Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Washington Redskins name change? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#15 : January 09, 2013, 06:32:36 PM

Relax JD.  I don't think anyone is talking directly to you, I know I wasn't.  It just seems to me the whole politically correct thing has gone way overboard and people need to lighten up.  After all what about us pirates out here, should we be offended by the Buccaneers logo?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 09, 2013, 06:35:49 PM

The way that our society becoming more and more PC and ultra-sensitive, I have little doubt that it will be changed soon.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 09, 2013, 06:40:06 PM

Relax JD.  I don't think anyone is talking directly to you, I know I wasn't.  It just seems to me the whole politically correct thing has gone way overboard and people need to lighten up.  After all what about us pirates out here, should we be offended by the Buccaneers logo?

I'm the least PC person you'll ever meet. I can't stand the PC cry babies and what it's doing to our society....but I have never believed the Redskin name was appropriate and have always felt it should be changed. It's not about being PC to me, it's about not using a known racial slur as the name of your sports franchise. It's just ridiculous to me. The "Chiefs" is a perfect example of how they could still keep the native American theme, but not use a hateful slur.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#18 : January 09, 2013, 06:42:05 PM

Then we'll go with the Washington Warriors.  Hows that?

pewterblood

Second String

#19 : January 09, 2013, 06:43:07 PM

I think they should keep it; it's a cool name. I sometimes can't stand political correctness.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 09, 2013, 06:46:58 PM

I think that many people, including many posters in this thread, fail to realize that Redskin was used for Indians as the N word was used for Africans. People are so use to hearing it as a sports team that the true origin and meaning doesn't even register for most folks....but I'm sure if you replace Redskin with the appropriate racial slur, then anyone would see it as ridiculously offensive and irresponsible.

pewterblood

Second String

#21 : January 09, 2013, 06:53:37 PM

I think that many people, including many posters in this thread, fail to realize that Redskin was used for Indians as the N word was used for Africans. People are so use to hearing it as a sports team that the true origin and meaning doesn't even register for most folks....but I'm sure if you replace Redskin with the appropriate racial slur, then anyone would see it as ridiculously offensive and irresponsible.

If that's the case it seems rather dumb to downgrade your own team by calling them by a racial slur, especially when none of them are Native American.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#22 : January 09, 2013, 07:00:22 PM

I wouldn't be offended if I was called a whiteskin... Insecurities of people.

If there was a team called the Whiteskins, they would likely be a marketing success.   I"m white and I know I wouldn't be offended by it in any way.    Or call them the "Palefaces" like the Indians used to call us.   Big deal.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 09, 2013, 07:01:43 PM

Whiteskins was never a racial slur. It's just a color and skin put together to form a stupid argument.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 09, 2013, 07:02:31 PM

Whiteskins was never a racial slur. It's just a color and skin put together to form a stupid argument.

Paleface was a racial slur.   Doesn't offend me in any way.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#25 : January 09, 2013, 07:04:43 PM

I had a conversation about this topic with a former co-worker of mine about a year ago.  He is native american and is very involved with preserving the culture of his ancestors.  He is not a sports fan, but I asked him about the Redskins name.  He said that he did find it offensive, but didn't think it would change because of the lack of knowledge in today's society of what was actually done to their culture.  What we learned in history class doesn't even begin to describe what happened to Native Americans since the Europeans discovered the "New World".  He is someone I have a lot of respect for, and if he says he's offended, that's enough for me.  Change it.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 09, 2013, 07:11:24 PM

How about the Washington Cornball Brothers ?

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 09, 2013, 07:13:42 PM

because of the lack of knowledge in today's society of what was actually done to their culture.  What we learned in history class doesn't even begin to describe what happened to Native Americans since the Europeans discovered the "New World".

If he believes that, then he doesn't know much.    Almost everyone knows the white man brought disease, killed all the buffalo on purpose so they had no food, raped their women, killed Indians for sport, lied to them, cheated them, stole their land, gave them no respect, etc. etc. etc.       It's the worst thing about American history including bringing slaves over from Africa.   At least the slaves weren't butchered en mass to the brink of extinction like the Indians were.   

I have a lot of respect for American Indians.   They took a horrible beating by people with very low ethical standards, but at least they put up a fight.   They killed a lot of palefaces defending themselves even though they were at a drastic disadvantage when it came to inventions at the time such as the gun compared to the bow and arrow.   I think the word Redskins is a proud moniker to be respected.   It's nothing to mock or disrespect.   If it wasn't a proud symbol, that team wouldn't use it.

Ms Elam

Starter

#28 : January 09, 2013, 07:41:31 PM

Paleface was a racial slur.   Doesn't offend me in any way.
I think pale face was more of a description used by native Americans to describe white people. Just like they are describing their skin tone with red skin. I don't think its offensive, but if the NFL polls native Americans and ask them if they are offended, if the vast majority are offended then change it. But i'm not so sure they would be because I've never viewed it as a racial slur. But the school system doesn't teach much about native Americans, other than we"discovered"America and gave them tax free land so I'm not educated on the term. native American history should be a more integral part of history since they were here first.

And just for the record a team called the white skins wouldn't offend you but it would probably offend every other race. It would be a PR nightmare. The perception through out history is that the white man is better and everyone else should bow down. Enslaving the blacks, killing and taking land from native Americans, segregation. The signs said white only, blacks only, but it wasnt just blacks, no other race could sit and eat in white only restaurants, or go to the white schools. Then the name white skins is even more racist because it would be directly linked to the skin heads. I'm not saying is fair or right that white folks cant have a white skins team to cheer for, but sometimes perception is reality.

Ms Elam

Starter

#29 : January 09, 2013, 07:46:33 PM

I'm the least PC person you'll ever meet. I can't stand the PC cry babies and what it's doing to our society....but I have never believed the Redskin name was appropriate and have always felt it should be changed. It's not about being PC to me, it's about not using a known racial slur as the name of your sports franchise. It's just ridiculous to me. The "Chiefs" is a perfect example of how they could still keep the native American theme, but not use a hateful slur.
since when is pirate a derogatory term to describe ones race? Just saying bro
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Washington Redskins name change? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools