Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are the Bucs really going to run the same defense next year? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

El Diablo

Starter

: January 09, 2013, 09:48:22 AM

I haven't heard anything about changes to our defense yet and that really scares me. I know it would have been better with some real NFL corners and a better pass rush but I was expecting some sort of change after the way we got torched this year.  I mean the only reason our D wasn't on the field much is because teams were scoring so fast. I am not one of the Schiano haters but he can't expect us to put up 35 every game to win.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 09, 2013, 09:59:47 AM

The scheme works on paper. The players have to do a better job executing it.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 09, 2013, 10:04:10 AM

We did a decent job of shutting down one of the best passing offense in football that has 2 pro bowl level receivers and the best TE to ever play the game. That with a set of corners that will mostly not be active next year. I think the scheme is okay, the corners just have to continue to turn and try to make a play on the ball. Our LBers getting better in coverage over the middle will help a significant amount. We all forget about that but David was excellent in pass defense towards the end of the year.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 09, 2013, 10:06:11 AM

That scheme may have worked on paper in college(and even then he never won the big east).  It didn't work with wright and talon.  And schiano said he was surprised at how quick pro qbs were.  Not college.  That scheme is garbage.

El Diablo

Starter

#4 : January 09, 2013, 10:10:19 AM

Our guys were not in postion to make plays. The scheme isn't going to work against a good qb, maybe just the scrubs. I don't count the last game against the Falcons, they were just looking forward to the playoffs.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 09, 2013, 10:12:40 AM

guys, dont forget how stubborn and egomaniacal schiano is.  no way do we change a thing, nor should we want to.  the scheme works, it was proven time and time again at rutgers.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 09, 2013, 10:12:49 AM

We did a decent job of shutting down one of the best passing offense in football that has 2 pro bowl level receivers and the best TE to ever play the game. That with a set of corners that will mostly not be active next year. I think the scheme is okay, the corners just have to continue to turn and try to make a play on the ball. Our LBers getting better in coverage over the middle will help a significant amount. We all forget about that but David was excellent in pass defense towards the end of the year.

Glad week 17 was such a great consolation prize for you. Guess the previous 15 games can be thrown out as evidence.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the Bucs ran a variation of the Tampa 2 in that ATL game, which is something that they did not run too much of throughout much of the season. Will have to rewatch and verify that.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 09, 2013, 10:13:47 AM

And didn't we play a lot of zone as well.  Basing the success or failure off of one game is ridiculous.  Atl was not into that game at all.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 09, 2013, 10:15:21 AM

Atl was not into that game at all.

this is one thing we can agree on.  who really thinks ATL wanted to win when they didnt even play matt ryan, tony G, julio, and roddy?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 09, 2013, 10:18:11 AM

I don't count the last game against the Falcons, they were just looking forward to the playoffs.

They were absolutely looking ahead. The Bucs were a lot more desperate to get that win, to try and not end the year with a loss. If the Falcons would have had something to play for, they would have most likely won that game.

Bucs homers, though, will have a great big trophy case set up in their heads for that game as one of the great recent Bucs accomplishments.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 09, 2013, 10:18:18 AM

Besides, I'm pretty sure the Bucs ran a variation of the Tampa 2 in that ATL game,

is that even possible?  ive read that schiano wont adjust his defense and its all on the players inadequacies.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 09, 2013, 10:18:27 AM

The line stunts and blitzes are ran all year just didn't work.. Partly by scheme and partly by players. We don't have pass rushers at LB and all the stinks and loops kill the quickness advantages of our down 4. I'd be scads happier to see Lovie Smith of Dave Wannestadt or Mike Zimmerman showing up ( obviously none of them will just using names and styles of play people know) for our personnel rather than what we've got.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 09, 2013, 10:56:29 AM

The scheme blows.  Hopefully we move on.  However based on Schiano's comments, he thinks the scheme is fine and the problem is talent.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 09, 2013, 10:56:57 AM

The line stunts and blitzes are ran all year just didn't work.. Partly by scheme and partly by players. We don't have pass rushers at LB and all the stinks and loops kill the quickness advantages of our down 4. I'd be scads happier to see Lovie Smith of Dave Wannestadt or Mike Zimmerman showing up ( obviously none of them will just using names and styles of play people know) for our personnel rather than what we've got.

I agree with this for the most part, although I think Lavonte David showed to be our only pass rusher who could get quick pressure when they did use him to blitz. D-Line stunts didn't work at all.

I'm OK if they give Sheridan another year, but with D-Line coaches like Marinelli and Washburn out there, there is really no excuse not to improve the coaching at that position group which is an obvious issue.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 09, 2013, 11:12:25 AM

I think right now the coaches think the scheme is fine. So I wouldnt expect many changes there.

They were best team in the league against the run. So they think that's fine.

I think that they think the problem is lack of talent in the secondary.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are the Bucs really going to run the same defense next year? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools