Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FINDING FREEMAN'S COMPETITION IN 2013 « previous next »
Page: 1 2

gone

Hall of Famer
#15 : January 08, 2013, 06:06:34 PM

If the names in this article are our only options, I'll suffer through another year of Freeman. Why no mention of Flynn, Alex Smith, or Mallet? I'm not saying they are who I want, just curious why there was no mention.

It really reads more like an agenda or "propaganda" piece than an attempt at analysis. 

PewterReportMC

Hall of Famer
#16 : January 08, 2013, 06:45:09 PM

ewter Report takes a look at a weak free agent class and a few other possibilities in this article.

Holy crap - there's some sorry football players on your list MC. I'm not seeing a lot of competition for the Freeman there.  If we're subjected to watching those QBs play, then I'm headed to a swan-dive off the Sunshine Skyyway next season.

And this is the best of a sorry list.

PewterReportMC

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 08, 2013, 06:48:12 PM

If the names in this article are our only options, I'll suffer through another year of Freeman. Why no mention of Flynn, Alex Smith, or Mallet? I'm not saying they are who I want, just curious why there was no mention.

Uhhhh maybe because none are free agents? Why would we list them? If that is the case why not write an article about the Bucs signing Calvin Johnson, Jimmy Graham and Tom Brady.

It really reads more like an agenda or "propaganda" piece than an attempt at analysis.
Doc are you kidding? Please tell me this is April 1 and I'm missing something here.

PewterReportMC

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 08, 2013, 06:50:20 PM

I'm all for bringing in Alex Smith, as much as people might hate the guy.

I'm all for bringing in Peyton Manning also, but he isn't a free agent. At what cost do you bring in Alex Smith WHO was worse than Freeman in his first four seasons?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 08, 2013, 07:12:09 PM

I'm all for bringing in Peyton Manning also, but he isn't a free agent. At what cost do you bring in Alex Smith WHO was worse than Freeman in his first four seasons?
Smith's contract averages $7M per season. It's pretty likelyhe'll be cut because of that. 

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 08, 2013, 08:05:44 PM

Yes, there is plenty of speculation that Alex Smith will get cut because of his cap #.

Is there an article coming on QBs that could be drafted, or "realistic" acquisitions that can be made?

If this is the only article to be put out for "Freeman's competition", then it would feel like an article to attempt to quell those who are dissatisfied with Freeman's play.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 08, 2013, 09:12:04 PM

finding freeman's competition shouldnt be a top priority or even one of the top.  There are several other holes to fill before we get to finding a clipboard holder that can light a fire under Josh.  We need:

1: 2 Corners:  Spend FA money on one and draft the other in the first 2 rds
2: Upgrade the pass rush.  I like Bowers and Clayborn but you can't bank on them.  I'd bring in a FA pass rusher here.
3: Legit slot WR.  Underwood should be a #4 or #5 guy at best. I love Tavon Austin.
4: #2 RB:  Dougie will have a short career at this pace and LGB is deep in the dog house.
5:  TE:  we need more athleticism and YAC here.  DC is a safety valve/check down type at this point in his career.  Dustin Keller please.
6: Re-sign Roy Miller.  Underrated player was a big factor in our run defense this year.  BTW, I like Bennett too but i think someone will overpay for him and I dont want that to be us.

all of these I'd address before #2 QB.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 08, 2013, 09:17:29 PM

finding freeman's competition shouldnt be a top priority or even one of the top.  There are several other holes to fill before we get to finding a clipboard holder that can light a fire under Josh.  We need:

2: Upgrade the pass rush.  I like Bowers and Clayborn but you can't bank on them.  I'd bring in a FA pass rusher here.
3: Legit slot WR.  Underwood should be a #4 or #5 guy at best. I love Tavon Austin.
4: #2 RB:  Dougie will have a short career at this pace and LGB is deep in the dog house.
5:  TE:  we need more athleticism and YAC here.  DC is a safety valve/check down type at this point in his career.  Dustin Keller please.
6: Re-sign Roy Miller.  Underrated player was a big factor in our run defense this year.  BTW, I like Bennett too but i think someone will overpay for him and I dont want that to be us.

I can agree with this. Might as well solidify the team, and look for the QB replacement in next years much richer QB draft class.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 08, 2013, 09:22:15 PM

I wouldn't mind Smith brought in to compete with Freeman if he were cut but the niners.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 08, 2013, 10:38:42 PM

I wouldn't mind Smith brought in to compete with Freeman if he were cut but the niners.

I'm sure you wouldn't, but if he is cut, do you really think he will want to come here to compete with Freeman when other teams would hand him the starting spot?

Draft Aaron Donald

gone

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 08, 2013, 10:58:18 PM

I can agree with this. Might as well solidify the team, and look for the QB replacement in next years much richer QB draft class.

Might as well wait forever then. The team is good enough that we're not going to be picking in the top three any time soon, and that is apparently the only spot you could ever possibly find a good QB according to people around here.

Do your homework and take a chance now. 

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 09, 2013, 02:08:56 AM

Smith's contract averages $7M per season. It's pretty likelyhe'll be cut because of that.
This is my assumption.

Giving the guy $3-4m/year won't hurt anymore than paying Dan Orlovsky 2.5m (who should be cut if we do manage to bring in Smith).

As for Smith being "worse" (I assume you're talking statistically, Mark), well...I think Freeman has done a good job of proving stats aren't everything.
: January 09, 2013, 02:11:32 AM BFT+C

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 09, 2013, 02:41:02 AM

Might as well wait forever then. The team is good enough that we're not going to be picking in the top three any time soon, and that is apparently the only spot you could ever possibly find a good QB according to people around here.

Do your homework and take a chance now.

...we're only a few wins above being the third overall. Just saying.

And there are other ways to get that top pick besides just being bad. Trading freeman for KC's 2014,s first, trade tampa's first, 2nd, and 3rd for a high first, or trade our 2015 first and 2014 first to bump up on the 2014 draft pick.

NOT that that should be done this off season. Point is, it could be done when the QB situation is more clear in college in 2014, regardless of wins-losses. Honestly, I think they should be already storing up for that draft class, despite Freeman's future success or floundering.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 09, 2013, 07:30:41 AM

This is my assumption.

Giving the guy $3-4m/year won't hurt anymore than paying Dan Orlovsky 2.5m (who should be cut if we do manage to bring in Smith).

As for Smith being "worse" (I assume you're talking statistically, Mark), well...I think Freeman has done a good job of proving stats aren't everything.

A favorable stat sheet seems to be a nice consolation prize for some.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#29 : January 09, 2013, 08:08:07 AM

Smith isn't going to be cut. You guys are trippin. There are like 8 or 9 teams that are desperate for a QB. The 49ers will retain him long enough to trade him to a desperate team. Cutting him and getting nothing in return would be incredibly stupid, and the 49ers are not stupid.

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FINDING FREEMAN'S COMPETITION IN 2013 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools