Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

: January 11, 2013, 01:27:55 PM

Probably going to be the next player we kick ourselves for not drafting. Dude will be the best slot receiver in the league in a few years. Maybe we can make a trade into the end of the 1st round again to draft him like we did with Martin last year? Come on Schiano...I know you love you some WVU players.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 11, 2013, 01:40:01 PM

I like him but I feel we really need to focus on the d this offseason. If we do a lot of that in FA then Id agree it go get him or at TE. I think if we solve a lot of our problems on defense then the team will be in a very solid position to make playoffs.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 11, 2013, 01:44:15 PM

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I think about just going offense in the first two rounds.

The new NFL is just about scoring points, crappy defenses can win games as long as they get turnovers (which we did earlier in the year).

Imagine if we drafted Eifert and Austin, Freeman or his replacement would break records.

It's not like we've been neglecting defense in the past few drafts. Just in the first 2 rounds since 2010 it's been: McCoy (D), Benn (O), Price (D), Clayborn (D), Bowers (D), Barron (D), Martin (O), David (D). That's 6-2 in favour of defense.

We need CBs, but those can be had in FA, and we could always trade back up into the 2nd and pick up a guy like Logan Ryan.

Eifert, Austin, Ryan would be a great draft imo.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 11, 2013, 01:48:07 PM

I dont think we should be adapting our team to the NFL of today because our team isnt good enough on offense to play with the best on offense. Freeman is way too inconsistent to make this about the offense. They need to make the defense respectable again or this team is going nowhere with Freeman at QB. Not with the crappy pass defense they have had.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 11, 2013, 01:52:20 PM

I dont think we should be adapting our team to the NFL of today because our team isnt good enough on offense to play with the best on offense. Freeman is way too inconsistent to make this about the offense. They need to make the defense respectable again or this team is going nowhere with Freeman at QB.

I would at least set the pieces so that no matter who is the QB, the offense can score a lot of points. If Freeman can throw 27 TDs with the current roster, he could probably throw 35+ with Eifert and Austin. I don't know the stats, but if you pass for that many TDs a year, then you're probably going to the playoffs.

You could bring in a game manager like Alex Smith, and he would keep the turnovers low, while still scoring a lot of TDs.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 11, 2013, 01:54:29 PM

Id be ok with it if they did a lot in FA before the draft. Then it would probably be a good idea. Our defense is pretty young. Maybe a good influx of vets on defense is what they need. I agree Austin would be a great addition to the WRs.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 11, 2013, 02:01:03 PM

Id be ok with it if they did a lot in FA before the draft. Then it would probably be a good idea. Our defense is pretty young. Maybe a good influx of vets on defense is what they need. I agree Austin would be a great addition to the WRs.

If they don't address the CB issue at all, then I would be concerned, but if they get at least one FA CB and draft a 2nd/3rd rounder, I would be pretty happy with those results.

A dominant CB would be nice to have in the first, but I think an Eifert/Austin combo would score more points than a Milliner/Banks/Rhodes would stop.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 11, 2013, 02:11:15 PM

Could be. Hopefully they have a good plan going in this offseason. Its gonna be interesting to see what they do. They arent that far from playoffs imo but I think things could easily change. It just depends on who comes in and who goes first of all. They need to make sure they keep what was working and change what wasnt.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 11, 2013, 02:24:41 PM

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I think about just going offense in the first two rounds.

The new NFL is just about scoring points, crappy defenses can win games as long as they get turnovers (which we did earlier in the year).

Imagine if we drafted Eifert and Austin, Freeman or his replacement would break records.

It's not like we've been neglecting defense in the past few drafts. Just in the first 2 rounds since 2010 it's been: McCoy (D), Benn (O), Price (D), Clayborn (D), Bowers (D), Barron (D), Martin (O), David (D). That's 6-2 in favour of defense.

We need CBs, but those can be had in FA, and we could always trade back up into the 2nd and pick up a guy like Logan Ryan.

Eifert, Austin, Ryan would be a great draft imo.

I like Austin, but TBH, I like his teammate Bailey a little more. Even still, ^that^ would be a nice haul. I would actually be fine with this, just as long as we are pretty active in FA by bringing in at least 3 DBs and building up the overall depth.
: January 11, 2013, 02:55:51 PM chace1986

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#9 : January 11, 2013, 02:29:30 PM

A dominant CB would be nice to have in the first, but I think an Eifert/Austin combo would score more points than a Milliner/Banks/Rhodes would stop.

Agreed. Doug Martin, Vincent Jackson, Tavon Austin, Mike Williams and Eifert would be so awesome to watch. Atleast if we got him all these options and set up the offense then we could see for sure if Freeman needs to be extended after this year. A franchise quarterback would put up video game numbers with that group.

Psych

Starter

#10 : January 11, 2013, 02:35:13 PM

If we get Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and LaRon Landry in free agency. I wouldn't mind getting Eifert and Austin as long as we do get Logan Ryan.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 11, 2013, 02:51:55 PM

If Tavon Austin really is a difference maker like that then maybe we should add him. We would be in position to do it. They just really need a solid offseason for defense. They have the money to make it happen.

HolyBuc

Starter
#12 : January 11, 2013, 03:14:33 PM

I dont think we should be adapting our team to the NFL of today because our team isnt good enough on offense to play with the best on offense. Freeman is way too inconsistent to make this about the offense. They need to make the defense respectable again or this team is going nowhere with Freeman at QB. Not with the crappy pass defense they have had.

Finishing 9th in total offense, our highest finish in franchise history is not very good?  Or 13th in points per game once again our highest finish in franchise history.  I think this offense went flat when our slot receiver Tiquan Underwood got blown up in the Carolina Game and seemed to be dropping a ton of passes after that.  Was Freeman inconsistent  yes...yes he was...did we have a mashed up o-line all year...yep and we still set franchise records on offense.

I would love Tavon Austin not just for the slot but his return ability I think I saw one kick off return and one punt return that even looked like they had a chance to go for 6 points and the kick off return barley got past the 50 yard line. 

Sean Smith is a good man corner who is now asked to play a lot of zone in Miami, lets sign him in FA and draft the BPA with our first round pick or trade down.  If we trade down Austin could be a very real option we went through a lot guys to start looking for a returner and slot player.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 11, 2013, 03:16:43 PM

I like him but I feel we really need to focus on the d this offseason. If we do a lot of that in FA then Id agree it go get him or at TE. I think if we solve a lot of our problems on defense then the team will be in a very solid position to make playoffs.

I like the idea of a TE who could block for Martin and also have an impact as a receiver. Dotson could use some help in pass protection too. If we can't get the best CB in the draft at 13, I'd be fine with the best TE. A second year in the system and a healthy OL should lend to a much more efficient offense, running AND passing. Health and familiarity will improve the defense but there has to be an upgrade in talent for the DBs. I just can't see drafting a second round talent in the first round. The value has to be there. I'm confident we will do well with roster additions and at least grab a WC spot next season.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 11, 2013, 03:18:09 PM

Freeman can't read a field.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools