Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper believes the Bucs may have had the league's best draft class « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 08, 2013, 12:09:21 AM »

Kiper high on Bucs' draft class

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

If you listen to Mel Kiper Jr., who knows a thing or two about the NFL draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers might have had the league’s best rookie class.

In this Insider post , Kiper lists his All-Rookie team and the Bucs have three representatives. That shouldn’t come as a huge surprise. Safety Mark Barron, running back Doug Martin and linebacker Lavonte David all were starters from the beginning of the season.

Martin got better as the season went on and showed he’s an all-purpose back. David started a little faster than Martin, but also improved. Kiper compares David to Derrick Brooks and he’s not the first person to say that. David’s off to a great start, but he isn’t Brooks just yet.

Barron was Tampa Bay’s top draft pick. He didn’t have as many splash plays as Martin and David, but that probably is due to the nature of his position and the fact the Tampa Bay secondary struggled so much. But you can see that Barron has all sorts of potential and he could make a larger impact once the Bucs get their cornerback situation resolved.

Carolina middle linebacker Luke Kuechly was the only other NFC South rookie to make Kiper’s team. You know how I feel about Kuechly. I think he was the best defensive rookie in the NFC South and maybe in the NFL.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 08, 2013, 12:12:28 AM »

Harrison Smith is a baller. I watched him play for the first time the other day, and he is clearly the best S from this draft class. Barron should look better if we get an NFL level scheme next year....but this year, Smith is hands down better.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 08, 2013, 12:14:55 AM »

Kuechly or Harrison Smith both would have been better picks than Barron.

jhop88

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 08, 2013, 12:16:26 AM »

Harrison Smith is a baller. I watched him play for the first time the other day, and he is clearly the best S from this draft class. Barron should look better if we get an NFL level scheme next year....but this year, Smith is hands down better.

Smith had a much better season, but I was encouraged by what I saw from Barron the final 3 games. Hopefully w/an entire offseason and new/better CBs, he has a much better season.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

« #4 : January 08, 2013, 12:50:05 AM »

Hopefully, the best is yet to come for these first three picks.
If so, then WOW!

Turn the page.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 08, 2013, 12:50:32 AM »

Barron, Martin and David will be one of the best drafts in recent history for any team. Hear me now and believe me later. Having another successful draft this season is just as crucial as those picks were. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 08, 2013, 01:07:53 AM »

A really good defensive draft in April, and the team will be very much improved.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 08, 2013, 01:10:32 AM »

A really good defensive draft in April, and the team will be very much improved.

Also could use another free agent or two.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 08, 2013, 01:16:09 AM »

Agreed.  Hope that the team brings in a key FA or two as well.

Turn the page.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 08, 2013, 01:16:22 AM »

Also could use another free agent or two.

Absolutely, and looks like they are going to be looking,  with the contract restructures and all.

Tony Carter.....Greg Toler....Chris Houston......Are a few CB's that will be free agents.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 08, 2013, 06:36:54 AM »

Barron, Martin and David will be one of the best drafts in recent history for any team. Hear me now and believe me later.

Martin and David were great picks.   If the Bucs had taken Kuechly or Harrison Smith instead of Barron, that would have gone down as one of the great all time drafts.

Law-Buc

Starter
« #11 : January 08, 2013, 06:51:14 AM »

Tony Carter is a little small for the press cover style.  We should target FA corners such as Sean Smith or Mike Jenkins.  In the draft we should target physical corner like Xavier Rhodes and/or Ryan Logan.    Any combination will improve our secondary.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 08, 2013, 06:57:03 AM »

The Bucs could pick up just about anyone and it would improve the secondary.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 08, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »

Definitely not as good as Seattle's class, but to get 2 players in Martin and David who came in with immediate playmaking ability and should be long term playmakers, that's exciting.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 08, 2013, 11:21:32 AM »

It's the best one we've had since 95, but it still depends heavily on Barron improving.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper believes the Bucs may have had the league's best draft class « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools