Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Washington Redskins name change? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Wesmon

Second String

« #45 : January 09, 2013, 09:56:09 PM »

what name change are they thinking of?     forskins?
 I for one as being irish am offended by the mascot of notre dame.....if ever there was a stereotype that was in need of a public relations makeover. .....but hay...who really f'n cares

Notre Dame really does need to change their name. The team should be called the Drunken Irish.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #46 : January 09, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »

Nobody cares if you are offended and nobody even considers Redskins racist. Its become so desensitized that nobody even thinks it in a negative light.

How can you make that statement?

-------------------------------------------------------

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #47 : January 09, 2013, 11:22:25 PM »

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Report-DC-mayor-wants-Redskins-to-consider-name-change.html

Washington D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray would like the Redskins to considering changing their name, especially if the team ever wants to consider relocating back into the city limits.

According to the Washington Post, Gray said there would at least need to be discussion of a name change if the club were to consider a move from FedEx Field in Landover, Md., back into D.C.

Owner Daniel Snyder has never shown any inclination to considering a name change since purchasing the club from the estate of the late Jack Kent Cooke. The name has been criticized for decades.

“I think that if they get serious with the team coming back to Washington, there’s no doubt there’s going to have to be a discussion about that,” Gray said, according to the report. “And of course the team is going to have to work with us around that issue.

“I think it has become a lightning rod, and I would be love to be able to sit down with the team … and see if a change should be made. There’s a precedent for this, and I think there needs to be a dispassionate discussion about this, and do the right thing.”

The Washington Bullets changed their name to the Wizards. Of course, they’ve been one of the laughingstocks of the NBA since changing names and really before that.

It’s probably not going to be a point, as least as far as D.C. is concerned, unless Snyder ever gets the itch to move back to D.C. Who knows how money would motivate him at that point.

What say you? Persoanlly I think it should have been changed long ago. I think it's disrespectful and racist. Absolutely no different than having a team called honkies, wetbaks, chingks ect....Redskin was racist slur used to describe Native Americans by the people that treated them as animals and killed them. There is no reason they couldn't keep the logo and theme but use a less offensive native American term.
What say you?  I say the mayor of DC has about a million more important issues to tackle before arriving at the name of a football team.  A football team's name offends folks - a name that goes back to the 1930's.  To others who are concerned - take care of the important things in your life before becoming too concerned.  Like one's blue socks getting mixed into the brown and black socks...

My wife, who has American Indian heritage opines I might have given the issue a bit too  much import.  Now if we were speaking about the poor deals the American Indians were given by politicians there is a lot more to consider.  Seems the mismatched socks carry far more importance...
« : January 09, 2013, 11:37:42 PM dbucfan »

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

« #48 : January 09, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »

Living in Alaska, I work with, and am friends and neighbors with ALOT of Native Americans.  Fortunately in Alaska, the natives got a much better shake when dealing with the US.  The nation had actually learned from past transgressions, and the world was a different place, thankfully.  The Native Claims Settlement Act of 1972 was in no way perfect, nor can it ever make up for the genocide which was perpetrated by the United States government against native peoples.

Whether the word Redskin carries the same power as other racial epithets is not the point, it is insensitive.  If the city of DC wants to put conditions on moving a team into their city, that is within their right.  No one is going to force Snyder to make a move.  I applaud DC for saying, "not in our city". If such a name change happened, I would hope it would be something which celebrated native culture.   

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #49 : January 09, 2013, 11:39:20 PM »

Heisenbuc

Rookie

« #50 : January 10, 2013, 12:38:21 AM »

Relax JD.  I don't think anyone is talking directly to you, I know I wasn't.  It just seems to me the whole politically correct thing has gone way overboard and people need to lighten up.  After all what about us pirates out here, should we be offended by the Buccaneers logo?

Say my name...

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Washington Redskins name change? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools