Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs move on from their best CB ? « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 07, 2013, 12:15:22 AM

2013 NFL Free Agency: Will Buccaneers cut Eric Wright?

By Sander Philipse on Jan 6, 12:00p

Bruce Kluckhohn-US PRESSWIRE

It's becoming increasingly clear that the Buccaneers will move on from Eric Wright -- but should they?

For the second straight year, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are looking to move on from their top cornerback. That, at least, is what recent reports appear to say. Both Pewter Report and the Tampa Bay Times have noted that Eric Wright has likely played his last game for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This seems entirely logical: Wright was decent but not spectacular last season, the fact that he suffered multiple nagging injuries won't help and his four-game suspension is yet another reason to move on from the cornerback.

Still, he is their best cornerback. Even with Eric Wright sticking around, the Bucs have a massive hole at their position. In fact, that hole is so big that many people thought last season that the Bucs would select cornerback Morris Claiborne with their first-round pick -- and that was with both Aqib Talib and Eric Wright on the roster. If Wright leaves, the Bucs will be stuck with Leonard Johnson and Anthony Gaitor as starters: an undrafted free agent in his second year, and a seventh-round pick in his third year. The Bucs are likely to bring back E.J. Biggers, but he isn't good enough to be a consistent starter either.

Releasing Wright would make the team worse. Much, much worse. Wright isn't a world-beater, but he is a versatile and competent cornerback -- and that's a lot more than can be said for the cornerbacks the Bucs currently have on the roster. Yes, his salary is too high, but it is possible to keep him and renegotiate his contract. Moreover, if they do release Wright they will have issues finding a replacement. The free agent class isn't particularly strong, with Brent Grimes, Cary Williams and Sean Smith representing the best options. The draft does have plenty of cornerbacks, but starting rookies at the cornerback position never really ends well.

So what do you think? Should the Bucs hang on to Eric Wright?

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/1/6/3839614/2013-nfl-free-agency-will-buccaneers-cut-eric-wright

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 07, 2013, 12:38:43 AM

"Best" being the relative being the measure of hot feces in a champagne glass or cold diarrhea in a dixie cup with this unit.

Doesn't matter, he's awful get rid of him/

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Heisenbuc

Rookie

#2 : January 07, 2013, 12:42:18 AM

We haven't gotten rid of him yet? Jake Plummer thinks Wright's Bucs career was successful.

Say my name...

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 07, 2013, 01:07:10 AM

Best CB isn't saying much considering our secondary.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 07, 2013, 02:13:45 AM

He would make a good #3 CB if we were to sign a couple studs.  But he doesn't seem like team player, they may not even offer him a low ball offer and just cut there losses.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

gone

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 07, 2013, 02:32:21 AM

Best CB isn't saying much considering our secondary.

As Dave likes to say, "tallest midget".

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 07, 2013, 04:18:14 AM

Biggers is worth more than Wright imo.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Wesmon

Second String

#7 : January 07, 2013, 05:06:09 AM

I'm actually willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on his on-field play. He looked good early up until his injury in the Giants game. But his stupidity getting suspended is a deal breaker. If you can't get it together enough to stay eligible to play then GTFO.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 07, 2013, 07:27:36 AM

"Best" being the relative being the measure of hot feces in a champagne glass or cold diarrhea in a dixie cup with this unit.

Doesn't matter, he's awful get rid of him/

Best CB for the Bucs=tallest midget

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#9 : January 07, 2013, 07:39:13 AM

He's the best CB on the team like Freeman is the best QB on the team.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 07, 2013, 10:24:44 AM

Biggers actually had an average season. He is worth a hell of a lot more than Wright. Wright was plain awful and was abused every time he saw the field.

That said, I hope both of them are gone.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 07, 2013, 07:13:36 PM

First of all, Wright isn't the best Cb on the team, it's Biggers. I would cut Wright. I never understood why we signed him to begin with.

As far as rookie CB's. Some of the best Cb's this year are rookies. Casey Hayward, Morris Clayborn, even Dennard had a good year. All three of those guys were solid, and I'm sure there are a few more I didn't catch.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#12 : January 07, 2013, 07:25:46 PM

Wright is better than Biggers.   But Biggers played well at the end of the year.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 07, 2013, 08:40:51 PM

Biggers actually had an average season. He is worth a hell of a lot more than Wright. Wright was plain awful and was abused every time he saw the field.

That said, I hope both of them are gone.

And I believe he was a 7th round pick IIRC.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should the Bucs move on from their best CB ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools