Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Don't expect the Bucs to give up on Bill Sheridan « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 07, 2013, 12:00:09 AM »

JANUARY 06, 2013

After defensive struggles, don't expect Bucs to give up on Bill Sheridan

You might expect a coach presiding over the NFL’s 29th-ranked defense, one that posted historically poor numbers against the pass, to feel like his job is in jeopardy.

If you agree with that, then you probably think Bucs defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan is less than a sure thing to return for the 2013 season.
 In that case, this might surprise you.

To the contrary, there has been no indication from those inside One Buc Place that Sheridan is going anywhere. And it’s not just because he’s a nice guy (though he is that).

The Bucs believe there are important mitigating factors that contributed to the uneven performance of the defense, and Sheridan – in the opinion of the organization – is just a small part of the equation.

In the evaluation of Sheridan, coach Greg Schiano and general manager Mark Dominik are taking a few things into account.

* First is the fact that Sheridan was running Schiano’s defensive scheme, and after Sherican’s late hire – in mid-February – he and the staff then had to learn the intricacies of Schiano’s system. How big a role that played in Sheridan’s ability to teach and call the defense is hard to determine, but certainly it was at least a small factor.

With another year in the same system, the hope is that both coaches and players will perform at a higher level.

* While many have questioned some of the aggressive tactics used on defense – and I’m among that number – the Bucs appear more concerned about a lack of execution. This is one of the more difficult things for reporters covering football to determine: Are breakdowns the result of coaching decisions or players not doing what’s asked of them?

The answer is rarely that simple. But considering how many times we’ve heard Schiano emphasize the simple notion of “do your job,” maybe the Bucs are convinced the execution is the bigger issue.

* The final issue here is one everyone likely agrees on: That there wasn’t enough talent in the secondary for Sheridan to work with. No one anticipated the Bucs ever having a cornerback lineup of Leonard Johnson, Danny Gorrer and LeQuan Lewis, which was the case in some late-season games.

If the Bucs can augment in the talent in their secondary, particularly at cornerback, it likely would affect the results.

Bill Sheridan lasted just one season as coordinator when he assumed the post with the Giants in 2009. But today, in Tampa, if we’re reading the situation correctly, that won’t be the case this time around.

Posted by Stephen Holder at 6:22:56 pm on January 06, 2013

youngone

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 07, 2013, 12:02:25 AM »

**CENSORED**

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

« #2 : January 07, 2013, 12:08:58 AM »

Hey, I'm fine giving the guy another year.  Maybe I've got more patience than I should, and that was why I was called to teach special ed.  However, I do expect improvement. 

My main question with the excuse of "Sheridan is just running Schiano's Defensive Scheme" is that hopefully the DC has some push-back if he sees flaws in the boss-man's plans.  We saw some adjustments in pass D the last couple of games, with the same talent.  Hopefully that is just the beginning of tweaks to happen this offseason to improve blitz success and pass coverage.  If the D continues to underwhelm with upgrades to the talent next year, then Sheridan will have to go, and Schiano's job will be in jeopardy too, if he is unwilling to do things differently with the defense.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 07, 2013, 12:28:40 AM »

The scheme blows

Heisenbuc

Rookie

« #4 : January 07, 2013, 12:32:59 AM »

In all honesty, it didn't matter what scheme we were running. Our pass defense would have gotten slaughtered one way or another. And without Clayborn and Bowers together, we weren't gonna get consistent QB pressure. No scheme is gonna fix a lack of talent, depth, bad luck with injuries. Sheridan, like a lot of other people in Tampa, gets one more year.

Say my name...

gone

Hall of Famer
« #5 : January 07, 2013, 12:36:30 AM »

Considering it's Rutgers' scheme, if anyone should be on the hot seat it's him.

I'd also take a long look at Cooper.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 07, 2013, 12:37:16 AM »

"First is the fact that Sheridan was running Schiano’s defensive scheme" <-- This has to change. This syetm is awful as a pass defense system. Whatever the merits of stopping the run it has that doesn't matter.

"the Bucs appear more concerned about a lack of execution" <-- Coaches are there to get players to execute. You fire coaches who can't get people to do what they are asked consistently. There are no bad plays on paper.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 07, 2013, 02:26:03 AM »

The scheme blows

Agree.   And they seemed to change it up for the Atlanta game with good results.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #8 : January 07, 2013, 02:31:02 AM »

The scheme blows

Agree.   And they seemed to change it up for the Atlanta game with good results.

Need to be wary or reading too much into one game against a team that didn't give a **CENSORED** about the outcome.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 07, 2013, 02:40:49 AM »

The scheme blows

Need to be wary or reading too much into one game against a team that didn't give a **CENSORED** about the outcome.

I don't think the Bucs did either, so they said what the hell, lets try a few things on defense.  They knocked off the frekin stunts, and seem to play more press coverage, and they looked decent.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
« #10 : January 07, 2013, 03:23:25 AM »

Anti-Java, they also ran more Cover 2 in the final game than they ran all season.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 07, 2013, 04:12:51 AM »

I'm not impressed with BS.... (pun intended).

Granted, the guy really doesn't have a backfield that has any talent besides an aged barber, and yeah, we could also say it's still just his first season running schiano's defense, but ultimately the timing of plays is what killed the Bucs.

That's on schiano or Bill.

He (or schiano} called all out blitzes on third downs, even if there was room to work with. There were also situations, coachable situations, that were never addressed apparently. In many instances, they had corners stationed way, way out there. I understand the mantra of "keeping the guy in front" of them, but that was downright asinine. No jams, no tight coverage within ten yards, and they had a penchant for letting them abuse them down the middle late in games. Even the dumbest, least athletic players can hold someone up for a few seconds if taught properly. 75% of the time the corners were covering air, and in my eyes, that's coaching. When the offense knows what the defense is doing, that's coaching. When teams gameplan and attack using the pass, and Schiano and Bill don't make corrections to stop the bleeding, that's again, coaching.

Despite a depleted and inglorious group of cb's and a new system, there should have been opponent's tendencies gleaned from game to game. In each game, it seemed like they never learned. Playing the same defense that, in fairness, gave them a top running defense, but sold out so much so that it completely killed the pass defense. That is a balancing act that has not been figured out yet, if ever.

Despite all of this, I understand the situation he is in and think he deserves a chance next season to redeem himself. However, if next season he does have a sizable increase in talent, and still fails... He and/or Schiano need to go.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

« #12 : January 07, 2013, 01:08:11 PM »

How many think the vaunted "Tampa 2" run under Monty Kiffin would have been successful with this cast (off) characters we paraded out at CB this year, or the lack of pressure we applied with our front 4?
Anyone?

I don't think u make chicken salad out of chicken poop.
And even Michaelangelo couldn't paint a masterpiece on a dry erase board. IMO

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 07, 2013, 01:36:58 PM »

How many think the vaunted "Tampa 2" run under Monty Kiffin would have been successful with this cast (off) characters we paraded out at CB this year, or the lack of pressure we applied with our front 4?
Anyone?

I don't think u make chicken salad out of chicken poop.
And even Michaelangelo couldn't paint a masterpiece on a dry erase board. IMO

I think it would have been significantly more successful

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 07, 2013, 01:58:38 PM »

Good. Some consistency will be a nice change.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Don't expect the Bucs to give up on Bill Sheridan « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools