Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2013 NFL Draft lacking top end talent at CB « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 10, 2013, 12:13:29 AM

2013 NFL Draft Cornerbacks Rankings: Lacking top end talent?

By Sander Philipse on Jan 9, 4:00p

Douglas C. Pizac-US PRESSWIRE

Who is the best cornerback in the 2013 draft, and can the Bucs get value at the position?

According to Dan Pompei of the Natonal Football Post, the 2013 NFL Draft will not have much top end talent at the cornerback spot, but it will have a lot of depth. That is: there aren't any real shutdown cornerbacks in this draft, but there are a lot of decent cornerbacks who could go in the second or third round. To be fair, he's not including Alabama's Dee Milliner, who has yet to declare for the draft. One intriguing fact: he names Utah State's Will Davis as his top cornerback, and Connecticut's Blidi-Wreh Wilson at the number three spot, after talking to scouts.

If we look at Mocking the Draft's rankings, though, we get a bit of a different picture. Obviously that picture is impacted by including Juniors, most obviously Dee Milliner taking the top spot. Milliner and Banks both rank in the top 32, according to Mocking the Draft, but that's about it for top-of-the-line talent. Here's their top 10 cornerbacks:

1. Dee Milliner | 6'1, 196 pounds | Cornerback | Alabama *
2. Johnthan Banks | 6'2, 185 pounds | Cornerback | Mississippi State
3. Logan Ryan | 6'0, 190 pounds | Cornerback | Rutgers *
4. Xavier Rhodes | 6'2, 209 pounds | Cornerback | Florida State *
5. Bradley Roby | 5'11, 190 pounds | Cornerback | Ohio State **
6. Jordan Poyer | 6'0, 190 pounds | Cornerback | Oregon State
7. Desmond Trufant | 6'0, 185 pounds | Cornerback | Washington

8. Will Davis | 6'0, 186 pounds | Cornerback | Utah State
9. David Amerson | 6'3, 194 pounds | Cornerback | North Carolina State *
10. Blidi Wreh-Wilson | 6'2, 190 pounds | Cornerback | Connecticut

One consequence of this development may be a different free agency strategy for the Buccaneers. They must find more talent at cornerback, and they may now look to this free agent class to fill that need while drafting talent at a different position at the top of the draft. Sean Smith may be my favorite of the free agent cornerbacks, but there's not a lot of top end talent at that position, either.

Overall, the Bucs may be stuck between a rock and a hard place. They need to find quality cornerback play to run their defensive scheme, but they'll find it difficult to actually find that talent. [/size

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/1/9/3855546/2013-nfl-draft-cornerbacks-rankings-buccaneers

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 10, 2013, 12:46:43 AM

This article is retarded. Very few drafts have shutdown corners in them. This draft has plenty of good CBs who can start right away and play well.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 10, 2013, 01:09:42 AM

This article is retarded. Very few drafts have shutdown corners in them. This draft has plenty of good CBs who can start right away and play well.

But worth the #13 pick?   I wouldn't trade up for any of them.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 10, 2013, 01:15:06 AM

I wouldn't trade up because we have too many depth issues to do that. I like Milliner though. Too bad Lions will probably snag another player we need.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 10, 2013, 01:18:01 AM

I like Milliner or Rhodes at #13.  They should be there.  Lots of good linemen will go early.  And a few of those teams ahead of us,  will reach for a QB.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 10, 2013, 01:21:27 AM

Nothing is certain with rookies. Why do people feel the need to speak as if it is?

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 10, 2013, 01:33:58 AM

Nothing is certain with rookies. Why do people feel the need to speak as if it is?

Agree.  There could very well be a franchise QB in this draft somewhere.  Happens most every year.
: January 10, 2013, 01:56:55 AM The Anti-Java

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 10, 2013, 01:54:01 AM

If Milliner is there at 13 we shouldn't waste any of our time on the clock. He showcased his talents in that national championship game. I can't see him falling that far.

tmac87

Starter
#8 : January 10, 2013, 02:08:04 AM

If Milliner is there at 13 we shouldn't waste any of our time on the clock. He showcased his talents in that national championship game. I can't see him falling that far.

+1. Milliner is what we need (on paper) but I don't see him slipping to 13.

Lets f&#(!^ do this Lovie!

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#9 : January 10, 2013, 02:27:53 AM

I like Milliner

The quest for .500 begins...

spurzo

Second String

#10 : January 10, 2013, 06:38:11 AM

Everyone likes Milliner, if he's there the Bucs will run the pick up to the podium.  The real question is what happens when he's not there at 13?  I'm torn between Banks and Rhodes, Banks is the better cover guy but isn't physical and isn't a great tackler.  Rhodes is very physical and can hit but I don't see great coverage skills or the speed to cover deep.  That's why I think we should best D-lineman available like Richardson or Mingo and then come back in round 2 and take the best corner left, maybe rhodes is there, jordan poyer, logan ryan. 

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 10, 2013, 07:33:06 AM

Tampa needs a man to man legit cover corner.

Banks looks better every day.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#12 : January 10, 2013, 07:44:18 AM

I can guarantee you guys that we will not be taking a cornerback with our first pick unless we trade back. There was a reason why Notre Dame continuously went after Milliner in that game, and it's because he's not as good as advertised. Too bad ND's quarterback and receivers suck balls.

Xavier Rhodes and Banks are probably the two best known corners in this draft, but both are flawed in opposite ways. Rhodes is really physical but doesn't have the speed to cover deep. Banks has great speed and athleticism but isn't very physical. Rhodes reminds me of Brandon Browner, while Banks reminds me of DRC without the baggage.
: January 10, 2013, 08:13:47 AM The Franchi5e

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

#13 : January 10, 2013, 08:37:53 AM

not a chance Milliner is there at 13. that'd be awesome tho.

Go Bucs

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

#14 : January 10, 2013, 09:01:10 AM

I'm no draft guru but from what I can tell there's more CB talent in this draft than any I can remember. 
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2013 NFL Draft lacking top end talent at CB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools