Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers backup QB plan now a priority « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 07, 2013, 12:04:23 AM »

Tampa Bay Buccaneers backup QB plan now a priority

CLIFF MCBRIDE/STAFF
Greg Schiano and the Bucs are likely to seek competition for QB Josh Freeman in the offseason.

By ROY CUMMINGS| The Tampa Tribune
Published: January 05, 2013

TAMPA --

Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik hasn't spent much time scouting quarterbacks the past few years. That will change this year.

The Bucs have decided that, after four years, QB Josh Freeman likely would benefit from a little more competition than career backup Dan Orlovsky provides. They've determined that Freeman needs a bit of a push.

But don't be fooled by the rhetoric.

The Bucs aren't going to spend this offseason looking for someone who has the ability just to push Freeman. They're likely going to spend this offseason looking for someone with the potential to replace him.

No, the Bucs have not given up on Freeman. Not a by a long shot. They still believe he has the makeup necessary to be a franchise quarterback, to lead them not only to the playoffs but the Super Bowl.

But what if they're wrong? What if Freeman never reaches the point where he can eliminate the two or three bad games that helped derail the Bucs' playoff drive this year? What if he never gets any better than he is right now?

That's what this offseason's search for a quarterback to compete with Freeman is all about. It's about getting ahead of the curve. It's about preparing for the possibility of a future without Freeman.

Fast forward to late 2013 or 2014. Imagine a Bucs team with Freeman playing at the same level as this year, which is good enough to dream about making the playoffs but not quite good enough to get there.

The Bucs have imagined that scenario. Freeman has left them no other choice. He forced the issue when he suddenly went off the rails down the stretch and cost them two critical games.

Now, imagine all you have behind Freeman is Orlovsky – at age 31 with only that handful of starts under his belt and little promise he will be anything more than a career backup. The Bucs have.

That's why they'll spend a good part of this offseason looking for a quarterback, one whom, if he doesn't have it already, may one day possess the ability to replace Freeman and keep the Bucs on the playoff path.

It's similar to what the 49ers did a couple years ago when they drafted Colin Kaepernick in the second round. Sure, they had Alex Smith at the time. They also had some doubts about Smith. Kaepernick became their insurance policy.

That's what the Bucs are looking for – an insurance policy. And don't discount the possibility Tampa Bay will find it in free agency.

They want a potential replacement, and if the research indicates someone such as Tavaris Jackson, Brady Quinn or Matt Moore could one day be that replacement, they might bite.

Still, the greater likelihood is the Bucs will do as the Eagles did in April, when they invested a third-round draft pick in Nick Foles, and purchase their insurance policy with a mid-round draft selection.

It's a good year to do that. The 2013 quarterback class is adequate, not great, but sets up rather nicely for a team such as the Bucs because it offers plenty of possibilities in the middle and late rounds.

As the draft is being projected now, there is a chance experienced prospects from big-time programs such as Landry Jones of Oklahoma and E.J. Manuel of Florida State could be available.

Enticing prospects such as Zac Dysert (Miami of Ohio) or Colin Klein (Kansas State) should be there for the taking in the middle rounds, as well. And if juniors Tyler Bray (Tennessee), Aaron Murray (Plant High and Georgia) and Keith Price (Washington) opt in, the Bucs could have a shot at one of them as well.

All in all, it's not a bad year for the Bucs to get back into the quarterback market, particularly when you consider exactly what it is they're looking for.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #1 : January 07, 2013, 01:17:29 AM »

The only QB from that list to consider is Zac Dysert

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 07, 2013, 01:43:57 AM »

I don't like any of them.  None of those mentioned are a threat to Freeman.  More a threat to Orvolsky.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #3 : January 07, 2013, 01:46:07 AM »

I don't like any of them.  None of those mentioned are a threat to Freeman.  More a threat to Orvolsky.
I don't either really. I think if we take a QB it should be Glennon from NC St.

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
« #4 : January 07, 2013, 01:48:04 AM »

Is Tahj Boyd declaring or returning to Clemson? He's really reminds me of Russell Wilson.

McCoy93

Starter

« #5 : January 07, 2013, 01:49:04 AM »

Look for Glennon's stock too sore after the combine and pro day; Someone will reach for him in the 1st

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 07, 2013, 01:49:58 AM »

Whats his name, Nassab  [sp?]  could be a possibilty.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #7 : January 07, 2013, 01:52:55 AM »

Nassib and Landry Jones could be worth looks. But I think Glennon has the ability to be the best QB in this draft, if he has a good combine and pro day we won't have shot even in round 1 to take him. Hopefully he tanks and we still can get him day 3.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 07, 2013, 01:54:29 AM »

Nassib and Landry Jones could be worth looks. But I think Glennon has the ability to be the best QB in this draft, if he has a good combine and pro day we won't have shot even in round 1 to take him. Hopefully he tanks and we still can get him day 3.

Ya I have seen mocks with Glennon in the top 10.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

YReceiver14

Starter

« #9 : January 07, 2013, 02:29:12 AM »

Watch:

and then rethink whether Glennon deserves to go before Round 4.

He makes Freeman's accuracy look like Montana's, and Freeman's footwork look... well, better than his.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 07, 2013, 08:03:17 AM »

It sounds like Mr. Cummings now 'gets it'. No, I doubt we take a QB in round 1, probably not even round 2. Round 3 is luke warm. I wouldn't be surprised Schiano already has someone in mind...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #11 : January 07, 2013, 08:08:25 AM »

I don't like any QBs in this draft, but I think Manuel or Dysert in the 3rd are the most likely to happen.

Landry Jones? Not a **CENSORED**ing chance.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #12 : January 07, 2013, 08:45:43 AM »

Colby Cameron could be a mid round option. He needs to bulk up a little, but he seems like just as good a prospect as most the QBs in this draft.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 07, 2013, 08:46:11 AM »

I'm not a fan of wasting a draft pick on a "project".  Projects accomplish nothing except waste time and money.  Occasionally, you'll get one who pans out to be a legit backup and spot starter, outside of that, they're not worth much.  With respect to the draft, you either draft a replacement or a 5th or 6th round 'shot-in-the-dark' backup who you might get some serviceable years from.  It is my opinion that there isn't a QB in this draft that will ever be as good as any QB in next years draft... in any year.  Meaning, I think next years first round rookies will enter the league better than every single QB in this draft as they go into their second year.  So, I wouldn't waste any picks on QB's.  Give Freeman his last year of his contract to turn things around and either extend him if warranted or replace him in April.  Odds are that if Freeman doesn't improve, they'll be a 5 or 6 win team next year and have a top 10 pick.  It shouldn't take much to move up to get a QB... if needed.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 07, 2013, 10:16:24 AM »

No shot at Glennon. I too think he will shoot up people's boards after his combine and pro day. He very well could be the 1st QB taken. I would like Dysert as a mid round option. I also wouldn't be too upset if we didn't draft a guy and just went all in on a 1st round guy in 2014. I think Aaron Murray comes back to Georgia and lights it up next year. He could be an option along with others in the '14 draft class.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers backup QB plan now a priority « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools