Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting Freeman Tweet - Trade to KC? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

El Diablo

Starter

#195 : January 09, 2013, 09:50:13 AM

We forgot to add Rodney Peete to those great USC QB's! ;)

oh you made me laugh good with that one.. at least he had a set of nuts. all the others are soft!

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#196 : January 09, 2013, 09:50:52 AM

Pat Haden, Paul McDonald. Five decades of meh.

In Verner We Trust

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#197 : January 09, 2013, 09:52:06 AM

We forgot to add Rodney Peete to those great USC QB's! ;)

Also Todd Marinovich and Sean Salisbury.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#198 : January 09, 2013, 09:53:56 AM

Freeman is still young, has alot of the necessary qb skills, including a cannon for an arm.....
Lost your credibility right there. A cannon arm isn't even in the top 5 for what a great QB needs.....and you are calling other people morons?
Whenever I hear the metaphor, I can't help but think back to the post on the old TBBB by a Saints fan about how they were going to draft Megaman to play quarterback for them because he had a *literal* cannon for an arm.  Good times.

spurzo

Second String

#199 : January 09, 2013, 02:27:52 PM

Really you don't need arm strength to play qb?  Pretty sure that's a major flaw holding Andy Dalton, Alex Smith and Ryan FItzpatrick back.  Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rothlisberger, Eli Manning all have strong arms and can throw 15 yard dig routes in tight windows, the qb's that can't have to have gimmicky offences built around them.  Luck, RG3 and Russell Wilson all have strong arms, sure helped their transition to the league.  The exception Old Peyton, he's extremely accurate and he knows defences better than most players he's going against.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#200 : January 09, 2013, 04:39:45 PM

Really you don't need arm strength to play qb?  Pretty sure that's a major flaw holding Andy Dalton, Alex Smith and Ryan FItzpatrick back.  Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rothlisberger, Eli Manning all have strong arms and can throw 15 yard dig routes in tight windows, the qb's that can't have to have gimmicky offences built around them.  Luck, RG3 and Russell Wilson all have strong arms, sure helped their transition to the league.  The exception Old Peyton, he's extremely accurate and he knows defences better than most players he's going against.

Personally, I think the whole arm strength issue is a bit overblown.  I think it's a good trait to have, but I don't think it's a must.  Meaning, if by arm strength and "cannon for an arm", you are referring to how far they can throw, then yes... it's irrelevant, as every NFL QB can throw the ball at least 40 yards down field.  If you need to throw a ball further than that, chances are, you're not going to complete the pass anyway (i.e. the Hail Mary play). If you are referring to how fast they can throw the ball, while it's nice to have a guy who can laser a pass into a tight spot, I don't think it's a "must" trait.  I do think it's a characteristic that can separate the "elite" from the "great"... the "great" from the "good", and so on... but I don't think it will stop you from being a great QB.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#201 : January 09, 2013, 04:54:11 PM

I didn't say you could be a noodle arm and still be great. You need adequate arm strength for sure, but being able to throw the ball faster and further than everyone else is not high on the list of what makes a great QB. Accuracy, leadership, ability to read defenses and manipulate them, ability to stay calm and go thru your progressions, and the ability to sense pressure & move around the pocket are ALL much more important than having a "cannon for an arm" or having a fast 40 time.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#202 : January 09, 2013, 05:12:19 PM

Drew Brees and the Old Peyton  have noodle arms and are still great. But they are the only exceptions I can really think of...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

jhop88

Hall of Famer

#203 : January 09, 2013, 05:20:38 PM

So who's gonna quarterback the team???  Alex Smith, Geno Smith, Barkley, Mike Vick? Not a chance.  There aren't many good qb's in the league.  Russell Wilson is the exception not the rule you can't magically find them.  There's no good qb's in this draft and if there was you've gotta trade two arms and two legs for them.  Peyton Manning in his fourth year (2001) threw for 4131 yds, 26tds and 23ints, Freeman this year (his fourth) 4035 yds, 27tds and 17ints.  In the end we can continue to argue on this site but the truth of the matter is he's not going anywhere.  He'll be the qb here next for sure and probably for many more after that, I'm fine with that.

You're off to a terrible start here.

"There aren't many good qb's in the league."  Really?

"There are no good qb's in this draft..." Really? This mindset continues to crack me up. You know this how exactly?

And you're seriously gonna try to build up Freeman by comparing him to Peyton Manning? Stellar!!!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#204 : January 09, 2013, 05:27:15 PM

Drew Brees and the Old Peyton  have noodle arms and are still great. But they are the only exceptions I can really think of...

Chad Pennington was a pretty good QB and had a weak arm. After surgery one his arm was really weak and he was still pretty good. After like the third surgery his arm was awful....and he was still a decent back up.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#205 : January 09, 2013, 05:30:11 PM

Dan Marino always came in last place in the long distance throw in the NFL QB challenge.   

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#206 : January 09, 2013, 05:36:04 PM

No QB has ever failed because their arm was too strong. :)

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#207 : January 09, 2013, 05:41:42 PM

Chad Pennington was a pretty good QB and had a weak arm. After surgery one his arm was really weak and he was still pretty good. After like the third surgery his arm was awful....and he was still a decent back up.

Yeah Pennington's arm was weak as hell.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#208 : January 09, 2013, 05:44:31 PM

Tim Tebow 2013

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#209 : January 09, 2013, 06:02:05 PM

Tim Tebow 2013

0-16 2013.

Page: 1 ... 12 13 14 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Interesting Freeman Tweet - Trade to KC? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools