Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: JDub's Off Season Plan « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

JDouble

Hall of Famer
: January 11, 2013, 06:06:48 PM

Free Agency

As of now we have $31M in cap space for next season. This includes about $8M rolled over from 2012. This does not include the roughly $14M more we will have from cutting Wright, Trueblood, and Quincy Black. We are talking about roughly $45M in cap space folks. And the Glazers showed they are ready to spend by restructuring Nicks and Jackson last month to clear more cap room for 2013. Think Big.

DT) Sedrick Ellis - We continue to make our NFC South foes weaker while we get stronger. Both McCoy and Ellis can play NT and UT, which provides nice versatility and depth. The two of them together in the middle of our line will provide quite an upgrade.

DT) Terrnence Knighton - A true nose tackle. Let Roy Miller walk. For slightly more we can replace him with Knighton and be much better off. A rotation of McCoy, Ellis, and Knighton in the middle is so much better than we had in 2012, it's not even funny.

DE) Michael Bennett - Resign him. Even if you have to over pay a little bit. You can't let our only proven pass rusher leave. Besides, this guy worked his way up from the bottom. You need to reward that kind of heart and determination. If a deal can't be reached in time, franchise him. Don't let him go.

CB) Sean Smith - Cut Eric Wright and give his deal to Smith. He's very good, and he is young. Only 26. Almost like getting a great draft pick.

CB) Marcus Trufant - He just turned 32 and is nearing the end of his career, but he shouldn't cost too much and he is still a very solid player. We could get a solid 2 or 3 years out of him. He is a great person who brings veteran leadership to the locker room and a bit of that "Legion of Boom" mentality.

CB) EJ Biggers - It's a small contract with very little guaranteed, but he isn't as horrible as some say. Solid depth with familiarity to the players, coaches, and scheme. Let him compete with Gaitor and Johnson in camp.

FS) Ronde Barber - He said on a radio show the other day that he wasn't retiring anytime soon, so I'm assuming he is coming back. Pay the man and welcome him back with open arms. However, if at any point his age starts to show and Ahmad Black is outplaying him in practice....you have to do what is best for the team. The longer we have Barber's veteran presence in the locker room, the better.

RB) Chris Ivory or Pierre Thomas - The Saints won't keep both. Which ever one they let go should be reunited with Carl Nicks. Either one would be a huge upgrade and provide a solid #2 option to spell Martin or replace him if he was to get hurt.

Trade) LeGarrette Blount - I'll forever be a Blount fan and I sincerely missed his outstanding and entertaining runs this year...but we are obviously not going to use him so tag him and trade him. Could get a decent mid round pick or possible the Cowboys would trade him straight up for their 3rd string RB Phillip Tanner.

The Draft

1st round - Stay put and take Xavier Rhodes. He is the best all around CB prospect and his physical nature fits well into a Schiano team. With Sean Smith and Trufant on the roster, Rhodes doesn't have to be the savior right away. He can play his part while learning from wylie old veterans like Barber and Trufant.

2nd round - EJ Manuel is not perfect, but he has too much potential to pass up if he is there in the 2nd round. He is basically Josh Freeman of 2010. Spending a 2nd on a QB will let Freeman know it is not all about #5 and legitimately push him to play his best. If he still stinks, Manuel has enough potential that he could be an upgrade over Freeman if he gets the chance. If not, he's a very solid back up. With all the new concussion rules you really have to have a solid #2 QB that you are comfortable with. So even if we let Freeman walk and Manuel doesn't become the guy, and we draft a new starting QB....Manuel would still be valuable as the back up. Plus he's a local guy. I know a lot of folks say he is awful and will hate this pick, but it does need to be the pick.

3rd round - Stedman Bailey is a steal if he makes it to the 3rd. Lightning in a bottle this guy is and has amazing hands. We don't just need "a" slot guy. We need Stedman Bailey.

4th round - Tight End Davin Escobar is the man.

4th round -  OT Menelik Watson is a bit raw, but he jumps off the film as a violent and powerful man. Lets see what coach Bostad can do with him!       

5th round - Dennis Johnson is a versatile back that does well in all aspects of the game. He rounds out the back field nicely.

: January 12, 2013, 11:29:01 PM JDouble

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 11, 2013, 06:11:37 PM

CROWN US!!!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 11, 2013, 06:17:15 PM

Bucs need better contingency plan than Devlin and Orlovsky battling it out over who is the better clipboard hauler.

If Freeman tanks and sputters about midway through you replace him. It is not uncommon to have a prospect looking to usurp the huddle.

With that said, I like the basic premise, but the Bucs could use another RT, LT prospect swing man, linebackers for depth and special teams. What is your plan for the linebackers?

And Buggers is garbage. Just a pair of schiddy skivvies.

The o-line?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 11, 2013, 06:22:34 PM

Boid, I'm no O-line expert, but Dom has said he likes to get offensive lineman from other teams rather than thru the draft. Draft Menelik Watson in the 5th and probably sign a FA too....but I couldn't tell you the name of an off the radar OL free agent if you paid me, so I didn't include anyone. I'm sure Dom will sign a couple guys most have never heard of, but I don't expect any major signings or high draft picks to be spent there.

Linebacker is fine right now imo. I'm sure they sign a couple cheap LBs for camp and see if they can outplay Goode and Cutera, but we only use two linebackers most of the time and David/Foster are a good combo to me.
: January 11, 2013, 06:29:38 PM JDouble

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 11, 2013, 06:30:25 PM

For QB I'd like to see Matt Moore came in as the back up, and for Tackle depth  via I'd sign Otah to a futures contract and also go after Lydon Murtha in FA! Just my .2.

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 11, 2013, 06:44:35 PM

Ugh. Najee is no Goode, and Cutrera is a cling on.

Black sucks, and the Bucs have no depth.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 11, 2013, 06:51:30 PM

If Khaseeme Green is there in the 3rd, there's no way Schiano passes up on him.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 11, 2013, 06:55:06 PM

Ugh. Najee is no Goode, and Cutrera is a cling on.

Black sucks, and the Bucs have no depth.

I agree about Najee. Cutera looks decent and is solid on special teams.

Watson and Hayward can continue to play Sam by committee. We hardly use the Sam, and honestly decent Sam linebackers are pretty easy to find. I got names that I like, but nobody wants to hear about Mario Harvey or Josh Bynes. I'm sure they'll sign a few guys or draft a guy late, to come in and compete in camp. Can't imagine it would be too hard to beat out "cement shoes" Goode.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 11, 2013, 06:55:54 PM

Some good thoughts, Jdub.
    Also, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us swing a more-than-insignificant trade too. Cowboys may be looking to swing a trade with Kiffin coming on board. I can't quite picture their D seamlessly switching to Monte's Tampa 2 without some fallout.  :D

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 11, 2013, 07:19:57 PM

If Khaseeme Green is there in the 3rd, there's no way Schiano passes up on him.

id be surprised if hes still there for our 2nd round pick. i know we need corners but i wouldnt hate this pick. wed have easily the best LB corps in the NFC south and one of the better ones in the whole NFC

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 11, 2013, 07:20:37 PM

Jdub, just curious; what's your take on Chad Henne? I know Parcells liked him when with the Fish. If Jax decides to sign Vick, wouldn't mind seeing us go after Henne...

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 11, 2013, 07:24:55 PM

[

CB) EJ Biggers - It's a small contract with very little guaranteed, but he isn't as horrible as some say.

True , he is even worse.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 11, 2013, 07:32:28 PM

Free Agency

QB) Pat Devlin - There just aren't any realistic options to get rid of Freeman this year. We've got to stick with him one more year, so bring in Devlin to compete with Orvlasky as the back up and pray we can find a new QB next year.....or Freeman suddenly becomes a good quarterback. Most folks thing Devlin is garbage, and that is fine, but I'd rather see a young guy that at least has the potential to be good, rather than a 30 year Orvlasky that everyone already knows is garbage. Devlin has as much upside as any QB we could draft in the mid rounds of this draft, he won't cost a draft pick, and he has two year experience in the NFL. Grab him up and hope he turns into a solid back up.

Devlin is an exclusive right FA for Miami.  With Matt Moore being an unrestricted FA, I doubt Miami lets Devlin get away for nothing.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 11, 2013, 07:34:10 PM

No to Grimes, but yes to Trufant? No Cro or jammer?

Everything else I'm OK with, but that is silly. They have to make a splash or two and those two CBS arent it.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#14 : January 11, 2013, 07:52:19 PM

JDub's Off Season Plan:

Trade for Tebow.

I'm with ya.   Finally you see the light.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: JDub's Off Season Plan « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools