Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
#30 : January 12, 2013, 05:04:04 AM

I really hope we pull something off to snatch this guy up like we did with Doug Martin. Dudes a playmaker from everything Ive seen. Dont think hell still be around when we draft in round 2. He needs to be a Buc IMO. He could be that difference maker weve been longing for, not just on offense, but also in the return game.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 12, 2013, 06:42:27 AM

Come on, unless you have Brady or Manning at QB. Your going to need some sorta D. Even Manning has a great D backing him up.

Stedman Bailey his teammate is probably a slot WR at best and can be had in round 2.
: January 12, 2013, 06:44:13 AM Legend

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 12, 2013, 07:25:34 AM

I disagree that its irrelevant becuase it took this long to beat the record?? The luck this franchise has had with its QB wouldnt surprise me if it took another 30 years to break Freemans TD record.

The franchise records mean nothing when the team is sitting at home when the playoffs are happening. In all likelihood if the Packers, Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, 9ers, etc. teams were breaking the same offensive franchise records, then we would see those teams in the postseason no matter what and they would be favorites to win...that's not true with this team because the offensive history has been bad. It's irrelevant...and btw..this isn't anything against the offensive performance, or blaming them that we didn't make the playoffs. The only point I'm making is the irrelevance of the Bucs franchise records when talking about how good this offense is facing the teams of today.

I know what your saying.

Our offense doesn't stack up with the best in the league but it was still better than average. That's why we need to focus a lot of our attention in defense. That and it doesn't matter how good your offense is if your defense can't stop the pass and get to the QB.

No doubt, but we are also in a position again this offseason to have a shot at grabbing 6-7 new starters in FA/draft as well as adding some depth to the roster. Not every selection we make should be to the defensive side of the ball. Just because the offense is better than average/good at times, doesn't mean that opportunities to make it better shouldn't be considered. The offensive machine worked well in the ground game and coming off play-action. The acquisition of a good TE and slot receiver, just advances this teams chances of evolving into a more complete and versatile offense that can use all routes to move the football and get the ball into the end zone.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 12, 2013, 10:49:52 AM

I hope Tampa trades back into the first to get this kid.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#34 : January 12, 2013, 12:15:53 PM

We're gonna need somebody like this and a new tight end to keep people guessing. Going back into next year with just VJax and Mike Williams as our only two real threats is going to make things extra predictable like they were in 2011 when everyone in the world knew we were throwing to K2 or Mike Williams.

Cordarrelle Patterson is the other guy I'd go after if we don't go for Austin. Guy has some of the most ridiculous cuts I have ever seen. Looks like Julio Jones Jr. and might be able to be had in the early 2nd round. But I could see him moving up like Demaryius Thomas on draft day.

JDbuccaneer19

Practice Squad

#35 : January 12, 2013, 12:20:18 PM

Coming from a die hard WVU fan I watched every game Tavon played in and he is one of the most electrifying players I have ever seen. The man can do it all (That's why he won most versatile player award) and I would be ecstatic if he came to the bucs. That would instantly solve not only our slot receiver hole but punt return and kick return. Todd Mcshay said on soortscenter a few weeks back that Tavon is one of the greatest players he's ever seen in the open field. Once he break away you can just say good bye.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 12, 2013, 12:47:20 PM

Once he break away you can just say good bye.
That's not really true. While he is one of the, if not the, quickest players I've ever seen he isn't exactly one of those burner type of guys. He will make you look silly, but he rarely outruns defenses.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
#37 : January 12, 2013, 01:07:13 PM

He doesnt have to outrun the defense when theyre all on their asses coz he broke their ankles with his quick cuts.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#38 : January 12, 2013, 03:00:58 PM

Point differential in games determines the winner. Point differential over the course of a season indicates strengths and weaknesses of the team and is a point of comparison to the division, the conference, and the league. The offense scored more points than any other team in franchise history, despite new coaches, a new system, and key losses on the OL. They did that with a QB was inconsistent, erratic, and amazing, all in the same season. It's not unreasonable to expect an improvement in production in year two. They set franchise records in Schiano's first year and we have "fans" saying he should be replaced because he has only been a HC at Rutgers. Idiots, and the same goes for those who want Freeman cut or traded.

We went from worst to first in run defense, but our pass defense stunk for 15 games. The Bucs are a playoff team this season with a pass defense a little worse than average. They gave up the points worse than 31 other teams against the pass. Point differential is what killed us, and most of it is on the defense. We had injuries and suspensions on the defense. We had a lot of inexperienced players thrown into the fire. They now will make better backups or make new friends on other teams or new careers. We will upgrade the talent and move on. Points are important, either scoring them or preventing them. The Bucs have proven they can score. They have some work to do at preventing the score. I'm not at all worried about Freeman. I'm a little anxious about the players we are about to sign or draft. Schiano will get it done.

I agree with this.

Thank you. I don't like the word potential, so I'll go with possibility instead. The Bucs have NEVER had the possibility of becoming a top 5 offense. They simply NEVER had the talent. Right now I believe they do, and that's without adding any other players than those we had. Of course I am including Joseph and Nicks. It appears that once again Freeman is going to have to deal with new coaches. I really don't believe that matters. The scheme will be refined but not tossed out all together. Most of the roster will be the same. The Bucs will make the playoffs but won't win the SB, and JavaRay will complain Gruden and Tebow would have won it all. I will continue to enjoy the progress.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#39 : January 13, 2013, 12:35:38 PM

I think Austin will sneak in around 20. There are 4 pass rushers, 3 CBs, and 3 O-Lineman, and a DT I'd take before him, but if they are all somehow gone then I'd be all for Austin.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#40 : January 13, 2013, 03:15:54 PM

He could be a great player but he is not worth drafting because there are so many other things to do before we can pick a KR in the 2nd Round. Anyways he might even end up like Joe Adams last year all hype but not much success.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#41 : February 21, 2013, 02:02:02 PM

Here's a pretty thorough analysis of Tavon...

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2012/futures-west-virginia-wr-tavon-austin

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

zsmith22

Starter

#42 : February 21, 2013, 02:07:07 PM

Marquise Goodwin over him any day of the week.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#43 : February 21, 2013, 02:20:58 PM

We're gonna need somebody like this and a new tight end to keep people guessing. Going back into next year with just VJax and Mike Williams as our only two real threats is going to make things extra predictable like they were in 2011 when everyone in the world knew we were throwing to K2 or Mike Williams.

Cordarrelle Patterson is the other guy I'd go after if we don't go for Austin. Guy has some of the most ridiculous cuts I have ever seen. Looks like Julio Jones Jr. and might be able to be had in the early 2nd round. But I could see him moving up like Demaryius Thomas on draft day.

Bet Patterson does not make it past Miami.. 

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 21, 2013, 02:22:39 PM

I like this dude in the 2nd, but we might have to jump up a few spots to get him. I also like Da'Rick Rogers in the 3rd.

It all depends on what we do in FA.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools