Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Waiting On John McNulty « previous next »
Page: 1

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« : January 13, 2013, 02:40:41 PM »

Waiting On John McNulty
January 13th, 2013

So who did Larry Fitzgerald fly to the Pro Bowl as his personal guest after the 2011 season?

That would be his then Cardinals position coach John McNulty, Greg Schiano’s former offensive coordinator at Rutgers.

Schiano tried to hire McNulty from the Cardinals last year, presumably to be his offensive coordinator, but was denied by the Cardinals brass. However, McNulty is now a free agent after being fired from Arizona with Ken Whisenhunt’s staff.

As Bucs fans hold their collective breath hoping/praying that offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan isn’t the lucky one among the 13 known candidates vying for the Bears head coaching job, the Bucs still have three key coaching vacancies to fill: quarterbacks, receivers and defensive backs.

McNulty is a name to watch, and that’s no big surprise. Today, CoachingSearch.com guru Pete Rousell even told Joe that McNulty is a near lock to land in Tampa.

Joe believes McNulty would come to the Bucs as a receivers coach, not as a quarterbacks coach, the job he held in Arizona in 2012.

McNulty, who played safety at Penn State, had success as a receivers coach with the Jaguars under Tom Coughlin (Keenan McCardell and Jimmy Smith) and worked in Dallas for Bill Parcells, before joining Schiano at Rutgers and moving on to the Cardinals.

Schiano must be salivating at the chance to add his trusted buddy McNulty to the Bucs family. And, frankly, it would be tough for the Bucs to find a receivers coach with better experience. Plus, in Schiano’s mind, McNulty could represent insurance if/when Sullivan leaves town.

Joe suspects the Bucs will lock up McNulty sooner rather than later. It’s hard to imagine McNulty’s resume leaving him without multiple job offers.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/

CTGuyton

Second String

« #1 : January 13, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »

McNulty being versatile enough to come in as QB or WR coach gives Shiano a lot of freedom in picking BPA among coaches for either WR or QB.

Personally, I think as OC in waiting, it would better serve us to have him as QB coach. Give a little stability to Freeman.

BucD

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 13, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »

QB coach or WR coach...it SEEMS like it's all but guaranteed to happen...not sure what the delay is though...

My guess? They are waiting to see if Sullivan is staying or leaving...fairly obvious...

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #3 : January 13, 2013, 03:43:45 PM »

didn't like anything about the Cardinals QBs last season - is McNulty sharing in the blame?

BucD

Hall of Famer

« #4 : January 13, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »

Or is more that none of the QBs on the Cardinals don't even belong in the league as backups much less starters...

Kolb is backup quality at best...if he can even stay healthy that is...

Tampafan8251

Starter
« #5 : January 13, 2013, 04:22:21 PM »

I don't think anyone could of done a good job with that group of'qb's last year, I would like this hire a lot because lets face it, Sullivan will be gone next year if this Offense and Freeman have a good year, and McNulty would than be moved to the OC spot and that would be great if Freeman is still here and the rest of the O so they don't have to get used to someone else, I still think Sully will be back for this year but after that I am sure he gets a HC job somewhere

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 13, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »

Assuming someone doesn't offer McNulty a HC job, I'd say we've got a good shot at him. While we're at it, same drill applies for Whisenhunt too  ;D  I think he'd be a good fit here!!

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #7 : January 14, 2013, 07:26:15 AM »

you'd expect Whisenhunt to get another shot at HC ----interviewing with SD, so maybe there.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 14, 2013, 02:22:44 PM »

This seems like good press for Schiano, can't be.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Tampafan8251

Starter
« #9 : January 14, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »

I really hope we dont lose Sully, and seeing today he is a finalist for the Bears job worries me, but if you look back to last year McNulty is the guy Schiano wanted first for his OC job so the good thing is if Sully leaves Schiano will have McNulty run the same O, I just rather have Sully one more year with Freeman and this O to see how much better the players flourish after another offseason learning this O

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : January 15, 2013, 06:22:45 AM »

how about this guy if Sullivan leaves?

Pat Shurmur joins Jets’ offensive coordinator candidate list

Former Browns coach Pat Shurmur could surface in New York.

Shurmur, fired in Cleveland immediately after the regular season ended, has drawn interest from the Jets as they try to fill their offensive coordinator vacancy, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports.

Although he wasn’t successful as a head coach in Cleveland, Shurmur had a good reputation as an offensive coach before becoming the top guy with the Browns, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see him land a coordinator’s job this season. Shurmur also has an interview with the Panthers today.

Cam Cameron, who was fired as the Ravens’ offensive coordinator in December, interviewed for the offensive coordinator job with the Jets today. Former Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg interviewed on Friday, and Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton will interview on Tuesday. Bengals assistant Hue Jackson is in the mix for the Jets job as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/14/pat-shurmur-joins-jets-offensive-coordinator-candidate-list/

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #11 : January 15, 2013, 07:17:03 AM »

Doesn't look like Sullivan made it to the finals with the Bears search (PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/14/arians-becomes-a-bears-finalist-too/).

Bears apparently are settling on either Trestman, Bevell or Arians. So it appears that Sullivan is safe for this year.

I've been wondering why Schiano hasn't already locked up McNulty. It's been a couple of weeks since he was fired and we have two potential coaching spots he could fill. Could McNulty be waiting on the head coaching positions to fill out to see if he has other options or does Schiano have his eye on a coach that is interviewing for one of the Head coaching positions?

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Waiting On John McNulty « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools