Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Washington Redskins name change? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

BucOrDie21

Rookie

#30 : January 09, 2013, 07:51:35 PM

Based on Americas history with native americans i can see why a name change would be needed to move the team back to D.C

Personally i dont have a problem with the name. Lets looks at the Chigaco Blackhawks, clevland indians, atlanta braves, illinois fighting illini, florida state seminoles, and im sure many more.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#31 : January 09, 2013, 07:55:13 PM

Relax JD.  I don't think anyone is talking directly to you, I know I wasn't.  It just seems to me the whole politically correct thing has gone way overboard and people need to lighten up.  After all what about us pirates out here, should we be offended by the Buccaneers logo?

I'm the least PC person you'll ever meet. I can't stand the PC cry babies and what it's doing to our society....but I have never believed the Redskin name was appropriate and have always felt it should be changed. It's not about being PC to me, it's about not using a known racial slur as the name of your sports franchise. It's just ridiculous to me. The "Chiefs" is a perfect example of how they could still keep the native American theme, but not use a hateful slur.
since when is pirate a derogatory term to describe ones race? Just saying bro
Sorry I should have broke out my blue crayon.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#32 : January 09, 2013, 07:56:46 PM

Based on Americas history with native americans i can see why a name change would be needed to move the team back to D.C

Personally i dont have a problem with the name. Lets looks at the Chigaco Blackhawks, clevland indians, atlanta braves, illinois fighting illini, florida state seminoles, and im sure many more.

All Native American related. None are hateful racial slurs.

Draft Aaron Donald

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#33 : January 09, 2013, 07:59:38 PM

Somebody do a poll, lets see how it shakes out.

Ms Elam

Starter

#34 : January 09, 2013, 08:06:20 PM

Relax JD.  I don't think anyone is talking directly to you, I know I wasn't.  It just seems to me the whole politically correct thing has gone way overboard and people need to lighten up.  After all what about us pirates out here, should we be offended by the Buccaneers logo?

I'm the least PC person you'll ever meet. I can't stand the PC cry babies and what it's doing to our society....but I have never believed the Redskin name was appropriate and have always felt it should be changed. It's not about being PC to me, it's about not using a known racial slur as the name of your sports franchise. It's just ridiculous to me. The "Chiefs" is a perfect example of how they could still keep the native American theme, but not use a hateful slur.
since when is pirate a derogatory term to describe ones race? Just saying bro
Sorry I should have broke out my blue crayon.
Hey I wasn't stating my opinion either way, I said I dont think its offense, but what do I know I'm not native American. I was just saying you picked a bad comparison to make your point.  Grabbing  a blue crayon won't change that :D

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 09, 2013, 08:12:46 PM

The Washington Redbutts...

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer
#36 : January 09, 2013, 08:37:38 PM

Lets see....one of the longest standing NFL teams has run with this name for decades.

Yeah no...youre not changing it. That would be like saying change the Packers or the Bears.

Nobody cares if you are offended and nobody even considers Redskins racist. Its become so desensitized that nobody even thinks it in a negative light.

And be real, how many true blooded Native Americans do you see now a days anyways?

Vincent Gray is just puffing out his chest to try to appeal to the NW DC crowd..the ultra liberal. That name will never be changed because lets face it....how can you just uproot a NFL Tradition over what some crybabies consider is racist. And not to mention, changing names is bad luck.

Washington Bullets was one of the coolest names in sports. Now its the Wizards (horribly awful).

Nobody is changing the name so this article is pointless.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 09, 2013, 08:44:16 PM

As a Native American I could care less, and the only people making this news are only doing so for their own gains. 

Iroquois

You mean the Iroquois who inspired the founding fathers to establish a nation founded on freedom and liberty?

After using these people as their inspiration for establishing  this once great country, they were labeled savages and subjected to genocide?

Those Iroquois?

Shame on you brother. Did you know anything about this history?

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : January 09, 2013, 08:45:06 PM

Lets see....one of the longest standing NFL teams has run with this name for decades.

They were originally called the Braves.

Draft Aaron Donald

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 09, 2013, 08:45:52 PM

How about the Washington Gringos, or the Washington RedNECKS?

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#40 : January 09, 2013, 08:46:39 PM

The Washington Rednecks would probably be the most popular team in NFL history.

Draft Aaron Donald

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#41 : January 09, 2013, 08:55:35 PM

Washington Mourners.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#42 : January 09, 2013, 08:57:35 PM

since when is pirate a derogatory term

when the word "butt" is in front of it.

Dy-nasty D

Starter
#43 : January 09, 2013, 09:53:01 PM

The name sucks, the uniforms suck, Snyder and that **CENSORED** that used to be our GM suck. The whole thing needs to be blown up and started over again.

Start with the name change.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#44 : January 09, 2013, 09:53:44 PM

This topic comes up every few years.  People are getting too PC.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Washington Redskins name change? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools