Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Washington Redskins name change? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« : January 09, 2013, 05:21:38 PM »

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Report-DC-mayor-wants-Redskins-to-consider-name-change.html

Washington D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray would like the Redskins to considering changing their name, especially if the team ever wants to consider relocating back into the city limits.

According to the Washington Post, Gray said there would at least need to be discussion of a name change if the club were to consider a move from FedEx Field in Landover, Md., back into D.C.

Owner Daniel Snyder has never shown any inclination to considering a name change since purchasing the club from the estate of the late Jack Kent Cooke. The name has been criticized for decades.

“I think that if they get serious with the team coming back to Washington, there’s no doubt there’s going to have to be a discussion about that,” Gray said, according to the report. “And of course the team is going to have to work with us around that issue.

“I think it has become a lightning rod, and I would be love to be able to sit down with the team … and see if a change should be made. There’s a precedent for this, and I think there needs to be a dispassionate discussion about this, and do the right thing.”

The Washington Bullets changed their name to the Wizards. Of course, they’ve been one of the laughingstocks of the NBA since changing names and really before that.

It’s probably not going to be a point, as least as far as D.C. is concerned, unless Snyder ever gets the itch to move back to D.C. Who knows how money would motivate him at that point.

What say you? Persoanlly I think it should have been changed long ago. I think it's disrespectful and racist. Absolutely no different than having a team called honkies, wetbaks, chingks ect....Redskin was racist slur used to describe Native Americans by the people that treated them as animals and killed them. There is no reason they couldn't keep the logo and theme but use a less offensive native American term.
« : January 09, 2013, 05:24:38 PM JDouble »

Draft Aaron Donald

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 09, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »

No way should they change that name.   That's one of the best names in all of sports.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #2 : January 09, 2013, 05:29:32 PM »

I knew you'd be first....and I knew your stance before you posted.

Draft Aaron Donald

tmac87

Starter
« #3 : January 09, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »

No way should they change that name.   That's one of the best names in all of sports.

I lol'd... He's such an ass. Of course the name should be changed. I wouldn't be too happy with a team called the Brownskins... Agreed about the logo. I think it's fearsome and cool, but the name's gotta go.

Even if you get off my island, Goldson and Barron are right there. You want to go across the middle and get tattooed, it is what it is. - Revis Isle

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

« #4 : January 09, 2013, 05:34:29 PM »

I knew you'd be first....and I knew your stance before you posted.
+1

Formerly known as Revis Islander

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 09, 2013, 05:36:44 PM »

I wouldn't be too happy with a team called the Brownskins...

You must not have heard about the team in Cleveland.

lolTampa

Hall of Famer
« #6 : January 09, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »

As a Native American I am offended 0% by that name nor am I offended by logo. Get over yourselves if you are offended. Grow up and man up. Besides the name is badass.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #7 : January 09, 2013, 05:42:20 PM »

I wouldn't be too happy with a team called the Brownskins...

You must not have heard about the team in Cleveland.
The cavaliers? What about them?

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 09, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »

Cherokee and Osage; I find it offensive, but not nearly as offensive as the Cleveland Indians logo.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

pancake block

Starter

« #9 : January 09, 2013, 05:51:30 PM »

what name change are they thinking of?     forskins?
 I for one as being irish am offended by the mascot of notre dame.....if ever there was a stereotype that was in need of a public relations makeover. .....but hay...who really f'n cares

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

« #10 : January 09, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »

As a Native American I could care less, and the only people making this news are only doing so for their own gains. 

Iroquois

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #11 : January 09, 2013, 05:54:33 PM »

As a Native American I am offended 0% by that name nor am I offended by logo. Get over yourselves if you are offended. Grow up and man up. Besides the name is badass.
May be the best post I've ever seen on this site.  Why does everything have to be about racism?

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 09, 2013, 06:01:44 PM »

I don't think anyone here were the ones who brought it up. Also, there are other minority groups that try to play the race card like it makes them immune to criticism or something. Asking that you don't use racial caricatures or slurs to represent a sports team doesn't seem out of line to me.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #13 : January 09, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »

One, I didn't bring it up. Just reposting national news.

Two, if you are Native American and aren't bothered...that's fine, but it's still a racial slur being used as a sports franchise name and it is wrong.

Three, claiming it's "badass" and then telling me to grow up is epic irony.

Draft Aaron Donald

RiotHeart

Starter

« #14 : January 09, 2013, 06:28:07 PM »

I wouldn't be offended if I was called a whiteskin... Insecurities of people.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Washington Redskins name change? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools