Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pressure will be turned up on Bucs QB Freeman. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 05, 2013, 12:41:41 AM »

Pressure will be turned up on Bucs QB Freeman.

Dan Parr
dparr@pfwmedia.com
Associate editor  ProFootballWeekly

Posted Jan. 04, 2013 @ 3:35 p.m. ET
By Dan Parr

Through his ups and downs, the Buccaneers have remained committed to Josh Freeman as their starting quarterback, and the expectation is he will return as the starter next season. That said, they were disappointed with his inconsistency in 2012, and head coach Greg Schiano has said he is looking for better competition at every position, including QB, this offseason.

The pressure on Freeman will be turned up, perhaps considerably, from this past season. He is heading into the final year of his rookie contract and our sources expect the Bucs to allow him to enter next season without a contract extension.

Freeman will be working with a new QB coach, as Ron Turner is departing after one season on the job with the Bucs to take the head-coaching position at Florida International University. GM Mark Dominik has not drafted a quarterback since he selected Freeman in the first round of the 2009 draft, but it’s believed that the Bucs are interested in adding a player to develop at the position this offseason to develop.

If they find the right one, that player could be the one that takes Freeman’s job down the line if he does not make the strides the Bucs want to see.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
« #1 : January 05, 2013, 01:48:32 AM »

Here's my bold prediction:  For the 2nd year in a row the Bucs trade back up into the bottom of the 1st round to select Ryan Nassib.  His stock is rising, and will only continue to do so throughout the draft process.  He is smart, accurate, and strong armed.  He's a good leader, and has good character.  Schiano knows him well from his years at Rutgers.  The Bucs will need to jump ahead of the other QB needy teams who may decide to pass on a 1st round QB to wait and pick up Nassib at the top of the 2nd.  My second bold prediction: Nassib will be the starter by the end of next season.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 05, 2013, 01:53:09 AM »

Here's my bold prediction:  For the 2nd year in a row the Bucs trade back up into the bottom of the 1st round to select Ryan Nassib.  His stock is rising, and will only continue to do so throughout the draft process.  He is smart, accurate, and strong armed.  He's a good leader, and has good character.  Schiano knows him well from his years at Rutgers.  The Bucs will need to jump ahead of the other QB needy teams who may decide to pass on a 1st round QB to wait and pick up Nassib at the top of the 2nd.  My second bold prediction: Nassib will be the starter by the end of next season.

Agree with the first part, but they will ride Freeman next season and maybe a season after that,  to make 100% sure he is not the guy.   But it wouldn't hurt to have Nassib waiting in the wings.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
« #3 : January 05, 2013, 02:04:37 AM »

Maybe, but I get the impression that Schiano's not a big fan of inconsistency and wouldn't hesitate to yank Freeman if he strings together a couple of dreadful games like he did this season.  That's especially true if he is able to add a few pieces and somehow turns this defense into a top 15 unit.  He's not going to want Freeman singlehandedly losing games if he's got a more accurate and decisive QB in the wings.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #4 : January 05, 2013, 03:22:54 AM »

No...not more pressure on the poor guy.    [sarcasm]

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

gone

Hall of Famer
« #5 : January 05, 2013, 03:26:02 AM »

Freeman is NOT inconsistent. 

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 05, 2013, 11:34:15 AM »

The Bucs absolutely should NOT trade up for a guy that may never take a snap for them.  You can not waste multiple picks like that.  Now, if Nassib falls to them in the 2nd, then that's fine, but to get into the mid 20's using pick #43, it'll cost you next year's #1 as well.  That's entirely too high of a price to pay.  You'll never get value unless Freeman fails and Nassib turns out great.  If Freeman gets his issues corrected and works out just fine, then you'll never be able to get a 1st and 2nd for Nassib, to just break even.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 05, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »

Interesting thoughts. We do have that extra 4th rounder from the Talib trade, and could add more by trading down in the first. Nassib's stock does appear to be solidly UP, but we'll know a lot more after the combine.
    It's up to Josh next year; if he performs well, he'll be starting. If not, Schiano will have a realistic option of benching him...

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 05, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »

Interesting thoughts. We do have that extra 4th rounder from the Talib trade, and could add more by trading down in the first. Nassib's stock does appear to be solidly UP, but we'll know a lot more after the combine.
    It's up to Josh next year; if he performs well, he'll be starting. If not, Schiano will have a realistic option of benching him...

Hey, if they trade down and select Nassib and get extra picks, that's better than trading back up.  Everything depends on what happens in the first 12 picks.  If there's a solid CB option available at 13, they should take him and just hope Nassib falls.  If not, I'm ok with them not taking a QB in this draft.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 05, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »

I'll believe it when I see it. So far Freeman has been coddled, and it wouldn't surprise me if nothing changed in that regard.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #10 : January 05, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »

Ryan Nassib has some potential, IMO, to be a good pro one day.

Could be wrong, but the guy is very smart, he has all the tools (he needs to take some heat off of his passes at times, IMO), and could be groomed for one season behind Gosh and should the Bucs decide to jettison him, they have a solid contingency plan set up.

Could be any deccent prospect QB, in all reality, but I like Nassib.  Smart kid.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 05, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »

Sounds like the best option I've heard so far. Do you guys think we move up? If they got any kind of doubt in josh and think this guy could be better they have to pull the trigger.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #12 : January 05, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »

IF the bucs are going to draft a qb - maybe Aaron Murray drops.. but that is the only one that might drop to where the bucs might make a pick - and frankly I don't think he will drop far enough

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 05, 2013, 12:15:10 PM »

Could be wrong, but the guy is very smart, he has all the tools (he needs to take some heat off of his passes at times, IMO), and could be groomed for one season behind Gosh and should the Bucs decide to jettison him, they have a solid contingency plan set up.

Could be any deccent prospect QB, in all reality, but I like Nassib.  Smart kid.

He should be around when the Bucs pick in the 2nd.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
« #14 : January 05, 2013, 02:45:15 PM »

He should be around when the Bucs pick in the 2nd.
I don't know about that.  The Chiefs, Bills, Jaguars, Jets, Eagles, Raiders, Cardinals, and Browns could theoretically all be in the market for a new QB (some depend on how a new coach would evaluate things), and they all pick twice before our 2nd round pick.  That's a big gamble if the Bucs have their eye on one particular player.  We'll have to see how the draft preparation plays out, but right now none of the QB's have separated themselves from the pack.  Geno Smith will likely be gone by our first pick.  Barkley is more of a west coast QB, and his decision making has been brought into question this season.  Glennon, Jones, Wilson, and Bray have essentially the same problems as Josh, a big arm but inconsistent accuracy and decision making.  That leaves Nassib, Murray, and Boyd (if the latter two declare).  I think that is where Schiano's familiarity with him from the Big East would be the deciding factor.  Only time will tell. 
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pressure will be turned up on Bucs QB Freeman. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools