Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper has only 1 CB in his top 25, and he goes early. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 12, 2013, 12:00:15 AM

Mel Kiper's Big Board: Buccaneers stumped at cornerback?

By Sander Philipse on Jan 11, 4:17p 

Justin K. Aller

Mel Kiper's latest big board is out, and it has an interesting player at the top: Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones. That spot will almost certainly be taken by a quarterback, as it in four of the last five seasons, but Jones could be a real threat to take the top spot - if people think he's the second coming of Von Miller.

More interesting for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers is the fact that Dee Milliner is the only cornerback to be listed in this top 25. If that's right, the Bucs will be stumped at their greatest position of need if Milliner is off the board once they pick. And that's likely, given the fact that Milliner is listed as the number 10 player, and the Bucs pick 13th.

The pillar in the secondary for Bama, he got better and better as the season progressed. Milliner's raw football skills are exceptional. His physical prowess is a step above other corners. He hits receivers and isn't shy in run support, but with that, he is fluid, reads the game well and can turn and run with wideouts. High floor.

One position the Bucs could look at is tight end. And Kiper thinks Tyler Eifert could be in their range: he has the Notre Dame product listed at number 16. The Bucs need help at the position, and Eifert could turn out to be exactly what they need.

Officially in the draft, a smart decision. Has pass-catching skills of a natural receiver and can be split out. Eifert is a former WR, catches the ball with ease and can stretch the seams, but he's not an exceptional blocker. Top TE in the class heading into the draft process.

The Bucs would really like a tight end who can both block and pass protect, though. But I'll talk about one prospect who could fit that bill as a first-rounder tomorrow. And if the Bucs can't get that kind of prospect a number of defensive linemen could be intriguing: DT Johnathan Hankins, or DE Ezekiel Ansah could both be good fits as they're listed at number 15 and number 17 respectively by Kiper.

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/1/11/3867020/mel-kipers-big-board-2013-nfl-draft-buccaneers-stumped-at-cornerback

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 12, 2013, 12:04:29 AM

Kiper's opinions are overrated.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 12, 2013, 01:00:03 AM

Thats why they need to pick up one or two CB's in free agency ahead of time.  Then they can go with the flow in the draft.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 12, 2013, 01:36:25 AM

No way they draft a TE in the top 13.

Now, if we see Dom trade down...maybe.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 12, 2013, 02:32:13 AM

No way they draft a TE in the top 13.

Now, if we see Dom trade down...maybe.

Yeah I don't see it.  If Milliner is gone, best DE perhaps.  Or maybe O-lineman.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 12, 2013, 03:58:37 AM

I don't see Milliner falling to us. If so, that's great. With the cap space we have, I'd be shocked if we didn't go after 1-3 bigger names in the CB department. It would definitely give us a clearer picture on where we aim come draft day.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 12, 2013, 08:20:03 AM

With the new rookie contracts structuring, it's made it easy to move up and down. If we like Milliner enough, we'll move up the 5 spots we need. Remember we got a 4th for Talib that could prove to be useful.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Ms Elam

Starter

#7 : January 12, 2013, 08:51:48 AM

but Jones could be a real threat to take the top spot - if people think he's the second coming of Von Miller. 

But is he? The only reason I liked him is because people act as if he is and scouting reports indicate that as well. I've just never seen it. Von Miller is a natural, explosive, physical pass rusher that looks like the Tasmanian devil once he gets going. Jones doesn't look as explosive, his pass rushing style doesn't include a ton of physicality. He just looks more athletic than the college offensive lineman blocking him. I think he is being overrated because of his college production. I could be wrong, Georgia fans who actually watch him regularly speak up.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 12, 2013, 10:02:12 AM

If we land a good free agent corner I actually wouldn't mind the Eifert pick. Dude is good.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 12, 2013, 02:39:58 PM

They will HAVE to do something in free agency as far as CB's go.  No guarantee Milliner will be there.  And I don't like the idea of trading up for him.

Sign Sean Smith and Tracy Porter, then that really opens up the draft for best value players.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

bucs449

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 12, 2013, 02:45:16 PM

And I heard he has Te'o at like 6. I'm one of those who doesn't think he'll be very good as a pro. I respect Kiper because this is his job, but as we know, the draft is such an inexact science.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 12, 2013, 10:20:38 PM

And I heard he has Te'o at like 6. I'm one of those who doesn't think he'll be very good as a pro. I respect Kiper because this is his job, but as we know, the draft is such an inexact science.

Kiper ain't bad, no one hits 100%.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 12, 2013, 10:49:54 PM

How does Kiper still have a job, he's useless and can be quite obnoxious when teams go against what he deems to be the correct pick.
Remember when he was ripping teams for not drafting wideout JJ Stokes and that Ryan Leafs attitude would be a good thing in the pros.
Matt Hasselbeck was a "waste of of a draft pick" but the pick of Akili Smith just gave the Bengals QB they lacked since Boomer "Freeman Hater" Esiason.
I wonder if we will still be seeing him at #1 player in the draft, Mike Williams (USC), Hall of Fame acceptance speech,
The entire reason Matt Millen sucked was he used Mels big board.
Oh and JaMarcus Russell is John Elway like, I guess he got that one right, neither is playing in the NFL now.

How can a man who's only job is to study the draft and has a staff to help him be no better than the average "hardcore fan"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 12, 2013, 10:56:59 PM

How does Kiper still have a job, he's useless and can be quite obnoxious when teams go against what he deems to be the correct pick.
Remember when he was ripping teams for not drafting wideout JJ Stokes and that Ryan Leafs attitude would be a good thing in the pros.
Matt Hasselbeck was a "waste of of a draft pick" but the pick of Akili Smith just gave the Bengals QB they lacked since Boomer "Freeman Hater" Esiason.
I wonder if we will still be seeing him at #1 player in the draft, Mike Williams (USC), Hall of Fame acceptance speech,
Oh and JaMarcus Russell is John Elway like, I guess he got that one right, neither is playing in the NFL now.

How can a man who's only job is to study the draft and has a staff to help him be no better than the average "hardcore fan"

Big Mike Williams......there is a blast from the past.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 12, 2013, 11:14:57 PM

Ask this...how does any GM in the NFL still have a job?  Most of them have blown as many picks as Kiper has done. Someone actually took Leaf and Stokes and Smith, guys who are paid to know better.

The is nothing more amazing than the fact that most NFL teams hire 7 new people a year and can screw up on average 5 of the 7 guys they select.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper has only 1 CB in his top 25, and he goes early. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools