Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Keep an eye on possible future Buc Landry Jones tonight....... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« : January 04, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »

Roy Cummings ‏@RCummingsTBO

Tonight's Cotton Bowl is another Bucs fans may want to monitor. OU QB Landry Jones is on the Bucs radar

=======================

So early this week, Bucs coach Greg Schiano made no bones about how the Bucs want to give embattled quarterback Josh Freeman competition. Schiano was less than forthcoming how the Bucs would acquire said quarterback.

Joe knows the Bucs really do want competition for Freeman, and if that means drafting a guy in the middle rounds of the draft, so be it.

That’s why a little nugget on Twitter from Woody Cummings of the Tampa Tribune was so interesting when he typed that Bucs fans should watch and become familiar with Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones in tonight’s Cotton Bowl because the Bucs are kicking the tires on possibly drafting the three-year Sooners starter.

Joe doesn’t know what to make of this. Jones, once thought to be a high draft pick, has seen his stock steadily decline the past two seasons.

Joe does know that Bucs rock star general manager Mark Dominik greatly respects the opinion of Sooners coach Bob Stoops. After all, it was largely based on Stoops’ high recommendation that Dominik drafted defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.

Also, Dominik is fond of Big XII and Big Ten players, having used high draft picks on players from those conferences in Freeman, GMC, Adrian Clayborn, Roy Miller and Lavonte David.

Joe has no clue if the Bucs really would draft Jones in a middle round. But it doesn’t surprise Joe that Dominik might be watching Jones with a sharp eye.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/
« : January 04, 2013, 06:30:48 PM Morgan »

McCoy93

Starter

« #1 : January 04, 2013, 06:39:18 PM »

Jones is the one QB in this draft where i think if you sit him for two years and have a proper enviornment around him. He could turn out to be a solid starter. Reminds me of Shuab from the texans

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 04, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »

Generally, if you have a 3-4 year starter from a power program and everyone doesn't think he's a 1st round pick, there's no use messing with him.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

« #3 : January 04, 2013, 06:58:29 PM »

Jones is the one QB in this draft where i think if you sit him for two years and have a proper enviornment around him. He could turn out to be a solid starter. Reminds me of Shuab from the texans

That's EXACTLY the player I envision him as too haha. Same release and they kinda look similar in the face.

If he comes out and looks great tonight then I'd be all for grabbing him if he's there at the start of the 3rd round. If he looks average or not so great then I'd look elsewhere. I'm not down to draft a quarterback earlier than the 3rd round either unless it's Geno Smith or Barkley.

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 04, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »

Generally, if you have a 3-4 year starter from a power program and everyone doesn't think he's a 1st round pick, there's no use messing with him.

Exactly. His stock has really fallen the last few years. But, I'd be interested in maybe taking a 3rd or 4th round flyer on him depending on tonight's game.

In many bassin\' circles, trolling is often considered the lowest form of fishing - Jim Porter

McCoy93

Starter

« #5 : January 04, 2013, 07:07:30 PM »

I've seen a couple of Jones' games already; He is a bizzaro Freeman. Jone's strengths are Freeman inconsistencies; Jones has that quick accurate release when it comes to those short to intermediate passes but struggles with the long ball sometimes

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #6 : January 04, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »

team isn't good enough for the luxury of drafting a QB in the first several rounds - more pressing needs

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 04, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »

This is exactly what they did with Freeman....in fact, traded up to do it.

I think you are surely right in your analysis of this situation, however, I am not convinced this front office is aware of the traits a Qb needs to have coming out of college to be successful at the NFL level.

Freeman still has poor footwork, can't read defenses and make adjustments and stares down WR's without looking to his 2,3,4th option.. If the play breaks down, he loses focus down the field and focuses on the incoming rush.. These were all reasons not to draft him where we did to begin with.

Also to note, if he had proper coaching he would not still be having these issues.

While there is a Brady in the 6th round every now and then, it was his coaching that made him great. No doubt if we had Brady with Our Oline and coaches, he would have never done much in the NFL.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 04, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »

team isn't good enough for the luxury of drafting a QB in the first several rounds - more pressing needs

This is true.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 04, 2013, 08:04:42 PM »

I'm torn on Landry Jones.

At times, when he was set up perfectly to take the reigns of that team and lead them to a key victory, he fell flat on his face. OUs two losses this year weren't solely on Jones' shoulders....but he failed to step up when his team needed him the most. He played bad in the 2 games vs. K. State and ND, but every since the poor showing vs. the Irish, he has played a lot better.

He definitely failed to live up to his hype this year, especially considering that he may have been picked where Tannehill was selected had he come out last year.

He represents good value in the 3rd round, nothing "sooner" than that, though.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 04, 2013, 08:30:09 PM »

no thanks

jones crumbles under pressure. when things are going well and hes in rhythm hes money. if things dont go his way or he gets out of rhythm its really ugly. he went from top 10 pick to most likely a 3rd at best in a year if that tells you something

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 04, 2013, 08:48:12 PM »

I think you are surely right in your analysis of this situation, however, I am not convinced this front office is aware of the traits a Qb needs to have coming out of college to be successful at the NFL level.

Freeman still has poor footwork, can't read defenses and make adjustments and stares down WR's without looking to his 2,3,4th option.. If the play breaks down, he loses focus down the field and focuses on the incoming rush.. These were all reasons not to draft him where we did to begin with.

Also to note, if he had proper coaching he would not still be having these issues.

While there is a Brady in the 6th round every now and then, it was his coaching that made him great. No doubt if we had Brady with Our Oline and coaches, he would have never done much in the NFL.

KSU wasn't a power program when Freeman was there

Also, a lot of people thought of him as a late 1st rounder. He was thought of as a QB that would be better suited to sit behind a veteran for 2 years.

Instead we were forced to start him because Leftwich and Josh Johnson were terrible.

If Freeman sat behind a decent starter for 2 years, and had the same offensive coordinator and QB coach for that time, I think he would be a much better QB than he is right now.
« : January 04, 2013, 08:49:43 PM lyronmewis »

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 04, 2013, 08:54:56 PM »

he's looking pretty good tonight.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 04, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »

Also, a lot of people thought of him as a late 1st rounder. He was thought of as a QB that would be better suited to sit behind a veteran for 2 years.

Instead we were forced to start him because Leftwich and Josh Johnson were terrible.

If Freeman sat behind a decent starter for 2 years, and had the same offensive coordinator and QB coach for that time, I think he would be a much better QB than he is right now.

I agree 100%.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 04, 2013, 09:49:58 PM »

Yes. This is the point I would have made. Freeman is not in this category because he didn't play a power program. (Even though KSU is good now, they're doing it by running the option because they don't have the talent to do things the way power programs do it.) The closest corollary to Freeman coming out was Jay Cutler, who never won many games nor put up amazing stats for overmatched Vanderbilt teams, but he flashed enough to make people think if you put him around equal talent, he'd flourish.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Keep an eye on possible future Buc Landry Jones tonight....... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools