Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2013 Tampa Bay Lightning « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#90 : March 24, 2013, 12:13:12 PM

This was coming after the way they've played the last month or so. They will be back. The young guys are the future. I'd bring up the Syracuse coach Cooper  to replace. He's gonna get his shot anyways. Why not let him coach the guys he already knows so well. Probably going to be what happens.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#91 : March 24, 2013, 12:49:25 PM

I think it's a good move. They've gone through multiple goalies and a slew of defenders under Guy and the results were the same, tons of goals given up. Offensively he seemed to be a pretty good coach, but in a quick game like hockey I can't help but think his offensive strategy put his defenders in poor position too often. The Lightning by skill alone have the offense of a top five team, lets hope the next coach shores up the D.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#92 : March 25, 2013, 06:58:43 PM

Jon Cooper is the new head coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning. The current coach of the Bolts' AHL affiliate, the Syracuse Crunch, will move to sunny Central Florida to replace outgoing coach Guy Boucher, according to a reports from CBC and TSN.

The Lightning are expected to announce the hiring of Cooper as early as Tuesday. The team hosts the Buffalo Sabres on Tuesday evening.

Cooper is in his third-year as a professional coach. In two seasons with the Norfolk Admirals, Cooper's teams recorded a 94-44-10-8 record, and a year ago the Admirals set an AHL record by winning 28 games in a row en route to a Calder Cup title. When the Lightning switched affiliates this past summer, Cooper and most of his championship squad moved to Syracuse where they've carried on the success, currently sitting atop the Eastern Conference.

Prior to joining the Admirals, Cooper led the USHL's Green Bay Gamblers to a league championship in 2010. He was a hot commodity during the 2012 offseason as several teams looked to fill their coaching vacancies, but ultimately Cooper decided to stay in the Lightning organization. Now, he'll get to stay, and Steve Yzerman hopes his championship pedigree follows Cooper to the NHL.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/3/25/4146590/jon-cooper-hired-head-coach-tampa-bay-lightning

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#93 : March 26, 2013, 09:13:04 AM

Ive got a good feeling about Cooper. This team wont get pushed around like Bouchers did. Pack like mentality with this guy. Cant wait to see how he does.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#94 : March 26, 2013, 10:56:54 AM

you Bolt fans are eternal optimists, aren't you?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#95 : March 26, 2013, 10:59:21 AM

you Bolt fans are eternal optimists, aren't you?

Is there any other way to be??

STERN11354

Starter

#96 : March 26, 2013, 11:15:07 AM

If he is in the same boat like Boucher was after 2 1/2 - 3 years, is he going to get his @$$ canned too?

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#97 : March 26, 2013, 11:32:33 AM

Ive got a good feeling about Cooper. This team wont get pushed around like Bouchers did. Pack like mentality with this guy. Cant wait to see how he does.

I agree, the only question is whether veterans buy in like the young guys he has coached.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#98 : March 26, 2013, 01:46:12 PM

It was reported the organization was training consistently with the Lightning - same offensive and defensive schemes and job responsibilities for positions.  While I am surely not an expert, the defense is odd to me, and there is a clear need for improved goaltending.  While these two areas of the game are hand in hand in forming the defense it sure looks to me like the lightning are in need of either new schemes or different personnel. 

That said - Gudas is a blast to watch
: March 26, 2013, 01:51:00 PM dbucfan

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#99 : March 26, 2013, 03:26:31 PM

It was reported the organization was training consistently with the Lightning - same offensive and defensive schemes and job responsibilities for positions.  While I am surely not an expert, the defense is odd to me, and there is a clear need for improved goaltending.  While these two areas of the game are hand in hand in forming the defense it sure looks to me like the lightning are in need of either new schemes or different personnel. 

Does the new coach use the same defensive scheme then?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#100 : March 26, 2013, 03:51:19 PM

That was the implication - but things change when results don't follow plans - so we will have to wait and see.
: March 26, 2013, 03:57:18 PM dbucfan

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#101 : March 26, 2013, 03:57:10 PM

That was the implication - but things change - so we will have to wait and see.

Thats not good, but I guess we will have to wait and see.  I guess its possible that he could reach players where the prior coach could not.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#102 : March 26, 2013, 04:00:07 PM

That was the implication - but things change - so we will have to wait and see.

Thats not good, but I guess we will have to wait and see.  I guess its possible that he could reach players where the prior coach could not.
As you likely know he was very successful with the younger players who have come up - and the established pros will be leaned upon - so if Cooper can get a better D and goalie result than Bouchet perhaps he can get it turned around.

Note the edit I made above...

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#103 : March 26, 2013, 04:23:05 PM

http://www2.tbo.com/list/news-columns/tampa-bay-lightning-already-familiar-with-cooper-b82469361z1

Expect to see a new Lightning approach in their defensive end as soon as Friday, ending what had apparently been a growing point of contention between Yzerman and Boucher.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#104 : March 26, 2013, 09:04:44 PM

2 periods down.   So far so good (going by the score, haven't watched much of the game)
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2013 Tampa Bay Lightning « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools