Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DT Value « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#15 : January 12, 2013, 07:22:38 PM

Gotta say I agree with Biggs.  Unless somehow we are somehow Rock Solid at CB then there is no way this makes sense, and not even really then.  There are too many needs at other positions on this team to start trading away picks to improve a position that is not a big priority.  Miller does well against the run, and we need depth and maybe an upgrade to rush the passer.  Not enough to lose draft picks over, though.  Would you rather trade up for your favorite DT, or to get your favorite CB in this draft?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#16 : January 12, 2013, 07:26:04 PM

Why not fix the the interior defensive line thru FA? There are more quality DTs in this free agent period than I ever remember seeing before. We don't need a 1 in 1,000,000 freak three technique. We just need a good nose tackle. Much easier to do and no reason to spend a top pick on that position when we the cap and several different options in FA. We had the number one rush defense with Miller and Gibson playing NT...so it's not even a huge need. We can grab a upgrade or even two in FA and be done with it.

I will say this though, if we sign a couple DTs and a couple CBs in FA, then we go into the draft with no huge holes and we can just sit back and take BPA without the pressure of filling a need.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 12, 2013, 07:28:42 PM

Also, I love Richardson and think he could add more pass rush, but I'm not sure he is a nose tackle. He's a nice pass rusher, but if he can't eat blocks and stop the run then it wouldn't even be a good pick for us.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#18 : January 12, 2013, 07:42:52 PM

Why not fix the the interior defensive line thru FA? There are more quality DTs in this free agent period than I ever remember seeing before. We don't need a 1 in 1,000,000 freak three technique. We just need a good nose tackle. Much easier to do and no reason to spend a top pick on that position when we the cap and several different options in FA. We had the number one rush defense with Miller and Gibson playing NT...so it's not even a huge need. We can grab a upgrade or even two in FA and be done with it.

I will say this though, if we sign a couple DTs and a couple CBs in FA, then we go into the draft with no huge holes and we can just sit back and take BPA without the pressure of filling a need.

Good post JDub, use FA to get to a BPA draft scenario and let the draft come to you.  That is the formula for building a good team.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 12, 2013, 07:44:56 PM

I think that is the formula, and we are very fortunate to have a free agency heavy with DTs and CBs, and the cap room to take advantage of it. Should be interesting.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 12, 2013, 07:46:39 PM

I'm always game for upgrades, but Miller and Gibson played well enough that I would feel comfortable going into 2013 with them at NT again.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
#21 : January 13, 2013, 06:33:36 AM

Can somebody please fill me in on who this Star guy is so I can watch some film? Dont follow much college football til around now.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 13, 2013, 06:41:08 AM

Can somebody please fill me in on who this Star guy is so I can watch some film? Dont follow much college football til around now.
Star Lotulelei from Utah.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 13, 2013, 09:11:49 AM

The thing is we, obviously, don't have an issue with run stuffing at DT. Any DT we add only adds value if he brings us pass rush. None of the DT's on the market or really even in the draft bring that to the game.

We clearly need depth at the spot but I'm not sure you spend big $$$$ or high picks on guys who are reserves.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 13, 2013, 11:36:15 AM

We need better pass rush out of our DE's , not our nose tackle.

If your nose tackle is eating double teams and stuffing the run that's all you need out of him. Gibson and Miller do that just fine.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 13, 2013, 03:45:43 PM

It really is hard to even try to predict what Dom and coach Schiano will do in the Draft before seeing how the FA frenzy plays out.

I can't wait to see who we pickup/what the plan is in FA.

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 13, 2013, 07:34:12 PM

If your nose tackle is eating double teams and stuffing the run that's all you need out of him. Gibson and Miller do that just fine.

Miller and Gibson got double teamed??....when????

McCoy came out and said it was Clayborn getting the extra attention until he got hurt, then it shifted to him. Miller was serviceable but lets not act like he was dominant. You put Star on that line and McCoy & Clayborn will will feast.

If you bring in a DE, does he rotate, or do you give up on Bowers, Clayborn, or Bennett???

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 13, 2013, 07:50:49 PM

The D-line can determine  who gets the most doubles by how they line up . Most 4-3 defenses stagger the line to free up thier best pass rushers .

Take a look at this picture , and tell me how it's possible to double the RE and the 3 tech  (Undertackle). One has to be free by sheer numbers, and in order to double just one of them requires the center or guard to move out of position , making the line susceptible to blitzes.

You can see why the nose tackle always draws so many doubles , even though he is less of a threat as a pass rusher. He lines up right in the center's grill and engages him. The Bucs did this for years to free up Warren Sapp.

This is why I laugh whenever fans suggest drafting nose tackles or Sam LB'ers high in the draft. Those guys are like the fullbacks of the defense. All they do is eat blockers for your playmakers.
: January 13, 2013, 08:07:03 PM Fire Mark Dummynik

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 13, 2013, 08:29:45 PM

Good post JDub, use FA to get to a BPA draft scenario and let the draft come to you.  That is the formula for building a good team.

This is exactly what we need to do and we have the FA $$$ to make it happen.  Teams make mistakes when we reach for need.   Also, I like the approach that MD used last year.  If you see a player you covet, be aggressive and make sure you get him.  It certainly worked with Martin and David.....not so much with Stocker but that happened because we weren't aggressive in FA that year and HAD to get a TE and drafted for need and reached as well as overspent

Dy-nasty D

Starter
#29 : January 13, 2013, 10:30:07 PM

Miller and Gibson got double teamed??....when????

McCoy came out and said it was Clayborn getting the extra attention until he got hurt, then it shifted to him. Miller was serviceable but lets not act like he was dominant. You put Star on that line and McCoy & Clayborn will will feast.

If you bring in a DE, does he rotate, or do you give up on Bowers, Clayborn, or Bennett???

^^^^^^!!!!!!!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DT Value « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools