Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Monte Kiffen As Cowboys DC? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 11, 2013, 01:19:35 AM

January 10, 2013

Derrick Brooks: Monte Kiffin is motivated to "earn his reputation back"

Monte Kiffin soon could be the Cowboys new defensive coordinator. Even his old players didn't see this one coming.

Former Bucs linebacker Derrick Brooks said he figured the 72-year-old Kiffin would get another shot in the NFL. He just didn't expect it to be with Dallas.

"I would never have guessed Dallas two weeks ago," said Brooks, who still keeps in touch with Kiffin.

Kiffin would convert the Cowboys back to a 4-3 scheme. The Cowboys played the 4-3 from their first season in 1960 until Bill Parcells' third season in Dallas in 2005 when he switched to the 3-4. The Cowboys have played the 3-4 since.

"I don't know if he has the players there yet. I hope he does," Brooks said. "I just know what we did to make our defense great. Some would say it's so simple, but at the same time, it's so complex. You always hear about Dallas, 'They've got talent. They've got talent.' Well, now it's time to roost. They can answer the question: Do they really have talent?"

Brooks compared DeMarcus Ware to Simeon Rice. Rice had 69 of his 122 sacks in his four years in Kiffin's Cover 2 defense.

"For the most part, all he's doing is going after the quarterback," Brooks said. "We know [Ware] can do that."

The Bucs had John Lynch at safety, Warren Sapp at defensive tackle, Brooks at linebacker, Ronde Barber at corner to go along with Rice. Sapp and Lynch are Hall of Fame candidates this year.

That is a big reason in 13 years in Tampa, Kiffin's defenses ranked in the top 10 in total defense all but two years -- 11th in 1997 and 17th in 2006 -- and top 10 in fewest points allowed for all but 2006 (21st). Six times they ranked in the top 10 in takeaways.

Kiffin also had top assistants in guys like Rod Marinelli, Lovie Smith, Joe Berry, Mike Tomlin, Herm Edwards.

"That was a big part of his success was his assistants," Brooks said. "They have to know how to teach. ...He believes every player can be coached."

Brooks knows one thing: Kiffin will be more motivated than ever after four years in the college game coaching for his son and a disappointing departure from the Bucs in 2008.

"Our defense once he made that announcement he was leaving, it's on record we didn't play well," Brooks said. "That doesn't sit right with him. I know that bothers him. He is motivated in that sense. He wants to earn his reputation back."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/01/derrick-brooks-monte-kiffin-is-motivated-to-earn-his-reputation-back.html#storylink=cpy

Well that makes a little more sense.    If he has something to prove.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 11, 2013, 08:20:51 AM

Dallas is actually pretty close in terms of players. Ratliff will move to UT  I'm sure. Carter will be the WLB. Lee can play a 43 MLB. Ware is the RDE. The other spot along the front: NT, LDE and SLB are trash positions anyways that we filled with bodies more than players most of the time.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

DEBUCSOWN

Starter

#17 : January 11, 2013, 02:30:34 PM

Its official montes a cowboy. Bummer

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8835776/monte-kiffin-named-defensive-coordinator-dallas-cowboys?appsrc=sc
: January 11, 2013, 02:32:06 PM DEBUCSOWN

Go Bucs

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 11, 2013, 03:17:26 PM

OK, first off, I'm not a fan of this, but I am a fan of Kiff. I hope he does well.

Second, it lets us know Kiff doesn't want to be a HC for whatever reason. Maybe age? He could have had that KC HC job, no problem.

And third, what "gain reputation back?" As far as I'm concerned, four games does not blow off 16 seasons of having a top ten defense. Kiff is a man that can do what he wants. He opted to take care of family first. Lord knows Lane needed it. Good for him, and good for the Cowboys noticing his greatness. Ware is going to put up some sick numbers.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 11, 2013, 03:26:36 PM

It's probably because of his reputation in college. The last few games were truly awful.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 11, 2013, 03:38:18 PM

I dont care what he does in Dallas. He did a great job when he was here and as a Buc fan thats all I can ask.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#21 : January 11, 2013, 04:46:09 PM

I wish he'd retire.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 11, 2013, 04:50:09 PM

Surprising move to me, on both fronts. The Cowboys do have a long history of great 4-3 DL's though, including all the Super Bowl W's. Parcells left before he ever won a Lombardi in big D.
     By the time they wade through all the personnel changes they'll need, Kiffin will be much older. TBH, I'm doubtful this works...
     Have to wonder if Chuckie will go there as an OC, as Norv Turner for now seems unlikely...

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 11, 2013, 05:26:43 PM

It would be awesome if Kiffin coached the Cowboys D and they hired Gruden as HC.

Stranger things have happened in the NFL.....think Gruden said he'd come to Dallas if Jerry signed Monte on as DC first?

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 11, 2013, 05:38:10 PM

What?!

TRAITOR!

You left us, and now you join the enemy!

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 11, 2013, 05:57:42 PM

It would be awesome if Kiffin coached the Cowboys D and they hired Gruden as HC.

Stranger things have happened in the NFL.....think Gruden said he'd come to Dallas if Jerry signed Monte on as DC first?

That would be interesting. I could see it.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 11, 2013, 08:16:34 PM

Gruden and Kiffin!   I bet 90% of Buc fans would become Cowboys fans.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 11, 2013, 08:36:41 PM

Dallas better hope those corners learn how to tackle or its over for them

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#28 : January 11, 2013, 08:39:06 PM

10%er and proud of it.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 11, 2013, 08:43:08 PM

Gruden and Kiffin!   I bet 90% of Buc fans would become Cowboys fans.
Idiots like you probably would.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Monte Kiffen As Cowboys DC? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools