Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: JDub's Off Season Plan « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 11, 2013, 09:18:14 PM

I could live with this addresses all our needs. While this is a tad CB heavy for me, I think the fact that Rhodes still needs some grooming allows Trufant+Smith to start and Logan Ryan to play out the gates. Saints fans despise Sedrick Ellis because he has been a lazy, out of shape turd for them. Don't want him here but I like the idea of doubling up with 2 DT's.

Smith-Rhodes-Ryan in the distant future would be lovely.

big_JLB

Starter

#31 : January 11, 2013, 10:06:24 PM

been looking at my offseason scenarios and i think this is the way i hope it shakes out. i wasn't sure how much cap space they had, i knew it was a lot, but if its in the 45-51 million range, there's no way they can't sign a few decent free agents. the only player that needs to be resigned at this point is bennett, and even if they cant work a deal he can be franchised. freeman will be in the same situation next season, imo.

RESIGN
-FS ronde barber...dude is too close to 30/50 to hang them up i think. still wouldn't surprise me if it happened though
-DT roy miller...was solid this season, even if it didnt show on the game sheet. will provide good depth along with gibson, especially if a DT is signed in FA or one that was expected to go in the 1st falls and is available with their 2nd round pick
-CB e.j. biggers...clearly not a #1 or 2...probably not even a nickel on a good team, but IMO CB is going to see a big influx through FA and the draft, and if he can stick around as the dime back i wouldn't mind at all
-DE daniel t'eo-nesheim ...played better than i expected once clayborn went down. decent depth IMO
-DE michael bennett...only player that needs to be resigned, can be franchised as well

FREE AGENCY:
-CB's derek cox (JAC) and cary williams (BAL)...really think dom is going to sign a corner, maybe even two. i don't know if there's anyone that i would give #1 money to, outside of DRC...and thats a stretch. but there are a few that would be really good #2's and thats why i think CB will be their first pick and a couple of quality starters will be brought in to provide legitimate depth. i could also see dom signing one of those players and a vet like rashean mathis as well then taking another corner in rounds 3-5
-OT sebastian vollmer (NE)...would really solidify the right side, and dotson would be a quality backup
-QB david carr (NYG)...has experience in a system similar to the one sullivan runs. they were rumored to have interest in him last offseason and he's a FA again. also has almost a 60% career completion rate. so at least he's accurate
-WR domenik hixon (NYG)...similar to carr, hixon has experience in a similar system, and would help in the slot.
-DT glenn dorsey (KC)...miscast as a 3-4 DE in KC. i think he could flourish as a NT here. the dude obviously has talent, and i think pairing him with mccoy would be unreal
-RB brian leonard (CIN)...if anyone knows what leonard can do its schiano. pairing him with doug would be like rutgers circa 2006, and if i remember correctly thats about when rutgers returned to relevancy
-FS david bruton (DEN)...physical safety who will also contribute on special teams

DRAFT
round 1: xavier rhodes - CB - florida state ...big, physical corner, which will help in the man scheme schiano insists on running
round 2: dion jordan - OLB/DE - oregon ...needs to bulk up to play DE, but will provide the speed to get to the QB that this defence is desperately lacking
round 3: levine toilolo - TE - stanford ...this guy is massive and will provide this offense with a 6-8 target in the RZ. i think a TE will be taken early and i really hope he's still there in the 3rd.
round 4a: kenjon barner - RB - oregon ...a weapon with the football in his hands
round 4b: matt scott - QB - arizona ...completed 60% of his passes and is athletic enough to use his speed as an advantage. i would prefer zach dysert from miami ohio, but he looks like he could be an NFL QB and i think someone will take a chance on him earlier than the 4th
round 5: leon mcfadden - CB - san diego state ...he's a 4 year starter and often gets overlooked, but i really like this kid from san diego state and i dont know if he'll still be there in the 5th. if he isn't CB adrian bushell from louisville is another player i like, dude isn't afraid to throw his body around
round 6: josh boyce - WR - TCU ...excellent good route runner, and would be a good candidate for the slot IMO
round 7: manase foketi - OT - west texas A&M ...transfered to DII west texas A&M from kansas state where he started at LT. is coming off a leg injury, but is a powerful run blocker and worth a flier in the 7th

...in regards to blount, he could easily be released, but i think they'll slap a RFA tender on him and see if someone will bite, and if no one does i think they're more than comfortable having a quality backup like him on the roster
: January 11, 2013, 11:21:47 PM big_jlb

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#32 : January 11, 2013, 10:18:39 PM

Dion Jordan in round 2? Did he try to suck gas up with a vacuum again? That guy is going top 15 otherwise. Maybe Top 5-10

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#33 : January 11, 2013, 10:21:48 PM

Honestly, withe DTs... You could plug in several names there. There is an uncommonly large amount of good free agent DTs this year. It's impossible to know which ones would end up being the best fit... But I'm confident we'll get an upgrade thru FA this year.

Draft Aaron Donald

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 11, 2013, 10:24:42 PM

yeah somebody will take jordan in round 1 unless he fails a precombine drug test.

toilolo is a reach in round 3. hes a round 4 guy.

not so sure id take matt scott. he hasnt shown anywhere near enough for us to roll the dice on. would rather go with dysert over him

gillislee doesnt impress me at all. battled injuries and has only had 1 real year of playing time. too risky to take in the 4th. theres guys to be had in the 5th or so like barner and johnathan franklin who had better production and fewer injuries. im not a fan of 1 year wonder runningbacks. id rather have a guy with multiple years experience

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#35 : January 11, 2013, 10:26:09 PM

Sedrick Ellis suck by the way, hell it may even make the Saints stronger, because he is a huge bust at this point for them.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 11, 2013, 10:30:13 PM

been looking at my offseason scenarios and i think this is the way i hope it shakes out. i wasn't sure how much cap space they had, i knew it was a lot, but if its in the 45-51 million range, there's no way they can't sign a few decent free agents. the only player that needs to be resigned at this point is bennett, and even if they cant work a deal he can be franchised. freeman will be in the same situation next season, imo.

RESIGN
-FS ronde barber...dude is too close to 30/50 to hang them up i think. still wouldn't surprise me if it happened though
-DT roy miller...was solid this season, even if it didnt show on the game sheet. will provide good depth along with gibson, especially if a DT is signed in FA or one that was expected to go in the 1st falls and is available with their 2nd round pick
-CB e.j. biggers...clearly not a #1 or 2...probably not even a nickel on a good team, but IMO CB is going to see a big influx through FA and the draft, and if he can stick around as the dime back i wouldn't mind at all
-DE daniel t'eo-nesheim ...played better than i expected once clayborn went down. decent depth IMO

FREE AGENCY:
-CB's derek cox (JAC) and cary williams (BAL)...really think dom is going to sign a corner, maybe even two. i don't know if there's anyone that i would give #1 money to, outside of DRC...and thats a stretch. but there are a few that would be really good #2's and thats why i think CB will be their first pick and a couple of quality starters will be brought in to provide legitimate depth. i could also see dom signing one of those players and a vet like rashean mathis as well then taking another corner in rounds 3-5
-OT sebastian vollmer (NE)...would really solidify the right side, and dotson would be a quality backup
-QB david carr (NYG)...has experience in a system similar to the one sullivan runs. they were rumored to have interest in him last offseason and he's a FA again. also has almost a 60% career completion rate. so at least he's accurate
-WR domenik hixon (NYG)...similar to carr, hixon has experience in a similar system, and would help in the slot.
-DT glenn dorsey (KC)...miscast as a 3-4 DE in KC. i think he could flourish as a NT here. the dude obviously has talent, and i think pairing him with mccoy would be unreal
-RB brian leonard (CIN)...if anyone knows what leonard can do its schiano. pairing him with doug would be like rutgers circa 2006, and if i remember correctly thats about when rutgers returned to relevancy
-S kenny phillips (NYG)...stevie brown led the league in INTs in his absence. often injured, but when healthy is a talented player. not as good as jairus byrd, but there's no way he gets out of buffalo IMO

DRAFT
round 1: xavier rhodes - CB - florida state ...big, physical corner, which will help in the man scheme schiano insists on running
round 2: dion jordan - OLB/DE - oregon ...needs to bulk up to play DE, but will provide the speed to get to the QB that this defence is desperately lacking
round 3: levine toilolo - TE - stanford ...this guy is massive and will provide this offense with a 6-8 target in the RZ. i think a TE will be taken early and i really hope he's still there in the 3rd.
round 4a: mike gillislee - RB - florida ...a weapon with the football in his hands, and is capable of catching and picking up the blitz
round 4b: matt scott - QB - arizona ...completed 60% of his passes and is athletic enough to use his speed as an advantage. i would prefer zach dysert from miami ohio, but he looks like he could be an NFL QB and i think someone will take a chance on him earlier than the 4th
round 5: leon mcfadden - CB - san diego state ...he's a 4 year starter and often gets overlooked, but i really like this kid from san diego state and i dont know if he'll still be there in the 5th. if he isn't CB adrian bushell from louisville is another player i like, dude isn't afraid to throw his body around
round 6: josh boyce - WR - TCU ...excellent good route runner, and would be a good candidate for the slot IMO
round 7: manase foketi - OT - west texas A&M ...transfered to DII west texas A&M from kansas state where he started at LT. is coming off a leg injury, but is a powerful run blocker and worth a flier in the 7th

...in regards to blount, he could easily be released, but i think they'll slap a RFA tender on him and see if someone will bite, and if no one does i think they're more than comfortable having a quality backup like him on the roster

I like the Rhodes and McFadden picks, and agree on Blount.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 11, 2013, 10:33:52 PM

I know not everyone will make it to free agency. Some will be tagged, some will resign, but look at this list.....

Jason Jones
Henry Melton
Alan Branch
Rocky Bernard
Shaun Cody
Sedrick Ellis
Casey Hampton
Terrance Knighton
Glenn Dorsey
Randy Starks
Kedrick Gholston
Ricky Jean Francois
Arthur Jones
Israel Idonije
Roy Miller

I might have missed a couple.....but you get the point. With all the cap we have, I can't imagine us not getting two guys from this list. One of them will probably be Roy Miller.

Draft Aaron Donald

big_JLB

Starter

#38 : January 11, 2013, 10:35:41 PM

Dion Jordan in round 2? Did he try to suck gas up with a vacuum again? That guy is going top 15 otherwise. Maybe Top 5-10

coming off his injury i'm not so sure he goes that high. but yeah, he's the type of player someone gambles on in the first. the question then becomes who do you go for at DE in the second? im sure someone will fall but if not, really who's there? do you take carradine coming off a busted knee? hope that UCLA's datone jones can put it all together? corey lemonier from auburn isnt big enough to play 4-3 DE and is better suited as a 3-4 OLB, and i have my doubts about michigan state's william gholston. if alex okafor is there from texas it wouldnt be a bad pick, but they really need some speed IMO

ideally jordan or even ziggy ansah are there at the end of the first and they have to use one of the 4ths to trade back up to get one of them. otherwise you're taking your chances. i wouldnt mind carradine actually, he was having a great season before his knee blew up. michael buchanan from illinois would be an interesting fit, but i think he would be a reach in the 2nd

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 11, 2013, 10:40:40 PM

buchanon had a crap season this year and is a big reach in the 2nd.

carradine is a steal if his knee checks out. such a shame he got hurt right at the end. dude was beasting, 80 tackles as a true DE is absurd.

i wouldnt touch gholston. hes got the size and all but he doesnt have the heart or the drive. kid has bust written all over him, must run in the family

ansah isnt worth a trade up imo. if im trading up i want a proven commodity. he isnt experienced enough and his production isnt anything special. hes got potential but so did 100 other guys who busted out.

big_JLB

Starter

#40 : January 11, 2013, 10:46:17 PM

yeah somebody will take jordan in round 1 unless he fails a precombine drug test.

toilolo is a reach in round 3. hes a round 4 guy.

not so sure id take matt scott. he hasnt shown anywhere near enough for us to roll the dice on. would rather go with dysert over him

gillislee doesnt impress me at all. battled injuries and has only had 1 real year of playing time. too risky to take in the 4th. theres guys to be had in the 5th or so like barner and johnathan franklin who had better production and fewer injuries. im not a fan of 1 year wonder runningbacks. id rather have a guy with multiple years experience

toilolo may be a reach in round 3, but a TE with that size and that wingspan is going to give some team visions of jimmy graham and they be willing to take a chance on him. i like him better than ertz, actually.

i agree about dysert, i would take him over scott as well. but dysert looks the part of an NFL QB and put up some decent numbers at miami ohio, i really think someone will take him in the late 2nd or 3rd.

franklin may be fast, but he sucks at catching. i actually like barner better, but he's pretty friggen small. though he's more likely to be there in the 4th. i think someone is going to reach for gillislee

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 11, 2013, 10:50:33 PM

barner is 5"10 190. thats not all that small. id imagine wed work him in on 3rd down. hes big enough to work between the tackles but better outside. hes got good hands and caught quite a few pases at oregon. imagine him running a wheel route and getting the ball in space. franklin's hands arent bad but they arent great. hes at least big enough to run between the tackles and would make an adequate backup. blount hasnt done much recently and ware isnt worth a damn

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#42 : January 11, 2013, 10:53:48 PM

Why not sign a backup to Martin. Felix Jones, Shonn Greene, Danny Woodhead , Rashard Mendenhall  all seem like good options to spell Martin.

big_JLB

Starter

#43 : January 11, 2013, 10:56:54 PM

revised

RESIGN
-FS ronde barber
-DT roy miller
-CB e.j. biggers
-DE daniel t'eo-nesheim
-DE michael bennett

FREE AGENCY:
-CB's derek cox (JAC) and cary williams (BAL)
-OT sebastian vollmer (NE)
-QB david carr (NYG)
-WR domenik hixon (NYG)
-DT glenn dorsey (KC)
-RB brian leonard (CIN)
-FS david bruton (DEN)

DRAFT
round 1: xavier rhodes - CB - florida state
round 2: cornelius carradine - DE - florida state
round 3: levine toilolo - TE - stanford
round 4a: kenjon barner - RB - oregon
round 4b: matt scott - QB - arizona
round 5: leon mcfadden - CB - san diego state
round 6: josh boyce - WR - TCU
round 7: manase foketi - OT - west texas A&M
: January 11, 2013, 11:22:05 PM big_jlb

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#44 : January 11, 2013, 11:10:30 PM

Free Agency

As of now we have $31M in cap space for next season. This includes about $8M rolled over from 2012. This does not include the roughly $14M more we will have from cutting Wright, Trueblood, and Quincy Black. We are talking about roughly $45M in cap space folks. And the Glazers showed they are ready to spend by restructuring Nicks and Jackson last month to clear more cap room for 2013. Think Big.

We can think big but we can't save anything vs. the cap with Trueblood as he's a FA.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: JDub's Off Season Plan « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools