Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It appears Bucs defensive end Michael Bennett has pretty good timing « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 11, 2013, 09:17:42 PM

Ok thanks for clearing that up.

Its very expensive, I don't see Bennett falling into that category.  I do hope they resign him though, but not tag him.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 11, 2013, 11:48:15 PM

Good player and I hope they resign him.  But no way would I tag him.  That is really a last resort to keep a great player. And for all that tag money,  all you get is one year of service.  Then if you want to tag him again its 120% pay raise.

Not the transition tag. It's actually a very good way to let the player and his agent feel out the rest of the league, gauge other team's interest, and figure out his true value. If another team makes an offer, be get the chance to match it or let him go. If no teams make offers, then he comes back and takes a lesser deal.

If no team makes and offer, and he still won't take an reasonable deal from us, the team can remove the tag and not pay him the $10.8M. He would become a FA at that point. It's really a win/win for everyone.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 12, 2013, 10:11:47 AM

Good player and I hope they resign him.  But no way would I tag him.  That is really a last resort to keep a great player. And for all that tag money,  all you get is one year of service.  Then if you want to tag him again its 120% pay raise.

If no team makes and offer, and he still won't take an reasonable deal from us, the team can remove the tag and not pay him the $10.8M. He would become a FA at that point. It's really a win/win for everyone.

I'll doubt that. With a transitional tag we make an auction out of his contract negotiation, able to 'win' any matching offer, just we have to make the 1st offer with top10 money, if no teams offers more he will sign our top10 offer. But this atleast is not so far away from a reasonable prize. More of an option than the franchise tag.But keep in mind we offer him top10 money for the full contract, not just 1 year.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 12, 2013, 10:31:53 AM

I wouldn't franchise tag and/or break the bank for a guy who never even gets double digit sacks....didn't work out so good when we tried that with Chidi Ahanotu.

Try to sign him to a fair market value contract , if not move on and insert Bowers into the starting lineup.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#34 : January 12, 2013, 10:59:14 AM

Fair market value is going to be something like 5 years $35M. If he doesn't go for that, use the transition tag and let him go see if any other teams are willing to give him more.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 12, 2013, 02:46:39 PM

Not the transition tag. It's actually a very good way to let the player and his agent feel out the rest of the league, gauge other team's interest, and figure out his true value. If another team makes an offer, be get the chance to match it or let him go. If no teams make offers, then he comes back and takes a lesser deal.

I hear ya man, but not sure he is the caliber of player that deserves either tag.  Good player and I hope they do resign him, but I can't imagine him getting tagged.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#36 : January 11, 2014, 08:56:19 PM

If only we had used that transition tag!!!

He'll cost a lot more than $7M/yr now.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It appears Bucs defensive end Michael Bennett has pretty good timing « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools