Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: EJ Manuel « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 13, 2013, 08:27:32 AM

Seriously?

Manuel is a joke.   His game against UF this season is perfect proof of why he's garbage.  Racked up stats against crappy ACC teams.

You think Freeman drives you crazy? Manuel is worse.

+1

Stay away from Manuel, far far away.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Freeman2WilliamsTD

Rookie

#16 : January 13, 2013, 08:59:23 AM

A couple big problems with EJ:

1.  He can't throw the ball from under center.  I've watched the noles all season and EJ can't make decisions fast enough which means he is both a 1 read guy and doesn't know anything about reading defenses.
2.  He has a mediocre arm for a big guy.  Its rare to see him put any zip on the ball and when he does he has a tendency to overthrow.
3.  He doesn't like to tuck and run the ball despite his athleticism.  But that might be Jimbo telling him to not run.
4.  Poor pocket presence.  Takes too many hits and doesnt throw the ball away when he doesnt have a play.

He has great career stats but a lot of that is overblown because he played 3 years against terrible competition despite being surrounded by superior talent

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 13, 2013, 09:45:42 AM

1.  He can't throw the ball from under center.  I've watched the noles all season and EJ can't make decisions fast enough which means he is both a 1 read guy and doesn't know anything about reading defenses.
2.  He has a mediocre arm for a big guy.  Its rare to see him put any zip on the ball and when he does he has a tendency to overthrow.
3.  He doesn't like to tuck and run the ball despite his athleticism.  But that might be Jimbo telling him to not run.
4.  Poor pocket presence.  Takes too many hits and doesnt throw the ball away when he doesnt have a play.

He has great career stats but a lot of that is overblown because he played 3 years against terrible competition despite being surrounded by superior talent

Excellent breakdown.  Your #3 is a big one JDouble is missing.  Manuel has the athleticism to do with Kap did, but Manuel is a puss.  He's scared to run and take a hit.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#18 : January 13, 2013, 09:47:21 AM

I'm a HUGE Noles fan, and ^^^THIS^^^ sums up EJ Manuel pretty freaking accurately! My thoughts EXACTLY!

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 13, 2013, 10:21:23 AM

Not a huge fan.

Issues #1 and #4 would be of great concern.

Turn the page.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 13, 2013, 10:33:53 AM

I don't agree with #1 or #2. I see him going thru progressions and throwing lasers from the pocket quite often. His short to medium throws are quick and mostly accurate. He's got a beautiful deep ball as well. He's far from an Andrew Luck when it comes to the mental aspect, but he isn't completely void of the ability to read defenses and progress thru reads. He would need to improve in that area, but so does every QB in the draft.

#3...I see a willingness to run. I don't want a run first QB. I want a QB that can run and when he needs to, and he makes smart decisions to avoid contact.....like a QB should. Call it a "puss" if you like, I call it smart. He is no Newton, RG3, or Kaepernick, but he has the size and mobility to be a dual threat and make things hard on a defense. Plus he throws very well while on the move.

#4 I agree with. He isn't a finished product. He has lots of short comings. However, there are no great, polished, elite QBs in this draft. If we are going to take one, I'd like to get the guy that is big and mobile, who has shown the ability to throw with great accuracy while scrambling. That right there gives him a chance to be good. How will he improve in other areas where he is lacking? Nobody knows. That's why we have a draft.

He'd get a year to sit while Freeman flames out in 2013. If the coaches aren't impressed with his progression in practice, then he stays the back up and we draft a new QB in the 1st next year. Not the end of the world.

: January 13, 2013, 10:38:09 AM JDouble

ehinote

Starter
#21 : January 13, 2013, 10:39:54 AM

I know I'll get more negative feedback than positive on this thread, but I don't care. EJ Manuel is basically Josh Freeman of 2010. You know, back before Freeman was lobotomized and started sucking. If EJ Manuel is still there in the 2nd round, we have to take him. Persoanlly, I think his stock will rise and he'll be gone before then...but if he is there he has to be the pick.

I'm sorry jdouble...but Manuel will be a waste of a pick in any round. He had a team so talented around him that if he could have played average in the big games they could have won a national title this year. Fsu is all the better for not having Manuel next year. Horrible vision, very inaccurate, and his long release will hurt him even more in the NFL.

T.I. McCrown: King of the South

Starter
#22 : January 13, 2013, 10:49:56 AM

Every FSU fan I know has confirmed pretty much everything already being stated. We should stay far, far away from EJ.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 13, 2013, 10:54:40 AM

Every FSU fan I know has confirmed pretty much everything already being stated. We should stay far, far away from EJ.

Not comparing the two in any way but who wanted Tom Brady coming out if college? A late round pick would be a fair cost for EJ IMO.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 13, 2013, 11:00:42 AM

I don't want him either. Not impressed. If he's like Freeman why would you get him?? Makes no sense to me..at all. You already have one who's gone through the bs process already and has experience. I know he's not everybody's favorite right now and some have given up completely on him but its still very possible that he turns his game around and is our QB for a long time. What do you guys do then if that happens? The moment he has a bad game it's see I told you he sucks. That's the way our fans have gotten about him I think. Wait till next year guys when our offense is better than it was this year and we go to the playoffs. You won't be complaining for a new QB then but only if your egos allow that.

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 13, 2013, 11:46:46 AM

For guys that moan and cry about inconsistency, I can't believe that you guys are sold on any QBs coming out this year.

Freeman is the starting QB and will be for 2013. Deal with it. Too many holes to fill to be talking QB on day one and two of the draft.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

MrGruden

Second String

#26 : January 13, 2013, 12:28:40 PM

So EJ is JDubs new chad spann... The bucs have to draft him or they're doomed! Doomed I tell ya!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 13, 2013, 12:31:35 PM

I think the majority of people that have watched Manuel in anything other than his highlight reels think he sucks.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 13, 2013, 12:59:58 PM

So it's official.
This is how Jdouble's Manuel pitch has gone over with the rest of the board :

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 13, 2013, 01:17:43 PM

not a good idea.

EJ has 1st round tools but his decision making is very questionable. he is a 3rd rounder at best to a strong team that wants a guy to develop for a couple years. EJ would fit a team like the Texans in the 3rd or 4th round. theyve got an entrenched starter for at least a few more years and want to run play action and polay good defence. the bucs run an offense that needs a qb making snap decisions and EJ just isnt that kind of guy. he could be a good one but he needs some polish and a good qb coach for a couple years
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: EJ Manuel « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools