Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper believes the Bucs may have had the league's best draft class « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 08, 2013, 01:54:15 PM

I cant disagree with what he says here. Even about Barron. He didnt say he had a great year, he says hes got potential to be really good and I cant disagree with that. He made some plays this year on a bad secondary. I think its way too early to grade Barron out. He should have a better year next season.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#16 : January 08, 2013, 01:55:15 PM

Kiper also said Ryan Leaf had more potential than Peyton Manning.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 08, 2013, 01:57:02 PM

Kiper is wrong a lot but so is everybody else. Difference is he works for ESPN as the draft analyzer and we dont.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 08, 2013, 02:00:11 PM

I cant disagree with what he says here. Even about Barron. He didnt say he had a great year, he says hes got potential to be really good and I cant disagree with that. He made some plays this year on a bad secondary. I think its way too early to grade Barron out. He should have a better year next season.

All PY does here is sugarcoat the selection of Barron. Notice he didn't need to say the word "potential" or say "he could" when referring to Martin or David. Those two are actually the ones who showed something in 2012. All Barron showed is exactly why you don't take a S that high who hasn't shown to have ever been an all around great Safety against the run and pass. Barron will probably max out at a Jermaine Phillips level. Definitely not terrible, but not worth a premium pick either.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 08, 2013, 02:03:47 PM

All PY does here is sugarcoat the selection of Barron. Notice he didn't need to say the word "potential" or say "he could" when referring to Martin or David. Those two are actually the ones who showed something in 2012. All Barron showed is exactly why you don't take a S that high who hasn't shown to have ever been an all around great Safety against the run and pass. Barron will probably max out at a Jermaine Phillips level. Definitely not terrible, but not worth a premium pick either.

He isnt not right though. I agree potential is an easy word to throw around but I still think Barron has potential to be a very good player for us. If he is that then I dont care where he was picked. I know some do but I dont. Draft is a crap shoot in my opinion. You get a good solid player out of it then your doing ok. Get a great player then your in the minority because that is rare.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 08, 2013, 02:50:23 PM

He isnt not right though. I agree potential is an easy word to throw around but I still think Barron has potential to be a very good player for us. If he is that then I dont care where he was picked. I know some do but I dont. Draft is a crap shoot in my opinion. You get a good solid player out of it then your doing ok. Get a great player then your in the minority because that is rare.

He shouldn't be sugarcoating things, so he is not right in that regard. Getting two players like we got was rare, so I'm happy about that. As it stands, however, I think Barron just has the potential to be a solid player. It just bugs me that we didn't get the best value for our selection. Harrison Smith was selected well after Barron and played much better this year. My hope for Barron at this point is that he isn't a weakness, because he will probably never be a very good player in coverage.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 08, 2013, 02:55:58 PM

Well see. Its still early for him. I can see why it would bug a lot of people though. When you draft that high, you usually want to make the best of it. It doesnt look like they did this year, which is a shame.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 08, 2013, 08:48:28 PM

We should of taken MoMo over Barron.  Oh wait..... that is another thread.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 08, 2013, 09:16:30 PM

Bottom line is David and Martin played like solid 1st round draft picks, Barron somewhat less so overall. It's the sum of the 3 the article is talking to, not the individual players. Given the Vikings had a far better pass rush and CB play this year, it's not surprising their S looked better than Barron much of the season. Hopefully we get the pieces next seaon to make our D a much more formidable unit...

Wesmon

Second String

#24 : January 08, 2013, 09:25:58 PM

Bottom line is David and Martin played like solid 1st round draft picks, Barron somewhat less so overall. It's the sum of the 3 the article is talking to, not the individual players. Given the Vikings had a far better pass rush and CB play this year, it's not surprising their S looked better than Barron much of the season. Hopefully we get the pieces next seaon to make our D a much more formidable unit...

I'd go with Seattle's draft as the best, especially considering the so-called "experts" questioned their picks in the first few rounds.  Irvin, Wagner and Wilson all look to be perennial pro-bowlers. The arm-chair draft gurus have given Seattle horrible grades on their last couple drafts, but in reality that team has stocked their roster and made themselves into a contender for the next several years.

But with Barron I wouldn't give up on him yet. Given the position he was put in as a rookie in this scheme, there was gonna be a learning curve. Still think the guy is gonna be a stud.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 08, 2013, 09:40:45 PM

I'd go with Seattle's draft as the best, especially considering the so-called "experts" questioned their picks in the first few rounds.  Irvin, Wagner and Wilson all look to be perennial pro-bowlers. The arm-chair draft gurus have given Seattle horrible grades on their last couple drafts, but in reality that team has stocked their roster and made themselves into a contender for the next several years.

But with Barron I wouldn't give up on him yet. Given the position he was put in as a rookie in this scheme, there was gonna be a learning curve. Still think the guy is gonna be a stud.

Agree, a friend of mine is a big Seachicken fan, and they have put together a nice team.  And Pete Carrol has got it right  in his 3rd attempt  at being an NFL HC.

I like them against the Falcons, their kicker got hurt Sunday, so the signed Ryan Longwell today.

Should be a good game, Seattle getting one point.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Wesmon

Second String

#26 : January 08, 2013, 09:56:14 PM

Agree, a friend of mine is a big Seachicken fan, and they have put together a nice team.  And Pete Carrol has got it right  in his 3rd attempt  at being an NFL HC.

I like them against the Falcons, their kicker got hurt Sunday, so the signed Ryan Longwell today.

I also think the Seahawks should win. Have to admit though that I have been rooting for em since we missed the playoffs, just cause I like the team. Sending Mike Smith and company to the off-season again with no playoff wins would just be icing on the cake.

gone

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 08, 2013, 10:00:15 PM

I also think the Seahawks should win. Have to admit though that I have been rooting for em since we missed the playoffs, just cause I like the team. Sending Mike Smith and company to the off-season again with no playoff wins would just be icing on the cake.

Falcon tears make me smile

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 08, 2013, 10:02:55 PM

Going against the Seahawks.....Clemons is gone, knee.........Another long travel game again........and they  are kicking off at 10am Seattle time.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 08, 2013, 10:46:12 PM

Good point. Seatle is a team I tend to overlook; I should know better after they skinned Griffin and co., and doing it in Washington was even more impressive.
    And add to your list Turbin, their b/u RB who had a productive rookie year too. Michael Smith's college competition...
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper believes the Bucs may have had the league's best draft class « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools