Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Team Needs « previous next »
Page: 1

CanadianBuc

Starter
: January 11, 2013, 10:01:02 PM

I am starting this thread to see the names of more underrated prospects and free agents and also the overrated ones, so in no specific order here is my list.

OVERRATED
Prospects:
1. Eddy Lacy RB - Alabama: The thing with backs from Alabama is that no matter how much they are talented and advertised they never perform as well in the NFL level and I think Lacy will be no different.
2. Ryan Nassib QB - Syracuse: I don't have anything against him but when in one mock I saw him getting drafted in the 2nd Round that is a bit ridiculous but as a backup he should be fine.
3. Dion Jordan DE/OLB - Oregon: I think he will only work in a 3-4 system first of all and he will be pretty good and being a 3-4 outside LB but as a DE to a 4-3 team he is not as good and that is the only reason he is overrated is because if he was drafted to us in a 4-3 system he would really not be that good.

Free Agents:
1. Kevin Ogletree WR - Dallas: I just think that he had a one and done type season in Dallas and all he could be is a decent slot receiver.
2. Jared Cook TE - Tennessee: Nothing against his talent level I just think he is WAY to injury prone to be a great TE
3. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Philadelphia: He is good but not as good as he thinks he is but to be fair I wouldn't mind having him on the team as long as we get him for a reasonable price.

UNDERRATED
Prospects:
1. Nigel Malone CB - Kansas State: He has the potential to be a very good nickel back in the NFL and I would be pleased to get him in the late rounds. I think he his a player to take a pick for because they is very low bust potential.
2. Tarvarres King WR - Georgia: Another player I'm very high on I just think that he could be a very good slot receiver in the NFL with very low bust potential as well.
3. Desmond Trufant CB - Washington: If he went to a bigger name school he would be a 1st Round Pick but better for us we could get him in the 3-4 Rounds and he will be an instant upgrade over E.J Biggers and Leonard Johnson.

Free Agents:
1. Derek Cox CB - Jacksonville: He is solid in coverage and has played well for the solid defence of the Jags. He would be a great cheap addition to the roster.
2. Martellus Bennett TE - New York G: He has been great for the Giants and can instantly solve our problem at TE but he is not really considered as a top TE like he should be
3. Will Beatty RT - New York G: He can also solve a problem but on our OL he would make our O Line better and is not very old. He is an above average RT that we would be lucky to retrieve.

TEAM NEEDS THIS OFF-SEASON:
Backup QB (Mid Priority)
Backup RB (Low Priority)
Slot WR (Mid Priority)
Starting TE (High Priority)
Starting RT (Mid Priority)
Depth OL (Mid Priority)

Backup DT (High Priority)
Backup DE (Mid Priority)
Starting LB (High Priority)
2 Starting CB (HIGH Priority)
Backup CB (Mid Priority)
Starting FS (Mid Priority)

Well there is my list. Let me know what you think and your own predictions. Within the next couple of days I will say who I think we can sign and/or draft to fill each need and stay in our salary cap.

tog

Pro Bowler
#1 : January 12, 2013, 02:58:16 AM

Interesting list.

Couple things:

Desmond Trufant's getting some interest.  I agree with your assessment but I think his stock will really rise between now and the draft and he'll probably be a 2nd rounder.

Martellus Bennett has some problems people forget about. He was 13th in rec. yards for a TE and in TDs for a TE.   This is only the 2nd season (his 1st being a rookie) in which he's scored a TD.  Apparently he struggled in NYG learning the playbook, and while I would like him on the Bucs I think his last year will lead to either a re-signing by the Giants or a too-inflated contract.

I disagree about a starting LB being a high priority, as the SLB sees the least snaps on the field and I think a player like Dekoda Watson could step in and be adequate.

Now I'm quibbling, but if we get 2 starting CBs (say FA and draft), we're set at backups.  EJ Biggers, Gaitor, and whoever else can fill in well at nickel.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#2 : January 12, 2013, 08:10:03 AM

Yes we would have backups but you can predict that at least one CB will go down to injury or be suspended so I think we need someone like Logan Ryan in R2 to have in case of something like that.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#3 : January 12, 2013, 08:49:45 AM

OK well here are my picks of who I think will fill each need along with a fully prepared depth chart if all goes according to plan: (We trade down in R1 to get a second pick in R2)

Backup QB - Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech, 4 Round (2nd Pick): Logan Thomas just reminds me of Russell Wilson but I'm not sure if he is even entering the draft so if he isn't I would go for E.J Manuel, Florida State, 5th Round.

Backup RB - Michael Smith, Buccaneers: I think that the Bucs let Blount go and then promote Michael Smith to Backup. They would then spend a 7th Round pick on another back to develop. Knile Davis, Arkansas, 6th Round.

Slot WR - Julian Edelman, Patriots: This is hard place to pick because the Bucs can take Sammie Stroughter and Tiquan Underwood and keep it like that or they can sign they can sign a talented young guy like Julian Edelman or Ramses Barden.

Starting TE - Zac Ertz, Stanford, Round 2 (Pick 2): The Bucs say they will be drafting a TE early but I would only see them doing that after the first 2 picks so I think this is a very likely scenario. Zac Ertz is a great player and will be our starter for hopefully the next 8-10 years.

Starting RT - Will Beatty, Giants: Will Beatty is a very solid starter and could instantly make our O Line better and keep it safe if we lose another good player next year.

Depth OL - Brian Winters, Kent State, Round 5: Brian Winters is in my opinion about a round underrated but if we can get him he will likely be a solid backup in the years to come.

Backup DE - Nathan Williams, Ohio State, Round 7: Someone who played better then people think and since we already have 3 starting caliber DEs + Te'o Nesheim we don't need to invest big on this position.

Backup DT - Shaun Cody, Texans: Good player coming off an injury who might not be re-signed and DT is a position we can address in FA and don't think we need to use a high pick.

Starting LB - Kahseem Greene, Rutgers, Round 3: A star from rutgers is just what Greg Schiano wants on his team he recruited him to Rutgers and he was the start of his D look for the Bucs to draft him in this draft somewhere.

Starting CB - Marcus Trufant, Seahawks: This is a BIG Maybe because the chance the seahawks don't try to re-sign him are slim but the only way we can get him is if we offer him more money then the Seahawks and he is ours. He is clearly a great player and better then everyone on our roster for sure.

Starting CB - Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State, Round 1: He is the best CB we can get from where we are drafting and we need him badly. I think we can still draft him at the 20-25 spot and can trade down a few times and collect some seconds and thirds.

Backup CB - David Amerson, N.C State, Round 2: He is a ball-hawk and very impressive in coverage. We can benefit a lot by having him on our roster and that would let us release who we need to release based strictly on talent and not need.

Starting FS - Robert Lester, Alabama, Round 4: Barron's old teammate at Alabama and can work very well together. They would be a dynamic Safety duo.

That is me filling every need the Bucs have this year let me know what you think.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#4 : January 12, 2013, 07:03:50 PM

I like the idea of Shaun Cody, will he really be available(hadn't heard that name yet).  Not sure that we need Greene, unless we are planning to use 3 LBs more often.  Who do you want at FA CB if Trufant is not the guy, which I don't see happening.

Also, all of these "potential lineups" drive me nuts, no fault of yours, this is just why the off-season is like the ol' ship's wheel in this pirate's pants...  Arrgh. . .she's drivin' me nuts.

buccaneerNW

Pro Bowler
#5 : January 12, 2013, 08:46:18 PM

Starting TE - Zac Ertz, Stanford, Round 2 (Pick 2): The Bucs say they will be drafting a TE early but I would only see them doing that after the first 2 picks so I think this is a very likely scenario. Zac Ertz is a great player and will be our starter for hopefully the next 8-10 years.

The Bucs say? Really? Don't think so.

Many Bucs fan sites, reporters, and bloggers assume they will draft a TE early. That doesn't mean much. I know the Bucs would never publicly state their draft intentions.

I give it a chance. It wouldn't surprise me, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they didn't draft a TE at all.

- Dont bee kritisyzun gramer end punktushun on dis baored becuz its for talkn uhbowtt the Bukx.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#6 : January 13, 2013, 08:13:19 AM

Sorry I didn't mean they are 100% saying that they will I have seen a bunch of reports that would state that we are looking to find a starting TE.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#7 : January 13, 2013, 02:04:53 PM

I like the idea of Shaun Cody, will he really be available(hadn't heard that name yet).  Not sure that we need Greene, unless we are planning to use 3 LBs more often.  Who do you want at FA CB if Trufant is not the guy, which I don't see happening.

Also, all of these "potential lineups" drive me nuts, no fault of yours, this is just why the off-season is like the ol' ship's wheel in this pirate's pants...  Arrgh. . .she's drivin' me nuts.

I would want either Sean Smith or Derek Cox. We could potentially land both in FA and they would both be upgrades over what we have now. They would also allow us to release players like E.J Biggers who we are only keeping on need and not talent. This move would also let us draft a DT in R1 and draft some CBs in R2, R3 or 4 and then another in R6 or 7.

That would leave our depth chart something like this:

1. David Amerson
2. Desmond Trufant
3. Sean Smith
4. Derek Cox
5. Nigel Malone
6. Leonard Johnson

That list is a LOT better then what we had before and leaves us with a 1st round choice to pick a DT and in case of injury we have plenty of solid depth.

tog

Pro Bowler
#8 : January 14, 2013, 01:59:26 AM

I would want either Sean Smith or Derek Cox. We could potentially land both in FA and they would both be upgrades over what we have now. They would also allow us to release players like E.J Biggers who we are only keeping on need and not talent. This move would also let us draft a DT in R1 and draft some CBs in R2, R3 or 4 and then another in R6 or 7.

1. David Amerson
2. Desmond Trufant
3. Sean Smith
4. Derek Cox
5. Nigel Malone
6. Leonard Johnson

That list is a LOT better then what we had before and leaves us with a 1st round choice to pick a DT and in case of injury we have plenty of solid depth.

Couple things.  Its extremely unlikely Sean Smith will hit free agency given their cap room (I know you're just projecting).  I also think you're being too harsh on Biggers - he even made PFF's the All-NFC South team.  He's someone you want as your nickel, so I'm definitely against getting rid of him (although you of course want competition for him). Still, David Amerson or Trufant and Derek Cox would be an upgrade.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#9 : January 14, 2013, 07:54:07 AM

1. David Amerson
2. Desmond Trufant
3. Sean Smith
4. Derek Cox
5. Nigel Malone
6. Leonard Johnson

Couple things.  Its extremely unlikely Sean Smith will hit free agency given their cap room (I know you're just projecting).  I also think you're being too harsh on Biggers - he even made PFF's the All-NFC South team.  He's someone you want as your nickel, so I'm definitely against getting rid of him (although you of course want competition for him). Still, David Amerson or Trufant and Derek Cox would be an upgrade.

The Dolphins are looking to apparently re-sign Randy Starks first so if he asks for a lot they might just re-sign him and let Sean Smith go.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#10 : January 14, 2013, 03:02:28 PM

Yes I would take E.J as a nickel but if he ever gets launched into a starting role again we are toast... especially in the playoffs and division games
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Team Needs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools