Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DT Value « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

: January 12, 2013, 01:45:16 PM

Taking a closer look at the top half of the first round, DT is a position I see allot of value in. Lotulelei, Hankins and Richardson all have a potential slide with the talent at DE, the need for CB's, and the desperation reaches at QB. Richardson has speed as a rusher, and plays violent, but is more suited to play UT not NT. Hankins has the versatility but lacks some moves, but to me Star is the fit. I've seen him going as high as 2 and as low as late teens. But for my money, we fix the weakest link on the DLine first and see how the others improve before adding another DE.

big_JLB

Starter

#1 : January 12, 2013, 02:00:52 PM

Taking a closer look at the top half of the first round, DT is a position I see allot of value in. Lotulelei, Hankins and Richardson all have a potential slide with the talent at DE, the need for CB's, and the desperation reaches at QB. Richardson has speed as a rusher, and plays violent, but is more suited to play UT not NT. Hankins has the versatility but lacks some moves, but to me Star is the fit. I've seen him going as high as 2 and as low as late teens. But for my money, we fix the weakest link on the DLine first and see how the others improve before adding another DE.

i would hardly call DT the "weakest link" on the d-line, especially when the team's only probowler happens to play the position. however, it might be the position with the most frightening lack of depth. i agree that DT needs to be addressed this offseason, but i'm fairly confident it will be done through free agency rather than the draft. unless lotulelei falls to #13 (which i dont think happens) or one of them makes it into the 2nd, i dont see them taking a DT early. if lotulelei did fall i love the pick, as long as they made sure to take a CB in the 2nd, and probably in the 3rd or 4th as well (preferably will davis from utah state or even logan ryan from rutgers and then someone like leon mcfadden or adrian bushell with one of the 4th round picks). if one of the projected first rounders fell to the 2nd i wouldn't mind it as well, but I think its more likely that we'll see a DT signed, maybe even two. personally i hope its glenn dorsey, that guy has been playing the wrong position for the last four years. they may even bring in a second-teir player like sammie-lee hill or derek landri (had interest in him last offseason before he resigned with philly)

defensive end on the other hand...needs a boost
: January 12, 2013, 02:03:17 PM big_jlb

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 12, 2013, 02:06:33 PM

Hankins is a reach at 13. He took way too many plays off for my liking but when his motor was on, he was Michael Brockers good.

Sheldon Richardson would be a good value pick and Star will not leave the top 5.

Oakland, Jacksonville, or Cleveland will jump all over him.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#3 : January 12, 2013, 02:09:12 PM

i would hardly call DT the "weakest link" on the d-line, especially when the team's only probowler happens to play the position. however, it might be the position with the most frightening lack of depth. i agree that DT needs to be addressed this offseason, but i'm fairly confident it will be done through free agency rather than the draft. unless lotulelei falls to #13 (which i dont think happens) or one of them makes it into the 2nd, i dont see them taking a DT early. if lotulelei did fall i love the pick, as long as they made sure to take a CB in the 2nd, and probably in the 3rd or 4th as well (preferably will davis from utah state or even logan ryan from rutgers and then someone like leon mcfadden or adrian bushell with one of the 4th round picks). if one of the projected first rounders fell to the 2nd i wouldn't mind it as well, but I think its more likely that we'll see a DT signed, maybe even two. personally i hope its glenn dorsey, that guy has been playing the wrong position for the last four years. they may even bring in a second-teir player like sammie-lee hill or derek landri (had interest in him last offseason before he resigned with philly)

I was referring to Miller at the nose.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#4 : January 12, 2013, 02:14:30 PM

Hankins is a reach at 13. He took way too many plays off for my liking but when his motor was on, he was Michael Brockers good.

Sheldon Richardson would be a good value pick and Star will not leave the top 5.

3 teams with no QB's, sure one of them might jump, but when you start throwing in Werner, Jones, Moore, etc it's realistic to see Star get pushed back a bit. Not saying he will but he fits our need at the nose the best of the 3 DT's listed.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 12, 2013, 02:19:06 PM

For run D, we're in good shape on the D'line. On 3rd down passing situations, we have 1 DT who can affect the opposing QB; Gerald McCoy. We had great plans for Brian Price playing next to McCoy, but after he failed we never really replaced the potential envisioned. IMO, that's long overdue...

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 12, 2013, 02:21:00 PM

3 teams with no QB's, sure one of them might jump, but when you start throwing in Werner, Jones, Moore, etc it's realistic to see Star get pushed back a bit. Not saying he will but he fits our need at the nose the best of the 3 DT's listed.
Oakland has Carson Palmer under contract. CLE and JAX both drafted a QB in the first round last year. I think Tyler Wilson's name will be hot come combine and him and Geno Smith will be taken in the top 10.

I have Wilson going to BUF. Star is the best defensive linemen, best defensive player in the draft compared to his peers. We should trade up if some magical way if slides out the top 5.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 12, 2013, 03:13:00 PM

Cle and Jax also have new GM's and new coaches which usually means new QB. Now they may get one in FA but it wouldn't be the first time teams reached in the top 15 for QB's. Hell Ponder and Locker went a LOT higher than they should have.

big_JLB

Starter

#8 : January 12, 2013, 03:19:34 PM

I was referring to Miller at the nose.

Miller was solid this year, even if he doesn't have the stats to back it up. Dude helped anchor the #1 run defence in the league. I'm not saying he's irreplaceable, but I hope they bring him back at a reasonable price because he's stout and at the very least will provide good depth along with Gibson.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 12, 2013, 03:59:25 PM

star will be gone in the top 10 barring an injury, unforseen medical problem, or failed drugtest. guy is very similar to ngata and guys that big and that quick dont come along often. IF he was on the board when we picked id draft him in a heartbeat and worry about corners in round 2 and 3

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 12, 2013, 04:02:51 PM

star will be gone in the top 10 barring an injury, unforseen medical problem, or failed drugtest. guy is very similar to ngata and guys that big and that quick dont come along often. IF he was on the board when we picked id draft him in a heartbeat and worry about corners in round 2 and 3

Well Ngata was drafted at #12 so let's hope :)

big_JLB

Starter

#11 : January 12, 2013, 04:05:50 PM

+10000000000

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#12 : January 12, 2013, 06:05:22 PM

For run D, we're in good shape on the D'line. On 3rd down passing situations, we have 1 DT who can affect the opposing QB; Gerald McCoy. We had great plans for Brian Price playing next to McCoy, but after he failed we never really replaced the potential envisioned. IMO, that's long overdue...

Totally agree with this^^^^

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#13 : January 12, 2013, 07:05:38 PM

So if Star makes it to say #8... Do you start making calls to get him?

How many double or triple teams does Miller get?????? Wanna improve your pass rush, free up your rushers.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 12, 2013, 07:12:40 PM

Trading up for a DT would be beyond stupid.  Hell, I don't even like Richardson as much as most people.  I wouldn't even draft him if he fell to Tampa.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DT Value « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools