Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#45 : February 21, 2013, 02:38:00 PM

Marquise Goodwin over him any day of the week.

Lol. No way. All Goodwin is at this point is a track star who has great straight-line speed. In 4 years, Goodwin caught 120 passes...Austin caught 114 in just 2012. Goodwin, in 4 years had 12 total TDs. Austin had 17 in just 2012, and had a career total of 41 TDs. Austin returns both KOs and punts and was pretty successful at both. Goodwin just returned KOs and was decent at it.

Tavon was a proven playmaker and absolute game-changer anytime he touched the ball.

Who knows how either of them will translate to the pros...but the edge, in my mind, certainly goes to the guy who had enormous production when receiving/rushing/returning.
: February 21, 2013, 02:45:17 PM chace1986

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

spurzo

Second String

#46 : February 21, 2013, 11:40:22 PM

An Eifert, Austin, Logan Ryan draft would be excellent.  This is a really deep free agent class and we could improve the D with sean smith/or keenan lewis... glover quinn and Randy Starks.  Maybe even throw in Phil Loadholt or Gosder Cherilus 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#47 : February 22, 2013, 12:33:04 AM

Watching this dude,  Dexter Jackson comes to mind for some reason.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Ms Elam

Starter

#48 : February 22, 2013, 10:56:42 AM

That can be a bad thing or a good thing. Austin knows what to do with the ball in his hands, so did Dexter Jackson. Are you saying they have a similar game, or that you think he's to small and scared of the physical NFL contact? Because that was a big part of Dexters downfall.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#49 : February 22, 2013, 10:20:30 PM

That can be a bad thing or a good thing. Austin knows what to do with the ball in his hands, so did Dexter Jackson. Are you saying they have a similar game, or that you think he's to small and scared of the physical NFL contact? Because that was a big part of Dexters downfall.

Dude is only 5-7, 170.  He could make it as a return guy maybe.   But even one of the best returners ever, Devon Hester,  is 5-11, 190.

Hard to picture this Austin kid running between the tackles, or running routes across the middle. 

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#50 : February 22, 2013, 11:13:11 PM

I'd rather go DE, trade up for Trufant and take a WR/TE in the 3rd

big_JLB

Starter

#51 : February 22, 2013, 11:16:16 PM

An Eifert, Austin, Logan Ryan draft would be excellent.  This is a really deep free agent class and we could improve the D with sean smith/or keenan lewis... glover quinn and Randy Starks.  Maybe even throw in Phil Loadholt or Gosder Cherilus

i certainly wouldn't complain if the first 3 rounds shook out like that

Hate

Hall of Famer
#52 : February 22, 2013, 11:23:33 PM

This guy is much closer to Percy Harvin than Dexter Jackson 2.0

-------------------------------------------------------

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#53 : February 22, 2013, 11:29:16 PM

This guy is much closer to Percy Harvin than Dexter Jackson 2.0

Even Percy is 5-11, 188.

I would hate to see the Bucs draft the guy, and he is on injured reserve by week 2.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#54 : February 22, 2013, 11:46:25 PM

Dude is only 5-7, 170.  He could make it as a return guy maybe.   But even one of the best returners ever, Devon Hester,  is 5-11, 190.

Hard to picture this Austin kid running between the tackles, or running routes across the middle.

5'8", 174 was his official #s at the combine today...not a big change..but when you are 5'8"...every inch counts. lol.

..and this dude is nothing like Dexter Jackson. Austin is an absolute playmaker in nearly every facet of the game. Percy Harvin comparison is pretty accurate, despite the 2-3 inches of height difference.
: February 22, 2013, 11:48:39 PM chace1986

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#55 : February 22, 2013, 11:54:45 PM

5'8", 174 was his official #s at the combine today...not a big change..but when you are 5'8"...every inch counts. lol.

..and this dude is nothing like Dexter Jackson. Austin is an absolute playmaker in nearly every facet of the game. Percy Harvin comparison is pretty accurate, despite the 2-3 inches of height difference.

Every inch and every pound helps.   I would prefer they trade for Percy, instead of taking a flyer on this little guy.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#56 : February 23, 2013, 12:08:44 AM

No way.

1. Percy's health is a slight concern.
2. .....as is his attitude
3. He also wants a big payday...so we would be looking at not only having V-Jax making an average of $11mil, but also resigning MW19 to something around $8..then coming up with another $9-10 to sign this guy.
4. Tavon has the younger legs, and may actually be a little faster/quicker than Harvin.

Trendon Holliday is 5'5" and held up fine in the return game. Austin would see the field a little more than Holliday on offense, of course, but he wouldn't be relied on as much as Williams/Jackson. So the potential for injury because of his size, doesn't concern me all that much.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#57 : February 23, 2013, 12:15:17 AM

No way.

3. He also wants a big payday...so we would be looking at not only having V-Jax making an average of $11mil, but also resigning MW19 to something around $8..then coming up with another $9-10 to sign this guy.
4. Tavon has the younger legs, and may actually be a little faster/quicker than Harvin.

Trendon Holliday is 5'5" and held up fine in the return game. Austin would see the field a little more than Holliday on offense, of course, but he wouldn't be relied on as much as Williams/Jackson. So the potential for injury because of his size, doesn't concern me all that much.

1.   So will Austin's health after getting his bell rung  a couple times.

2.   Austin is sayin he is definitely a first round pick.  Attitude or confidence?

3.     Agree

4.   But is he durable enough to play with the big boys?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#58 : February 23, 2013, 01:37:27 AM

No way.

1.   So will Austin's health after getting his bell rung  a couple times.

2.   Austin is sayin he is definitely a first round pick.  Attitude or confidence?

3.     Agree

4.   But is he durable enough to play with the big boys?

1. The injury concerns with Percy aren't just speculatory.

2. Once again, there is evidence of Percy being somewhat of an irritant...who knows whether Tavon is overconfident...it doesn't have to be a bad thing that he believes that he may be the best talent in the draft, though.

3. $$$

4. We shall see. There have been others who have overcome the "size" argument. To me, injuries are just as likely to happen to a guy like Harvin, as the are a guy like Austin. There are some hits that would injure a player whether they are 6'2", or whether they are 5'8". It's circumstantial, for the most part.

HolyBuc

Starter
#59 : February 23, 2013, 06:14:50 PM

Same size as Ernest Givens.  Tavon Austin did 14 reps of 225lbs.  He is no Dexter Jackson his production in school blows him away.  500+ all purpose yards vs. Oklahoma proves to me he will do just fine on an NFL team that uses him correctly. 

I would love to see us draft Tavon Austin and Gavin Escobar.   Vincent Jackson, Mike Wiliams,  Tavon Austin in the Slot,  Escobar at TE  and Doug Martin. That offense would be fun to watch.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools