Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Options for corner. « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#60 : January 11, 2013, 08:15:21 PM

Like how Milliner looks for the ball. That negates a lot of penalities.

If he is still on the board by 9 in the first round, I would be fine with trading up with Clev to take him.

It sure seems like Tenn will take Milliner at #10 if he is available.

If we had not traded up last year, we would not have Martin or David.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#61 : January 11, 2013, 11:20:53 PM

I'm not saying we should trade up for anyone, but we do have that magical extra 4th round pick. Dom did a lot with one 4th round pick last year. Got us Martin and David. Still impresses me what he did.

Draft Aaron Donald

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#62 : January 11, 2013, 11:22:12 PM

I have no problem trading up if it only cost a 4th.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#63 : January 12, 2013, 01:39:49 AM

I'm not saying we should trade up for anyone, but we do have that magical extra 4th round pick. Dom did a lot with one 4th round pick last year. Got us Martin and David. Still impresses me what he did.

Dom always has some trick up his sleeve come draft day.

Idk if he will double up on whatever corners drop to him and keep the fourth, or do some trading up but buy up a free agent.

DonkeyHunter

Pro Bowler

#64 : January 12, 2013, 04:14:22 AM

This

big_JLB

Starter

#65 : January 12, 2013, 01:11:09 PM

really think there are a couple different ways dom can go about fixing the CB spot. there are a lot of different options in FA and i think he's going to sign at least 2. i would like to see them draft a #1 CB rather than sign one as a free agent. i'm just not sure about giving a big deal to quentin jammer or brent grimes. IMO sean smith isn't getting out of miami, they'll tag him if they have to. long on the other hand...not so sure he stays, but thats for another thread. DRC would be a "name" move, and i think philly will keep him as he's the best CB on the roster. leodis mckelvin actually wouldn't be a bad option and would help improve the return game (averaged 28.3 yards on kickoff returns and 18.7 yards on punt returns) as well

that being said, i think they'll target some "second-teir" CB's and hopefully sign two of the trio of derek cox, cary williams and keenan lewis. unfortunately, i dont see cox getting out of jacksonville. other options along those lines that i think they might consider include greg toler (80 tackles for arizona in 2011) and jerraud powers. they could also sign one of those second-teir players and add a vet like rashean mathis or kelvin hayden and draft a couple CB's (which i think they're going to do regardless)

in the draft i think it will end up being one CB picked high and one picked in the mid rounds. that could obviously change with FA, but IMO they'll try to draft a #1, and i hope that will xavier rhodes. i wouldn't mind jonthan banks, but rhodes is so physical, and thats perfect for their defensive scheme. milliner is probably going to be available at 13 as well, but between the three of them i hope its rhodes. if another CB gets taken in rounds 3-5 i'm hoping for blidi wreh-wilson (uconn) or marcus trufant (washington) if its in round 3, but if they wait (which IMO is the better option) im a big fan of leon mcfadden from SD state or adrian bushell from louisville, but mcfadden especially with one of the 4th round picks.

the high+mid approach IMO is a good one, however if a defensive lineman is available that they deem too good to pass up is sitting there at #13 then players like logan ryan, will davis, justin poyer or even david amerson are all solid options in the second and then dom could take another one in the 3rd or with one of the 4th rounders. but the player that i really like is will davis from utah state. IMO a combination of will davis/leon mcfadden, justin poyer/marcus trufant or logan ryan/blidi wreh-wilson is just as good as taking a CB in the first and one in the 4th, and it allows for an impact DE or quality DT to be added to the d-line

in fact, if dom signed keenan lewis and greg toler as FA's and then drafted xavier rhodes or will davis in the 1st or 2nd as well as leon mcfadden in the 4th i think it would go a long way in fixing the secondary
: January 12, 2013, 01:36:33 PM big_jlb

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#66 : January 12, 2013, 02:16:42 PM

Big j, I think what you posted was very interesting, but there is no doubt they have to bring in stars of the position.

The "underrated guys" are what got Tampa in the trouble they've been in, and they need any advantage in ticket sales. Signing guys like Cro and Grimes brings in a few more seats, than say, more no-names. Granted, if it works out anyway, they will be stars, but so far, the Bucs have tried on so many undrafted players/so-called underrated the fanbase can't understand it anymore.

Even if it's just a draft pick, not only does it need to be a good one, but whoever comes in has to bring some star power with them. Depending on barber's choice on retirement, even more so.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#67 : January 12, 2013, 02:20:22 PM

Big j, I think what you posted was very interesting, but there is no doubt they have to bring in stars of the position.

The "underrated guys" are what got Tampa in the trouble they've been in, and they need any advantage in ticket sales. Signing guys like Cro and Grimes brings in a few more seats, than say, more no-names. Granted, if it works out anyway, they will be stars, but so far, the Bucs have tried on so many undrafted players/so-called underrated the fanbase can't understand it anymore.

Even if it's just a draft pick, not only does it need to be a good one, but whoever comes in has to bring some star power with them. Depending on barber's choice on retirement, even more so.

If they signed Cro, then there would be no more blackouts if all his kids made it to every game.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#68 : January 12, 2013, 02:27:26 PM

LOL! Too funny Chace.

I think you have your Cromarties mixed up though.

Draft Aaron Donald

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#69 : January 12, 2013, 02:33:56 PM

Brent Grimes
Sean Smith
Aqib Talib
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Sam Shields
Marcus Trufant
Tracy Porter
Kyle Arrington
Chris Carr
Nate Clements
Drayton Florence
Captain Munenrlyn
Cedric Griffin
Quentin Jammer
Mike Jenkins
Adam Jones
Rashean Mathis
Leodis McKelvin
Cary Williams
Eric Wright (I hope to god he is anyways!)

Just like DT, there are an unusual amount of good CBs in free agency this year. I'm not saying I would want all of these guys, but they are all considered good or above average. With nearly $50M in cap space, I don't think we'll have a problem signing a couple good CBs.

Draft Aaron Donald

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#70 : January 12, 2013, 02:36:08 PM

LOL! Too funny Chace.

I think you have your Cromarties mixed up though.

I was speaking of Antonio. I have heard speculation that he will not be a Jet next year since he is due a roster bonus of $2.3mil that would bump him up to about $10.8mil this year and the Jets are in somewhat of a cap hell....but yea...benchwarmer most likely was referring to DRC.
: January 12, 2013, 02:40:58 PM chace1986

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#71 : January 12, 2013, 02:49:16 PM

When it comes to any Cromartie, I simply 

Draft Aaron Donald

big_JLB

Starter

#72 : January 12, 2013, 03:14:25 PM

That's where teams get in trouble, bringing in a name to appease the fans. Just bring in quality players. If you want a star you have to get lucky or draft one yourself. By "second tier" players I'm talking about players that can come in and be solid #2's and 3's and not demand big money. Keenan Lewis and Greg Toler were both 4th round picks and I think if they were brought in along with a high draft pick like Rhodes in the 1st or Will Davis in the 2nd and a guy like Leon McFadden in the 4th the secondary would be in decent shape:

Xavier Rhodes/Will Davis
Keenan Lewis
Greg Toler
Leon McFadden
E.J. Biggers
Leonard Johnson
LeQuan Lewis/Danny Gorrer/Myron Lewis

That being said, if I had to chose someone to come in and be the #1 I would pick Quentin Jammer because he's been solid for 10 years now and would be a good vet signing if the money isn't crazy. I also wouldn't mind Grimes if only for the fact that he couldn't pwn Freeman anymore.

Signing Jammer would also allow them to try and get some d-line help (hello Dion Jordan) in the 1st while still getting someone like Will Davis or Logan Ryan in the 2nd
: January 12, 2013, 03:35:20 PM big_jlb

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#73 : January 12, 2013, 04:54:36 PM

I hear you loud and clear. Obviously some teams buy out big name guys, and it doesn't pan out. A good example of that is the eagles secondary. On paper, they were monsters. On the field it didn't work out that way.

However, the bucs on the other hand need whatever weapons they can glean from this ironic timing. Personally, I don't see why they cannot bring in most of these guys AND either Grimes, Cro, or jammer.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#74 : January 12, 2013, 05:22:00 PM

The longer this conversation goes on, the stronger the field of FA corners appears to me.  I wonder if Dom and S saw this coming when they decided to say buh-bye to Talib?
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Options for corner. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools