering the National Championship Game, Eifert has hauled in 44 passes for 624 yards and four touchdowns in 2012. Notre Dame has been terrible at getting the most out of him though, and the team's quarterback play has been extremely inconsistent. Eifert has made big improvements as a blocker this season.

8/21/12: Eifert performed excellently in 2011, and he was a dangerous weapon for Notre Dame. Despite less than stellar quarterback play, Eifert caught 63 passes for 803 yards and five touchdowns. He had a solid debut with 27 receptions for 352 yards and two touchdowns in 2010.

Eifert has shown flashes as a good blocker, but he needs to improve his effectiveness in that role. Eifert has great hands and makes tough catches down the middle of the field. His receiving ability is NFL-ready right now.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : January 04, 2013, 10:30:45 AM

Safety at #7 followed by a TE at #13.....yikes. I think we need to stick to CBs, OTs, and pass rushers in the top 15.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 04, 2013, 10:54:12 AM

Like I've said before, mock drafts are always inaccurate for some players. At one point, there were mock drafts that said Jimmy Claussen would be picked #1.

People look at the mock drafts and think that Rhodes is worse than Milliner and Banks, and will somehow be a 2nd round draft pick.

The reality is that if he runs the 40 in .05 seconds quicker than he has before, then he will be the first CB taken off the board.

A player that size and strength that can cover receivers that well will be drafted very high.

You don't often get 6'2" 220 lb guys who can cover that well. It's not like he would be drafted just on measurables, he has shown on tape consistently that he can lock down receivers.

The Bucs want to play single high safety and blitz a lot, and the only way they can do that is if they had a guy like Rhodes.

There's also a 0 percent chance that an offensive linemen gets picked in the first couple of rounds. Dominik has said before that he does not like looking at college tape of offensive linemen because there's too many variables.

He prefers to just pick up scraps from other teams once he's had a bit of tape on them.

The only exception to that would be if we were picking very high and there was a once in a generation LT available.
: January 04, 2013, 10:56:37 AM lyronmewis

buc_on_or_buc_off

Second String

#40 : January 04, 2013, 11:04:19 AM

Like I've said before, mock drafts are always inaccurate for some players. At one point, there were mock drafts that said Jimmy Claussen would be picked #1.

People look at the mock drafts and think that Rhodes is worse than Milliner and Banks, and will somehow be a 2nd round draft pick.

The reality is that if he runs the 40 in .05 seconds quicker than he has before, then he will be the first CB taken off the board.

A player that size and strength that can cover receivers that well will be drafted very high.

You don't often get 6'2" 220 lb guys who can cover that well. It's not like he would be drafted just on measurables, he has shown on tape consistently that he can lock down receivers.

The Bucs want to play single high safety and blitz a lot, and the only way they can do that is if they had a guy like Rhodes.

There's also a 0 percent chance that an offensive linemen gets picked in the first couple of rounds. Dominik has said before that he does not like looking at college tape of offensive linemen because there's too many variables.

He prefers to just pick up scraps from other teams once he's had a bit of tape on them.

The only exception to that would be if we were picking very high and there was a once in a generation LT available.

Hard to disagree with that and having watched more tape last night I do really like rhodes and agree with JDouble that he would not be a reach at thirteen. I really like our position in the draft and I have full confidence this staff will put a playoff contender on the field next season.

El Diablo

Starter

#41 : January 04, 2013, 11:54:57 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on who might be a more sure fire difference maker from the start? You know Warmack will do a lot of good, who else provides that value to our team from pick thirteen? Hankins? Jordan? Imo Warmack is the safest and likely best possible pick. I would love a Jarvis Jones or Manti Teo, but those guys will be gone. Getting an immediate top olineman at 13 is a steal. That said, if Werner somehow slides to us we better pounce. Dude is a legit stud end, reminds me a hell of a lot of Jared Allen, both technique and production.

You might be surprised but I think Teo might still be around when we pick. I have seen a few mocks that dropped him past 15 which I thought was weird but his 40 time at the combine will tell the story on him. I think he's smart and has football speed but too early to tell where these guys are going really. I am with you on Werner, we need a guy that can put his hand in the dirt and get to the QB on pass downs.

El Diablo

Starter

#42 : January 04, 2013, 12:02:47 PM

Safety at #7 followed by a TE at #13.....yikes. I think we need to stick to CBs, OTs, and pass rushers in the top 15.

Yeah we need to stick to those positions this early. I like the Stanford TE Ertz a lot.. Wonder if he will be around in the second rd. We have that 4th rd pick to play with too. Maybe Dom makes some more moves. Here is a video of Ertz, it's not the best vid but you can see how open the guy gets and he can block.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#43 : January 04, 2013, 12:06:00 PM

Teo's 40 time means absolutely nothing.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#44 : January 04, 2013, 12:12:32 PM

If the Bucs draft Teo I will be one happy man.

Guy would be GREAT in a Buc Uni.

I am hoping he slides to 13.  He won't, but it would be awesome if the Bucs got lucky for once.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: very outside the box approach to draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools